Full Screen 'Viewer' on second display...

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jim Jordan

Re: Full Screen 'Viewer' on second display...

PostWed Apr 10, 2019 4:13 pm

Marc,

Thanks for your advice on this thread. I support your comments. You are only trying to give direction on how to achieve the best results. Please keep giving this forum you knowledge.

Jim

Peter Benson

PostWed Apr 10, 2019 5:31 pm

Glenn Venghaus wrote:...And if [you're] smart use multiple monitor inputs (like another user also described in an earlier post) you can softswitch between different inputs and use a singe monitor even more efficiently. I have a 3 monitor setup but feels like a 5 by smart switching this way.

+1 Brilliant!

ResolveStudio 14.3...014 | MiniMonitor | DTV 10.9.7 | Win8.1 x64 | ROG G751JL, 2.8GHz Intel i7HQ, 24GB DDR4, 1TB HD, 500GB EVO 850, 2GB GTX965M | Mackie MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2 | more...
DTV 10.9.7 > Kingston SD5000T > MiniMonitor > Bravia | Samsung U28D590 | DRS 14.3.0.014 | Win8.1 x64 | ASUS G751JL, i7-4720HQ, 24GB | GTX965M | 1TB HDD, 500GB EVO 850 SSD | MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2

Piotr Wozniacki

PostThu Apr 11, 2019 4:38 pm

Glenn, Andrew

Looking at Glenn's pictures and considering advise from both of you I think it would indeed be much easier to buy a larger fan and affix it directly to the heatsink, leaving the factory fan where it is (I don’t even know how to remove it, and using force might damage this expensive card). However: is such a solution going to be efficient enough? I mean that with the fan deep "inside" the heatsink "pocket", the air is indeed forced between the heatsink's "blades" - whereas with the other, simpler solution, not so much... Or am I making it too complicated, and even attaching the new fan to the sink (with the original fan untouched) will provide enough cooling? In which case I'd go with something higher than the 40x40x10 (like the Noctua 40x40x20), so it provides more efficiency. The only question would than be whether my Decklink with a 2cm-high fan added to the heatsink will still fit in-between my 2 Titan Xp cards (this I can check of course prior to ordering a fan).

Or - do you advise to do it in an elegant way, and remove the factory fan first, then replace it properly with the 30x30 Andrew linked to which would seat deeper inside the heatsink....

Cheers
Piotr
AMD TR 2990WX CPU | MSI X399 CARBON AC | 64GB RAM@XMP3200 | 2x RTX 2080Ti GPU | 4x 3TB WD Black RAID0 media drive | 3x 1TB NVMe RAID0 cache drive | SSD SATA system drive | AX1600i PSU | Decklink 12G Extreme | Samsung UHD reference monitor (calibrated)

Glenn Venghaus

PostThu Apr 11, 2019 4:42 pm

In either case remove the original fan as it will be i the way. Its typical super easy to remove these micro fans.
Just try it . The mini noctua wins on all fronts on cooling efficiency and sound production, that why on most photos online you see a noctua beeing used.
But space may be a limiting factor. For me it was (zero space) but still removed the stock fan and blow from the side on my cards . Less efficient so used bigger badder fans as i would have needed in the examples given.
A stock cooler would be useless if the card has no space on top. When cards are close its even more important to prevent hot air to stay pooled/trapped between the cards so you may need a different directional blow. All depends on space and existing overall case airflow.

In servers you have a very different and powerfull airflow between the cards and out the back , but in PC cases this is typicaly not the case. So you need to be creative.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Marc Wielage

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 12:48 am

Piotr Wozniacki wrote:Yes, I will consider this if BMD refuses free repair/replacement of my 12G Extreme. But it's already a second hardware failure of my Decklink card (the first time it was replaced without problems), in just 2.5 years of my working with Resolve. Not very encouraging...

I think you have a very valid complaint, and you'll definitely have to get an RMA from Blackmagic and get them to repair or replace the unit.

