DaVinci Resolve 15 User Manual update

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

DaVinci Resolve 15 User Manual update

PostWed Mar 27, 2019 1:22 am

Our support web site now has the latest DaVinci Resovle 15 User Manual update.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/family/davinci-resolve-and-fusion

If you find anything we can improve on please let me know.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

roger.magnusson

Re: New DaVinci Resovle 15 User Manual update

PostWed Mar 27, 2019 2:57 pm

Maybe change the wording about EDL capabilities on page 772. There it is implied that you can import audio tracks from EDL, but EDL import/export in Resolve is limited to video tracks.
Resolve 15.3 March 2019 Manual, page 772 wrote:If you need to move projects with multiple tracks of audio and video, then you can export each track as a separate EDL from the originating application

Here's a typo, DEDL should be DLEDL.
Resolve 15.3 March 2019 Manual, page 773 wrote:The primary supported format is CMX 3600, although DaVinci Resolve also supports the DEDL format exported by both Smoke and Flame.

Eric Testroete

PostMon Apr 01, 2019 4:09 am

You might consider making the manual SEO friendly.

So many times you see "read the manual" one these forums. Fair enough.

But people these days use google to find the answers to their problems. This forum comes up a lot, but the manual never comes up.

It seems a shame it's so dense with information, but it's not really searchable and to be honest, quite tedious to navigate.
DR Studio 16.1.1.005, Win10Pro 1909/18363.535 - i7-7700HQ@2.8GHz, 16GB RAM
GTX 1050 4GB, "Studio" driver 441.66
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe - Project: 1TB NVMe - Cache: 1TB NVMe

sdubois

PostMon Apr 01, 2019 7:44 am

I would also vote for making the manual
- web-browsable. A web version would allow users to benefit from the latest information instead of referring to outdated manuals.
- with modern search capabilities e.g Algolia, which could also provide the BlackMagic Design team with insights into what keywords are most searched for by users. It is currently very difficult for me to find information within this 2600 pages manual, as the search function of the macOS preview app doesn't correctly find sequences of words (e.g if I search for 'zoom preset', it will just give all the locations with either of those two words, in no particular order).
- It could also make it easier to translate the manual to other languages.

Tom Early

PostMon Apr 01, 2019 8:40 am

sdubois wrote:I would also vote for making the manual
- web-browsable. A web version would allow users to benefit from the latest information instead of referring to outdated manuals.
- with modern search capabilities e.g Algolia, which could also provide the BlackMagic Design team with insights into what keywords are most searched for by users. It is currently very difficult for me to find information within this 2600 pages manual, as the search function of the macOS preview app doesn't correctly find sequences of words (e.g if I search for 'zoom preset', it will just give all the locations with either of those two words, in no particular order).
- It could also make it easier to translate the manual to other languages.

You can search for phrases using quotation marks, just like advanced searches anywhere else
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

sdubois

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 12:45 pm

Tom Early wrote:You can search for phrases using quotation marks, just like advanced searches anywhere else

I believed to have tried that, but obviously didn't try correctly! Works fine with quotation marks. Silly me.

sdubois

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 12:49 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:If you find anything we can improve on please let me know.

p.2514 "To adjust a keyframe in only one direction" ... "Move the pointer over a keyframe so
that the four-way cursor appears, and then click and drag ..." --> should I think be " ... and then SHIFT-click and drag"?

John Epton

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 1:39 pm

Flattening Multi-Cam clip details on Page 522

As the last process in creating a Multi-Cam timeline, the manual describes how to "Flatten a Multi-Cam clip in the Timeline". This correctly deals with a single segment and almost implies that dealing with one section of the split up multi-cam clip is all that needs to be done. It is confusing as to whether flattening the selection automatically flattens the whole of the original multicam clip or just that section.

After a Multi-Cam edit there could be a very large number of clips that need to be flattened. So my next step was to select all the clips and right click to get to the Flatten Clip menu choice. However Flatten did not appear as a menu choice.

After lots of experimentation, I discovered that if multiple clips are selected, the Flatten option does not appear if just one of the clips has already been flattened. I think that this is an unnecessary and unhelpful restriction since the flatten option could easily be applied and just ignore clips that are already flat. Hence significantly speeding up the process.

I feel that the manual should also better describe the situation and give some clue as to whether it is necessary to do the flattening before going to the delivery page.
Resolve Studio 18 Fusion Studio 18 Desktop Video 12.1
Apple Mac M1 Studio
64 GB Memory
10 Cores
32c GPU
Disc 1 TB
BMD Speed Editor

Elimelech

PostTue Apr 09, 2019 1:35 pm

The main title page should include "Resolve" instead of "Resovle"

BMD Web Engineering

Blackmagic Design

Re: New DaVinci Resolve 15 User Manual update

PostTue Apr 09, 2019 8:44 pm

Thanks for picking that up Alfred.

MRomine

PostFri Apr 26, 2019 3:30 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:If you find anything we can improve on please let me know.

Could I get a direct link to the User manual for Resolve 15? When I click on the link you provided and search for Resolve 15 manual I get nothing.

Thanks

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Apr 26, 2019 10:52 pm

Fourth item down in the center column.

https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... 4708500000
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Brad Hurley

PostMon Apr 29, 2019 1:48 pm

One minor suggestion: In the Editing Basics chapter (which is excellent overall), there are five references to "the lowest track with Auto-select enabled." For clarity, those should be changed to read "the lowest-numbered track with Auto-select enabled." When I first read it, I thought this meant the physically lowest track (e.g., if you have 150 tracks in your timeline, it would put it way down at the bottom). The chapter does have a couple of references to the "lowest-numbered track," but they should all be worded this way.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Clifford Rourke

PostTue Jun 11, 2019 4:12 pm

In the Resolve version 15 manual (having 2739 pages), on page 163 paragraph titled "Resolution" the following statement may need an update:

"to reduce the bandwidth of your optimized media further by reducing its resolution by half, quarter, eighth or sixteenth"

This contradicts the Proxy resolution table shown on page 164 which states that half 8k width is 50% of the size of full 8k, quarter 8k is 25% of the size of full 8k, etc., etc.

Rather than saying "reducing its resolution by half," the sentence should say reducing its resolution to half. As written, the manual is saying that I can reduce resolution by a quarter or %25 percent leaving a proxy that is %75 of the original size. Again, this contradicts data on page 165 in Proxy resolution.

What I think you mean is that I can reduce resolution to %25 or %25 of the original size.
Clifford Rourke
Las Vegas Photographer
AMD 1950x, Asus 399 mobo, 32Gb DDR 3200 Ram (which 399 can't seem to run at 3200), 660 gbu, 50 inch Samsung 4K ultra UHD bla bla bla monitor.

Return to DaVinci Resolve