BMPCC 4k issues

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

michaeldhead

Re: BMPCC 4k issues

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 4:28 pm

I have two Sandisk 500gb Extreme Pro SSDs - no problems with them at all so far.
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com
producer/writer/director/DP

Australian Image

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 7:31 pm

lee4ever wrote:Did BMD write the information anywhere?
I mean, the customer only reads that recording on SSD is possible, nothing more. And if he connects an external Samsung SSD (Samsung SSD which is rated as one of the best and works with his PC, notebook or tablet) to Pocket 4K then what should the customer think first if it doesn't work?

What's the name of this camera store that you keep quoting?
https://australianimage.com.au/

patrick.frey

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 12:04 pm

Hello everyone, this is my first post in this forum. Im Patrick from germany ;)

I did some testings about the issue with the Samsung T5 (500GB) and the BMP4K:
vimeo.com/314225565

Right now, im pretty sure its an firmware issue on the Pocket4K.

Australian Image

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 7:44 pm

Is that the 500GB SSD?
https://australianimage.com.au/

patrick.frey

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 7:53 pm

yes, its the 500GB version

millzero

PostFri Feb 01, 2019 1:23 pm

Hello everyone..

I been using the BMPCC4 4k for since 2 months now. I have used batteries and external dummy batteries connected to a V-mount batteries and 2 days back i realized that my camera now can only work with the DC power jack (Its Weipu SF610/S2). Did anyone face this issue. How can i fix it?

Thanks

Nishan

patrick.frey

PostMon Feb 04, 2019 9:26 am

Let me guess, the dummy battery stuck a little, while you trying to get it out.
I had the same thing, after i put out the dummy. After that, the other batterys are stuck also in the body. I needed to use a screwdriver to get them out. But only for 3 or 4 times, since that all is fine. I guess its the pins inside the cameras battery slot. Try to look inside with a flashlight, maybe there is a bent contact.

Chris_T-Bay

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 10:54 am

Yesterday I had the case, that my BMPCC4K couldn't playback the files on the SD card (sandisk extreme pro) when I put it back in after copying the files on my computer. It said there are 27 clips available, but when I pushed the Play-button nothing happened. When I recorded a new clip, there was no problem to playback this one. And on the PC all .mov-files are readable. Are there some issues with the SD card recording or could it be a problem with my sd card? How can I check them best?

Robert Niessner

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 12:58 pm

Chris_T-Bay wrote:Yesterday I had the case, that my BMPCC4K couldn't playback the files on the SD card (sandisk extreme pro) when I put it back in after copying the files on my computer. It said there are 27 clips available, but when I pushed the Play-button nothing happened. When I recorded a new clip, there was no problem to playback this one. And on the PC all .mov-files are readable. Are there some issues with the SD card recording or could it be a problem with my sd card? How can I check them best?

It is just a restriction of the camera.
If you recorded your clips to CinemaDNG and then switched the camera to ProRes you can only playback the clips recorder in ProRes. If you recorded ProRes clips at 50fps and 25 fps you can only playback 50fps clips if your camera is set to 50 fps and vice versa. AFAIK this is to maintain sync (for the fps) and the camera half-reboots to get its chips reconfigured for either recording ProRes or CinemaDNG. So it is either playing back CinemaDNG or ProRes but not both at the same time.

Der Einfachheit halber nochmal auf Deutsch:

Das ist eine Beschränkung der Kamerasoftware. Du kannst nur in dem jeweiligen Format, in dem Du aufgenommen hast die entsprechenden Aufnahmen wiedergeben. Wenn Deine Kamera zB als Aufnahmeformat CinemaDNG eingestellt hat, dann kann sie nur Aufnahmen im CinemaDNG Format wiedergeben. Alle Aufnahmen die in ProRes gemacht wurden, werden dann nicht angezeigt. Und umgekehrt. Ebenfalls zu berücksichtigen sind unterschiedliche Bildraten. D.h. wenn Du in ProRes Aufnahmen mit 50fps und 25fps gemacht hast, Deine Kamera gerade auf 25fps steht, dann werden keine Aufnahmen mit 50fps abgespielt - und umgekehrt. Das dürfte deswegen sein, weil die Kamera zum korrekten Abspielen synchron mit der Bildrate sein muss.
Schaltest Du zwischen CinemaDNG und ProRes als Aufzeichnungsformat um, dann macht die Kamera einen kurzen Teilneustart - so werden die Chips für das jeweilige Format umprogrammiert.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 5:19 pm

I plugged in the dc power and could not remove it. I was not aware of the locking mechanism, and in a panic I yanked the cord hard a few times. I eventulally realized all i had to do was pull back the mechanism, but now the DC power isnt working. I may have broken the cable, but I fear that there might be something wrong with the port itself. Any thoughts?

rick.lang

BMPCC 4k issues

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 6:11 pm

Your vendor may be able to order another cable or power adapter so that would be the easiest way to find out, unless you know someone with the adapter/cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

AliouDIA

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 6:51 pm

After updating to the last update I did not experienced any issue with the T5.
One thing I have noticed its better to remove any sd card from the pocket while the ssd is plugged in.
I've done 3 days shoot for a video clip.
We have 2 bmpcc4k and each on had a T5 and not a single issue.
Mine is formatted XFAT. Hope it's helps.

Swissified

PostSat Apr 13, 2019 8:29 am

220108 wrote:I plugged in the dc power and could not remove it. I was not aware of the locking mechanism, and in a panic I yanked the cord hard a few times. I eventulally realized all i had to do was pull back the mechanism, but now the DC power isnt working. I may have broken the cable, but I fear that there might be something wrong with the port itself. Any thoughts?

Oops that is an unfortunate mistake to happen. It is clear in the manuals and everywhere else though! I do hope that you used 'too little strength' and that you only damaged the cable and not the camera! I shudder to think how long BMD will take to repair the camera, when they still 1 year later have not fulfilled the pre-orders from the Nab 2018 announcement of the Pocket 4K.
Previous

Return to Cinematography