Mark - could you please suggest a Resolve project settings for 50p input (my media) and output (my product), monitored at 25p? My Decklink is now out of the PC, so I cannot test myself. Thanks!

Both the timeline settings and monitoring settings are separate, so it is possible to have 50P for one and 25P for the other. I just checked the Project Settings and it's theoretically possible to work in 24P and monitor in 25P. Now it's possible there would be visual artifacts with this kind of setup, but with a 50P timeline and 25P monitoring, that's pretty simple math and I think it'll work pretty well. I don't have any 50P material or I could try it, but I think this is pretty straightforward.

Glenn Venghaus wrote:Not saying its the case with you but bad cooling = early component failure. So may be a factor if multiple failures. Same with any GPU, which all tend to get hot/throttle/go dead early when not properly cooled so also with BM gpu cards. And you already have 2 titans generating heat there so check it.

Yeah, the UltraStudios do run hot. In a perfect world, we'd have them in a separate air-conditioned room and keep it down to 50°F or something, but we don't have that luxury.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Craig Marshall

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 12:54 am

"Both the timeline settings and monitoring settings are separate, so it is possible to have 50P for one and 25P for the other. I just checked the Project Settings and it's theoretically possible to work in 24P and monitor in 25P. Now it's possible there would be visual artifacts with this kind of setup, but with a 50P timeline and 25P monitoring, that's pretty simple math and I think it'll work pretty well. I don't have any 50P material or I could try it, but I think this is pretty straightforward."

Correct. Although our HD Grading monitor operates all all common video frame rates, our 4K client TV will not pass HD at 25P via HDMI (it is after all, a 4K TV) so when we work in an HD/25P timeline and we need to run SDI to the 4K TV for client approval, we have three options:

1) monitor at 25i (looks as you would expect)
2) monitor at 24P (noticeable framerate artifacts and audio issues)
3) set the timeline to 25P 4K with monitoring at 4K 25P.

Option 3) gives the best possible picture quality as DaVinci/Decklink does the HD>4K scaling not the TV.
4K Post Studio, Freelance Filmmaker, Media Writer
Win10/Lightworks/Resolve 15.1/X-Keys 68 Jog-Shuttle/OxygenTec ProPanel
12G SDI Decklink 4K Pro/Calibrated 10bit IPS SDI Monitor
HDvideo4K.com

Piotr Wozniacki

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 6:34 am

Glenn Venghaus wrote:In either case remove the original fan as it will be i the way. Its typical super easy to remove these micro fans.
Just try it . The mini noctua wins on all fronts on cooling efficiency and sound production, that why on most photos online you see a noctua beeing used.
But space may be a limiting factor. For me it was (zero space) but still removed the stock fan and blow from the side on my cards . Less efficient so used bigger badder fans as i would have needed in the examples given.
A stock cooler would be useless if the card has no space on top. When cards are close its even more important to prevent hot air to stay pooled/trapped between the cards so you may need a different directional blow. All depends on space and existing overall case airflow.

In servers you have a very different and powerfull airflow between the cards and out the back , but in PC cases this is typicaly not the case. So you need to be creative.

Thanks Glenn.
I have noticed Noctua is considered the best brand for fans like this (in fact, I do have Noctua products in my system - the NH-U14S TR4-SP3 (with double 140mm fans) for my 2990WX Threadipper which I'm quite satisfied with; the fans are very efficient and not too loud). However I've found another brand locally - the Titan 40x40x10 or 30x30x10 fans (in Polish only, but the specs can be deciphered - perhaps with a little help of Google translator: https://www.net-s.pl/produkt/titan-went ... 12v-363128 ). What do you think, Glenn? Looking at the pictures, do you think the most elegant (and efficiently cooling) solution of removing both my Decklink factory fan from the heatsink, as well as this Titan fan from its frame, and then installing the Titan fan only to replace the factory crappy fan, would be possible?

