Can we stop Resolve from locking file access?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Michael McCaffrey

Can we stop Resolve from locking file access?

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 6:56 pm

resolve error.PNG
resolve error.PNG (3.59 KiB) Viewed 2769 times

When I render VFX shots from Nuke with Resolve open, and try to overwrite the file in my Resolve sequence, I get the error, "File in Use" and "that action cant be completed because the file is open in DaVinci Resolve." Even if I am in Resolve and have fixed something and want to re-export from Resolve and overwrite the original file, I get an error. If Im trying to export a brand new clip in Resolve and the render fails and I have to re-export it, I have to change the file name so I dont get another error saying it cant overwrite the existing file. If a file was named incorrectly and I need to rename it, I cant, if I need to move its location, I cant. Any kind of file modification that Resolve is using is completely impossible! Every time I need to change a file, I need to exit resolve, rename the file, and then re-open Resolve. Surely there has GOT to be a better way!

I remember in the beta versions of 15b01 etc that modifying the files was possible. And if a file in use in Resolve was overwritten by another application, the file would be automatically updated in Resolve. That is how it should work!

When trying to export a clip, sometimes I end up with 4 or 5 versions of the one clip because I cant keep overwriting it. And if each clip is 1-2 gigabytes, then I end up with 10 gigabytes of clips, 8GB of them being useless. Then I have to go back and delete the other ones, but guess what? I cant! I have to close Resolve, then delete the clips, re-open Resolve etc etc etc. This is a nightmare.

Can we please have Resolve go back to the hold way of handling file access? Or AT LEAST, give the editor the option in the software to choose how Resolve handles file access for the files its using? I very much preferred the way it worked in the betas.

nuke error.PNG
nuke error.PNG (4.59 KiB) Viewed 2638 times
Configuration:
Resolve Studio (Always the Latest)
Windows 11 Pro Workstation
32 Core AMD Ryzen Threadripper 256GB RAM
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS
(1) 32" Ultra-Wide Display, (1) 4K 27” Display

Michael McCaffrey

Re: Can we stop Resolve from locking file access?

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 3:54 pm

recording failed resolve.PNG
recording failed resolve.PNG (4.25 KiB) Viewed 2604 times

This is the message I get trying to overwrite a .mov from the deliver page
Configuration:
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS

Igor Riđanović

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 6:33 pm

This kills me daily--not being able to delete locked out files.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Blomerius

PostFri Mar 29, 2019 3:37 pm

Same Problem for me...
I work for an Animation Studio and we think about to switching to Resolve.
The biggest problem so far: sometimes i have 100 actualization of shots a day...
Our perfect content-management-software show me all the updated Shots and normaly need to push just one button to get them from the server...
Its not acceptable for me to close the Resolve-Project before updating.
I need the possibility to change the Shots while the project is running.
I`de tried a lot of things but nothing worked for me...
Mabye you have an idea, or an work around to solve my problem.
Or you thing about the ides from Michael McCaffreys and make the File access switchable.
Thanks from Germany!
Björn

Greg_E

PostFri Mar 29, 2019 6:39 pm

Considering that Resolve rarely (if ever) actually writes to the source files (non-destructive), I'm surprised that this happens. The problem when saving an export doesn't make sense, it should just ask if you want to overwrite since it technically "owns" the file it previously wrote.

That said I'm sure the fix is a lot harder than we would think.

Michael McCaffrey

PostTue Apr 02, 2019 2:57 pm

Greg_E wrote:Considering that Resolve rarely (if ever) actually writes to the source files (non-destructive), I'm surprised that this happens. The problem when saving an export doesn't make sense, it should just ask if you want to overwrite since it technically "owns" the file it previously wrote.

That said I'm sure the fix is a lot harder than we would think.

The fix cannot be too hard considering that the beta versions worked better and allowed a person to overwrite the files inside and outside of Resolve. It was in the later stages of the 15 betas that BMD changed it so the files are locked and now cannot be deleted outside of Resolve or overwritten within it.
Configuration:
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS

Aymeric

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 9:29 am

Yep, we have the same issue. We have a sort of VFX workflow with source files being updated regularly, and it's proven to be problematic. Having locked files is really impractical.

Not only that, but Resolve doesn't update the files. If files didn't have audio before, but now do, a source folder refresh shows they now do, but Resolve doesn't update the source clips in the media storage window unless they are -not relinked- but replaced. If the in point of the source clips change (timecode remaining accurate), same issue, but now it completely misinterprets the timecode.

Example: dailies clip X started at TC 0:01. We edited with dailies. In re-rendering the clip we dumped the first unused 1 sec and 10 frames.
New clip (same name) now starts at TC 1:11, and is therefore 1 second and 10 frames shorter (removed from the head)
I refresh the source folder, Resolve shows the new timecode correctly.

I go to the media storage window where my clips and timeline are, but instead of saying this clip now starts at 1:11, it still says it starts at 0:01. Re-linking the clip does nothing.
If I replace the clip with itself using Replace Selected Clip. It will now say the clip starts correctly, but has slid the footage of all the edits using this clip back by 1 sec and 10fr. :o

Michael McCaffrey

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 5:50 pm

BMD, can you please comment on this issue? Can this be fixed? Or give us option somewhere in the settings to disable it?
Configuration:
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS

stanza

PostThu Sep 05, 2019 6:12 am

This also kills me on a daily basis.

Return to DaVinci Resolve