Hyperdeck Studio Pro as Instant Replay Box

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Al Barcheski

Hyperdeck Studio Pro as Instant Replay Box

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 7:00 pm

looking to use Hyperdeck SP as an instant replay during a live event box.

the inputs...

i see that each input A,B,C,D has a corresponding output A,B,C,D. are those loop-through outputs, unaffected by what the recorder is doing? in other words... can i run cameras 1,2,3 & 4 through this box and then to the switcher, essentially being able to record "isolations" of one of the cameras at a time?

can you select the inputs from the front panel while the machine is in record (or do you have to stop recording to change inputs)?

is there a recommended remote controller for the 14-Pin connector on the back?

or or is there software which can control the machine from a PC?

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

Re: Hyperdeck Studio Pro as Instant Replay Box

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 9:56 pm

It cannot capture or playback 4 streams at the same time. It's a feature we'd like to do, but not something we can commit to at this time.

I can't personally recommend a controller as i've not used any third party controllers, but our media express software can be used to playback, fastforward, rewind, etc.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Al Barcheski

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 10:51 pm

sorry, i'm not making myself clear...

i'm not trying to record four streams at the same time...

i'm trying to record only one of the inputs at the time... just wondering about:

1). the ability to change the input by pushing the button on the front the fly, while the deck is in record.
2). are the ABCD Outputs "loop throughs", independent of the input selected on the front panel

thanks in advance for any help you can give
al b

James Hope

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 12:57 am

Hi,

You might want to look at getting some sort of routing, such as the Micro VideoHub to switch the input. That particular unit is a 16x16 router with a built-in physical control panel.

James.

EDIT: have a look at this thread, it might help answer part of your question: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=892
Windows 11 Pro, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB RAM, NVidia RTX 2070 8GB.

Al Barcheski

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 6:04 pm

a call to tech support answered my questions.

1). unsure
2). no, those aren't individual inputs per se, the ABCD applies to what flavor of SDI is being used. the input switch on the front bounces between the SDI, HDMI & Component inputs as three distinct inputs.
3). any RS-422 controller

as JH said... get the router to change the input on the fly.

thanks to all
al b

Thomas Seewald

PostMon Sep 17, 2012 11:54 am

For this, it would be great, when Hyperdeck Studio would be able to continue recording while playback another part (in another speed) of the recorded file. Then you wold have really a cheap instant replay box... (This feature request is allways dicussesed in other threads....)
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Steve Parmenter

PostMon Sep 17, 2012 12:31 pm

Blackmagic Design could absolutely demolish the competition with a instant replay system of this nature. Especially if it was inter-operable with the ATEM switchers etc.

Thomas Seewald

PostMon Sep 17, 2012 12:43 pm

If they want this ....

It would be super - one channel slow-motion for the price of a HDS or HDS Pro. Little video producers (e.g. for high school sports) would kiss MD's feet ....

Tom_Bassford

PostMon Sep 17, 2012 1:52 pm

Can this really not do 4x SDI stream simultaneous records? What is the point of the 4 inputs if they cannot do 4x record? I presumed the 4K tag and 4x inputs would allow quad HD recordings, actually I'm pretty certain that this will have to allow for at least some kind of 4 stream recording.

Really I would be super happy to have 4 SDI records in a single device with matched timecodes. I do not care at all about 4k.
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Dave Glennie

PostMon Sep 17, 2012 2:10 pm

Hi Guys,

Tom- I totally agree- I was going to purchase one so I could record my main PGM and 3 of the Aux outs from the 2M/E- say a clean feed and 2 iso's..........

I stupidly took this:

"HyperDeck Studio Pro features 4 channels of 3 Gb/s SDI, HDMI and analog connections with standard XLR connectors for audio and timecode, and a built-in Thunderbolt port! "
to mean 4 separate channels of HD-SDi video........

Another dream shattered.....glad I didn't order one.......

Oh, we used an Ashvale SM2 to control 2 Hyperdecks for replays recently on RS422- worked great but we had to pass the Sdi through 2 PDWHD1500's to embedd (RP188) the timecode to make them frame accurate with timecode- another thing that's missing from the ATEM's- don't get me started again, I've already been 'told-off' for getting vocal on that one on another thread.....

Cheers
Dave ;)
Hi-sat Broadcast
DSNG HD uplink trucks x 2, PDW-700 XDCam HD x 2, PMW500, HDW-750 x 5,
Way too much BMD stuff to list!!

Thomas Seewald

PostMon Sep 17, 2012 2:31 pm

When the hyperdesk studio pro is able to record 4 simultanous streams for 4k support, the hardware should have the performance and technology to record 4 "normal" streams. When this works, it also should be possible, to realize a 2 channel instant replay box (Perhaps 4 Channel). Maybe the handling of 4 open files is the problem ?

It would be only a question of control. A special controller or sofware has to be used, because the control by the integrated keys seems to be too complicate.

In my opinion, the same applies to the "normal" hyperdeck studio (without "pro") for one channel....

Return to Live Production