Sorry for my naive question, but even though all PCs in my live we build by myself - my DYI skills have never been tested at this level of precision :)

Piotr

PS. Of course, my last question (about replacing the factory fan with a new fan only, i.e. without its own frame) would also be valid in case of the Noctua 40x40x10 model...
AMD TR 2990WX CPU | MSI X399 CARBON AC | 64GB RAM@XMP3200 | 2x RTX 2080Ti GPU | 4x 3TB WD Black RAID0 media drive | 3x 1TB NVMe RAID0 cache drive | SSD SATA system drive | AX1600i PSU | Decklink 12G Extreme | Samsung UHD reference monitor (calibrated)

Glenn Venghaus

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 7:32 am

I would never take the frame of the fans as is an important part of why they work so good.
Its all part of airflow control.
Keep it simple and just mount as is on top. And if it does not fit , go for the flattest model that fits, even if its not the best.
If nothing fits on top in its original casing due to slot spacing jerry rig some bigger fan to blow from the side somewhere in your case. As long as you get some healthy amount of air blowing to prevent hot air staying around the card you should be fine. I got 30C down on an 10g card by just side blowing air over it.
I also replaced the crappy cooling paste under the heatsick with high quality stuff.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Al Spaeth

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 8:18 am

DIY fixes to BMD cards are great but back to the thread topic.
Many of us don't want, or need, a BMD card -
We do WANT, and NEED, a NLE with full screen preview on a second display UI.
It's a standard Windows feature and most GPUs support it including 4K/UHD and 10 bit HDR with 2,4 or even 6 displays.
"NVIDIA Support for HDR. All NVIDIA GPUs from the 900 and 1000 series support HDR display output. The presence of HDMI 2.0 provides the bandwidth necessary for the higher quality signal desirable for HDR."
It's not rocket science.

Resolve 15.3 free Win 10 64bit

Reynaud Venter

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 8:34 am

Al Spaeth wrote:Many of us don't want, or need, a BMD card -
Solution to this is so simple.

If you decide on using Resolve and the benefits of free software, you're buying in to the Blackmagic ecosystem, and adhering to the requirements set by the provider of the software.

If you don't want to buy in to that ecosystem, use one of the multitude of alternative software only solutions available by a variety of manufacturers.

Effectively, this is a bunch of freeloaders complaining. Your use of gratis software is being funded by other users purchasing Blackmagic hardware and software. How many users of the free version would continue to use Resolve if it now required a yearly payment of $299?

peterjackson

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 8:44 am

Reynaud Venter wrote:

If you decide on using Resolve and the benefits of free software, you're buying in to the Blackmagic ecosystem, and adhering to the requirements set by the provider of the software.

If you don't want to buy in to that ecosystem, use one of the multitude of alternative software only solutions available by a variety of manufacturers.

Effectively, this is a bunch of freeloaders complaining. Your use of gratis software is being funded by other users purchasing Blackmagic hardware and software. How many users of the free version would continue to use Resolve if it now required a yearly payment of $299?
Plain non-sense. There is no IO solution for laptop users with eGPU and many are willing to pay serious money for that feature on top of their Resolve license and other BM hardware.
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

Reynaud Venter

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 8:50 am

peterjackson wrote:There is no IO solution for laptop users
DeckLink 8K Pro and all other BlackMagic PCI-e cards run without hassle in external enclosures -
this is how all the MacBook Pro systems are used here - cheapest card used here is the Intensity Pro 4K.
No hassles.

peterjackson

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 8:59 am

TB3 is taken by eGPU and this is already suffering from the limited bandwidth. Daisy chaining the mini monitor does not work, I bought it an tried. Laptops with two TB3 controllers are a rare thing. Noone wants anything for free. We want acceptable solutions, preferably software based, that work -- and more than happy to pay money for it.
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

Al Spaeth

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 9:22 am

Reynaud Venter wrote:

That may have been true when Resolve was a $100K studio colour solution but BMD decided to compete in the decades old NLE market. It's a simple, common and needed feature. Free or paid.
"use one of the multitude of alternative software only solutions available by a variety of manufacturers."
Great marketing strategy - thanks.
Resolve 15.3 free Win 10 64bit

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 9:23 am

Glenn Venghaus wrote:I would never take the frame of the fans as is an important part of why they work so good.
Keep it simple and just mount as is on top. And if it does not fit , go for the flattest model that fits, even if its not the best.
If nothing fits on top in its original casing due to slot spacing jerry rig some bigger fan to blow from the side somewhere in your case. As long as you get some healthy amount of air blowing to prevent hot air staying around the card you should be fine. I got 30C down on an 10g card by just side blowing air over it.
I also replaced the crappy cooling paste under the heatsick with high quality stuff.

Yep. Moment you start blowing air to heatsink your temperature goes down massively. I had some passive card, added small fan and had dramatic change. You can't go wrong with adding fan or changing it with more efficient even if it looks crap :D

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 9:36 am

Reynaud Venter wrote:
peterjackson wrote:There is no IO solution for laptop users
DeckLink 8K Pro and all other BlackMagic PCI-e cards run without hassle in external enclosures -
this is how all the MacBook Pro systems are used here - cheapest card used here is the Intensity Pro 4K.
No hassles.

8K Pro can't be used in external TB3 box for all formats. It needs PCIe gen3 x8. Only HD and some 4K formats will work over TB3.

You can see people would even pay money for 2nd fullscreen monitoring and BM could make more on it than on their cards which are sold for Resolve itself. BM's choice.

Reynaud Venter

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 9:42 am

Al Spaeth wrote:Great marketing strategy - thanks.
Just practical.

The internet is filled with wonderful stories about how large the home studio market is, yet at best estimates only 1 in 4 users has a legitimate paid for license for the software they run. Software developers have long realised that those users are permanently lost, as a majority have no intention of ever contributing financially.

Software is a lousy business to be in and hardware manufacturers now simply provide free software with hardware purchases. BlackMagic have figured this stuff out a lot earlier than most, without requiring a subscription model like most software only manufacturers resort to in order to remain afloat.

Reynaud Venter

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 9:49 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:8K Pro can't be used in external TB3 box for all formats. It needs PCIe gen3 x8
Sonnet, Netstor and Akitio provide compatible enclosures.
Several colleagues are running the 8K Pro without hassle in external enclosures.

For someone so disdainful of BlackMagic and Resolve, I always surprised to see a new post from you here.

Piotr Wozniacki

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 9:55 am

Glenn Venghaus wrote:I would never take the frame of the fans as is an important part of why they work so good.

Yeah - having read Noctua bragging about how important the "synergy" between the fan blades and its frame is in air flow promotion, you're probably right. On the other hand, as an engineer I don't quite believe this is so important in case of such small fans like the 40x40x10 one (for larger fans like 120/140 or especially 200+ mm, I would never even think of removing the frame).

BMD created a case based on my failing Decklink complaint; a Technical Consultant from emea-support even dropped me a confirming e-mail 3 days ago - but after I provided him with more details and some iPhone pictures clearly showing the Decklink artefacts on my reference monitor - he never came back to me again. Do you Glenn or Andrew (or anyone else reading this, for that matter) happen to know how long the Warranty period is for BMD hardware like this in the EU? I have no idea what to do :)

Piotr

Reynaud Venter

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 9:59 am

Piotr Wozniacki wrote:know how long the Warranty period is for BMD hardware like this in the EU? I have no idea what to do :)
On the Tech specs page for the DeckLink cards, it states "3 Year Limited Manufacturer's Warranty", which is identical for the UltraStudio line.

EU only provides 24 month warranty.

Piotr Wozniacki

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 10:04 am

Reynaud Venter wrote:
Piotr Wozniacki wrote:know how long the Warranty period is for BMD hardware like this in the EU? I have no idea what to do :)
On the Tech specs page for the DeckLink cards, it states "3 Year Limited Manufacturer's Warranty", which is identical for the UltraStudio line.

Thanks - this is what I was suspecting (that it's only 2 years in the EU). But then again, I had my original Decklink replaced (for a similar screen artefacting) less that 24 months ago - so the question arises whether the new unit came with its own, full 24 months warranty or if it is ticking since my original purchase?

Piotr

peterjackson

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 10:06 am

Reynaud Venter wrote:
Andrew Kolakowski wrote:8K Pro can't be used in external TB3 box for all formats. It needs PCIe gen3 x8
Several colleagues are running the 8K Pro without hassle in external enclosures.

For someone so disdainful of BlackMagic and Resolve, I always surprised to see a new post from you here.
You figured there is a maximum of 4 PCIe lanes through TB3, did you? Changing an enclosure can't do anything about that. Needless to say that does not free you from the need of having an additional TB3 controller. Laptops simply don't.
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 10:17 am

Piotr Wozniacki wrote:
Reynaud Venter wrote:

Thanks - this is what I was suspecting (that it's only 2 years in the EU). But then again, I had my original Decklink replaced (for a similar screen artefacting) less that 24 months ago - so the question arises whether the new unit came with its own, full 24 months warranty or if it is ticking since my original purchase?

Piotr

If its the same issue then you can definitely use warranty. Even if it's a different one you can try.
Why is it 2 years in EU? Fact that EU mandates 2 years on electronic doesn't mean company which in other countries offers 3 years needs to limit it to 2 years. There is also now common practice that if your warranty just passed (eg. by week, month) it still should be honoured.
BM page says 3 years manufacture warranty, so this should be world wide.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 10:29 am

Reynaud Venter wrote:

I used BM hardware products and still use Resolve. I'm just not an equivalent of "Apple fanboys". Some of BM users became one, but that's their choice.

If I were pedantic then 8K Pro is officially incompatible according to Akitio (and not mentioned by 2 other mentioned)
https://www.akitio.com/information-cent ... lity-chart

place check fast before you make bold statements. They also list TB3 practical bandwidth as just 2.75GB/sec, so this means that up to UHD 60p RGB should work fine and maybe 8K YUV 422 24/25p.

Reynaud Venter

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 10:50 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:place check fast before you make bold statements. They also list TB3 practical bandwidth as just 2.75GB/sec
According to the manufacturer themselves, they list lower rates to guarantee bandwidth estimates on older PC hardware. They have had much improved performance with the 2018 MacBook Pro according to their support personnel, also confirmed by Sonnet support.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 10:55 am

Well- if you try to be a respected company this is exactly what you do. This is for example what AJA does. You list what really works, not what may work.
Remember BM at the beginning? They are bette now, but in past we had tons of features only on paper. If you like this "model" then this is your choice.

Reynaud Venter

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 11:02 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:They are bette now, but in past we had tons of features only on paper. If you like this "model" then this is your choice.
The model where a company improves on their interaction with their customers?
Absolutely, I support that completely.

You should see how poor many of the other manufacturers are in their dealings with customers, making fanciful promises and then not delivering, and still requiring an active subscription without further updates.

No company is perfect, as long as humans are involved - we are all flawed.

Piotr Wozniacki

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 11:05 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:If its the same issue then you can definitely use warranty. Even if it's a different one you can try.
Why is it 2 years in EU? Fact that EU mandates 2 years on electronic doesn't mean company which in other countries offers 3 years needs to limit it to 2 years. There is also now common practice that if your warranty just passed (eg. by week, month) it still should be honoured.

Yeah, I'm trying - a funny obstacle is on my way, though: for some reason, my emails with detailed issue description and images can't come through to listair Davidson, Technical Support Consultant EMEA (at least this is what he wrote in his second email to me a while ago :()... So I tried using my alternate server; I also dropped any attachments - from the lack of his further response, still to no avail!

Andrew - are you now in the UK? What do you think I could do to somehow push some details to Alistair (he's in the UK)?

Piotr

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 11:06 am

Reynaud Venter wrote:
You should see how poor many of the other manufacturers are in their dealings with customers, making fanciful promises and then not delivering, and still requiring an active subscription without further updates.

I'm very aware of this.
As a small company we pay 7K$ a year for single software support, but when new version came out been asked to pay additionally for any new interesting feature :D Many bugs were not fixed and been told they never will. Amazing way of wasting 7K$.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 11:15 am

Piotr Wozniacki wrote:
Andrew Kolakowski wrote:If its the same issue then you can definitely use warranty. Even if it's a different one you can try.

Yeah, I'm trying - a funny obstacle is on my way, though: for some reason, my emails with detailed issue description and images can't come through to listair Davidson, Technical Support Consultant EMEA (at least this is what he wrote in his second email to me a while ago :()... So I tried using my alternate server; I also dropped any attachments - from the lack of his further response, still to no avail!

Andrew - are you now in the UK? What do you think I could do to somehow push some details to Alistair (he's in the UK)?

Piotr

Nope, back in PL.
Get some VPN connection to UK server.

Keith Holmes

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 1:46 pm

Just use Timeinpixels Nobe Display which gives you a full screen duplicate if Resolves Preview screen. Works a dream and so cost effective it’s astonishing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uli Plank

PostSat Apr 13, 2019 12:21 am

But depending on your hardware it can be out of sync for sound quite a bit.
Nevertheless seconded as a cheap solution.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

carsonjones

PostSat Apr 13, 2019 10:43 pm

Keith Holmes wrote:Just use Timeinpixels Nobe Display which gives you a full screen duplicate if Resolves Preview screen. Works a dream and so cost effective it’s astonishing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was early to the game trying this and found it had some shortcomings when it came to frame rate options. Native support would still be a much better option.

AndreasOberg

PostSun Apr 14, 2019 3:10 am

Glenn Venghaus wrote:
AndreasOberg wrote:I have 1 situation where a card is quite impractical. I just ran out of PCI places in my full tower PC Desktop. So should I throw out one of my titan cards, or maybe the raid card, or the thunderbolt cards etc? Ideally I would actually like to keep them. And I do not mind paying extra for the feature if it needs a licence.

Andreas

You have a thunderbolt minimonitor version. Used that for 3 years on a hack/mac that had o slots left.
Costs less then a night out in the pub.

Yes, but I have Supermicro motherboard. It has thunderbolt 1 support, but it is a bit flaky. But it is not great to have to use up another slot. I may want to have 3 GPUs for example, but that would not be possible (a bit less important now when 2080 Tis are so fast)
Andreas
VFX Director - Visual Forest Ltd

Glenn Venghaus

PostSun Apr 14, 2019 6:52 am

So either you have now a thunderbolt card (you even mentioned cards but maybe typo) that is working and use the mini mon TB(1) on it or throw it out as its flaky as you said and put in a decklink.
And i also have a supermicro (dual cpu board) and it like any motherboard typicaly also has at least one pcie 1x slot , enough for the decklink mini mon so you can keep all your 16x for gpu’s
Your point is falling apart. At least i am not getting it.

Marc Wielage

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 3:16 am

AndreasOberg wrote:Yes, but I have Supermicro motherboard. It has thunderbolt 1 support, but it is a bit flaky. But it is not great to have to use up another slot. I may want to have 3 GPUs for example, but that would not be possible (a bit less important now when 2080 Tis are so fast)

I know quite a few facilities using Supermicro computers (particularly in a Linux setup) who are using Cubix PCI expansion chassis:

http://magma.com/products/classic-pci-expansion/

This allows them to have 8 GPUs plus room to spare for a monitor card. It's a question of what your budget is and how much power you really need. (This is all covered in great detail in the BMD Resolve Configuration Guide, where they tell you which specific slots are recommended for monitoring vs. GPU cards.)

Piotr Wozniacki

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 2:16 pm

Glenn Venghaus wrote:You could McGuyver a small noctua on it , which is tipicaly done with Raid cards like in below (not mine) example , or 10G ether or any other card with these ******* and loud little crappy fans like your BM card

Hi Glenn, Andrzej at all,

Unfortunately, I'm not a Mcguyver type (age, sight, neck spine) - so please advise how do I remove the bad fan from my Decklink? And should I go with a 40x40x20 mm Noctua or will 10mm thick be enough? I wouldn't like it to touch the GPU card...

Thx,

Piotr

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 3:09 pm

If you have a 15 years old son ask him to do it for you :D
Just remove it. Start with light tools eg. screwdriver and if it doesn't work end with hammer :D

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 3:45 pm

I forgot my popcorn...
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Piotr Wozniacki

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 6:58 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:If you have a 15 years old son ask him to do it for you :D
Just remove it. Start with light tools eg. screwdriver and if it doesn't work end with hammer :D

You see, Andrzej - the older I become the more I realize I have probably been too serious in life about to many "ambitious" things :) Advantage being I became an expert in a few deeply specialized areas, but at the cost of being sometimes lost like a child in many more, practical ones.

So I preferred asking this question rather than grab a hammer; those who posted pictures of PCIe cards with fans replaced probably know whether some trick may be used, rendering any brutal force method irrelevant. Believe me - it so happens that in my 65 years of life, I never had opportunity (or need, for that matter) to disassembly a fan without risking a damage to expensive card. Asking didn't hurt; and I've never been afraid of asking even the most naive questions.

Anyway, from your answer I understand those fans are simply pushed in, right?

Piotr

Glenn Venghaus

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 8:03 pm

Piotr , i think you are too hard on yourself. If you have build this computer you will have no problem carefully removing a small fan from a card. Just go for it. Dont make it a drama ;-) . Unless you do use a hammer , its hard to mess that part up. Typicaly they are connected via a micro screw or with some dual sided stickyness or glue. Use a plastic tool to slowly peel it of if glued.
To connect a small square fan on top you can use all kinds of methods, from a simple rubber band (can work amazing and super simple) to something like 2 small screws that fit nicely in the fan holes (2 is enough) and are protruding a little bit from the bottom of the fancase on the bottom. Then put the fan on top of the heatsink and turn it such that both screws somehow end up between 2 of the cooling ribs. If you then slowly screw them in they sort of work themselves in between the ribs and the things sticks. That does void waranty though so you could stick with some rubber band sollution or some other wraps.
Does not have to be super tight or anything, as long as it stays in place.
Look at the images i included before for ideas/details/options.

If things fit only you can tell by measuring and trying.

p.s. I highy recommend as well giving it to your nephew or son to do it. Outsourcing works ;-)

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 8:14 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:I forgot my popcorn...

Geta a big one as it's going to be a real, long drama :D

Glenn Venghaus

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 8:17 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:

Geta a big one as it's going to be a real, long drama :D

I am on my 5th family pack.... :mrgreen:

Some threads just wont die when they should. This is one of those. Amazing......
But its a good thing for boring days. And to see how far it can go before it implodes in flames.

Ben Sciascia

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 9:54 pm

+1 for multiple displays

Yes we're knowingly migrating to software that doesn't offer this, and yes it's not a replacement for colour managed hardware.

But if you already use two monitors, you instantly get a much better media/editing/fusion experience so it's worth requesting. Resolve has been chasing other markets and it's working sorry.

Glenn Venghaus

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 10:07 pm

Glenn Venghaus

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 10:09 pm

RCModelReviews

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 12:10 am

I only come here for the witty, satirical comments and animated GIFs :-)
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

wireless112

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 12:41 am

Yes it is time for this thread to die, The sub conversation being had should move to PM's.

This forum is in desperate need of active moderation, it's becoming increasingly difficult to find answers. I know the questions have been asked before, and answered before, but can never find the answer due to threads like this.

People reading these threads have to realize there are users ranging from wannabe all the way to Hollywood experts. I appreciate that. I also appreciate most of the experts have been really patient with the newbies...until they become stubborn and arrogant.

The upper class of professionals also have far different environments, from the wannabe's. You can't blame the wannabes Apple made them think it's acceptable to deliver professional content from a mobile device.

Anyhow, both arguments are valid. I wasted one of my high throughput PCIe slots on a decklink card, when all I need is a window to view fullscreen. I gladly would have chosen to pay some more money...even the cost of a Decklink card to get the additional feature. More often than not I could use that 4th monitor connected to my windows environment. Of course I'll probably now just put a DP to Hdmi cable off of one of my other monitors and just toggle as my decklink monitor has 3 inputs, I never thought of that before. Thanks to who ever suggested that, brilliant.....but I'd still rather have a 10Gbe card in that slot :)

Due to the market trends of thinner, lighter, and wimpier; the chances of ever seeing more than one TB3/USB3.1 on a consumer laptop are pretty slim. 3.1/TB3 per spec will not have hubs with more than one C port. The C port on said hub will not be full spec.
Jeremy Johnson

System Build -
Gigabyte Designare EX
Threadripper 1950X
64 GB of DDR4 3600
1 - 3080 ti - Studio 551.61
1- Intensity Pro 4K - Driver 12.8.1
1 - Win 10 Pro for WS - Version 22H2 - Build 19045.2846
Resolve Studio 18.6.5 Build 7

RCModelReviews

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 12:57 am

wireless112 wrote:People reading these threads have to realize there are users ranging from wannabe all the way to Hollywood experts. I appreciate that. I also appreciate most of the experts have been really patient with the newbies...until they become stubborn and arrogant.

The upper class of professionals also have far different environments, from the wannabe's. You can't blame the wannabes Apple made them think it's acceptable to deliver professional content from a mobile device.

Condescending much?

"upper class" "wannabes"

Seriously, if you can't understand that DR is no longer a product solely for the "upper class" elite "Hollywood experts" then you need to take a reality check. Your attitude is very disappointing. Did you start out as an "upper class" elite "Hollywood expert"? I think not. Everyone who makes it to the top starts as a wannabe.

Oh, and I suspect that many of those wannabes have a better understanding of when to use an apostrophe than yourself (just keeping things real).

End of rant.
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

Marc Wielage

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 7:07 am

wireless112 wrote:Due to the market trends of thinner, lighter, and wimpier; the chances of ever seeing more than one TB3/USB3.1 on a consumer laptop are pretty slim. 3.1/TB3 per spec will not have hubs with more than one C port. The C port on said hub will not be full spec.

I gotta say, I have four Thunderbolt 3 ports on my 2018 MacBookPro, and they seem to work OK.

The truth is, though, I'm not a fan of running Resolve on a laptop unless you've got a really powerful laptop and are running fairly light-duty files and just editing. There was a terrific article a few weeks ago on one of the post websites where they revealed that about 75% of all major films were cut using Avid DNxHD 145 files, which are actually pretty small, lightweight HD files that run on just about anything recent. And you could absolutely cut a movie using those on a decent laptop running Resolve or Premiere or Avid.

I'd be reluctant to try to color-correct that way or run Fusion. You'd hit the wall pretty fast (at least in my experience). But I can and do use my laptop for certain things in Resolve, including scene-detection when my other system is tied up with other projects. Running a dual-monitor is not something I look for in a portable system... but it could be done if I really wanted to drop a Mini-Monitor in. So the flexibility is there.
Last edited by Marc Wielage on Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve