Tilta Nucleus-N (Nano)

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Xtreemtec

Re: Tilta Nucleus-N (Nano)

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 9:21 am

B&H says released in limited quantities.. But i have seen a few in the wild.. So they are there.. Guess they have issues keeping up production for the demand.. As it is so well priced.. ;) #BMPCC4K allover.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... ntrol.html
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Basil Hayes

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 9:28 am

Received mine this week from Production Gear (UK), really nice little unit, very small and lightweight.

Great quality for the price point.

Basil Hayes

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 9:58 am

Mine was £240.00 UK pounds. However, the D Tap to Micro USB to power the motor was £40.00 delivered :roll:

AdamTaylor

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 11:24 am

Got mine too - only problem is I don't have the camera yet, and my reseller can't get any info regarding when it will arrive!

The camera might have impressive specs, but Blackmagics lack of useful availability info info is proving a real pain in the.....

rick.lang

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 1:52 pm

Anyone going with the Tilta cage for the BMPCC4K should include this as it integrates so well. Less expensive than my PD Movie, but I bought that before there was a Nano. And it doesn’t do the synchronous control of two lenses with one controller that is the key feature of the PD Movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

joe12south

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 2:23 pm

I got mine a few months ago. (Ordered directly from Tilta.) Joy to use, hope to never go back.
Dedicated curmudgeon. Part-time artiste.

Note Suwanchote

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 6:11 pm

joe12south wrote:I got mine a few months ago. (Ordered directly from Tilta.) Joy to use, hope to never go back.

Yep, ordered from Tilta and shipped directly. I believe it's faster though I've hard adorama or BH did have a stock a while back. Not sure now though!
lightformfilm.com
vimeo.com/Suwanchote

Ulysses Paiva

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 9:26 pm

Ordered mine directly from Tilta in February and they shipped this week, I should get it next monday. When I ordered, they said they were still fulfilling orders from december, so seems it takes a good 2 month wait period right now.
Ulysses Paiva

Boardpig

PostMon Oct 21, 2019 9:13 pm

Does anyone have any experience with the Nano using a Rapido Technology FVD?

Hooked this up last night and the motor isn't able to move the focus ring. Yes its a little "stiff" but nothing too bad. I had it hooked up to a 5V USB battery so I'm wondering if I give it some more juice from another supply then it might have more torque?

Any advice would be useful.

Cheers,
Alex.

Greg Huson

PostTue Oct 22, 2019 6:24 am

From Tilta web site:

"...P-tap to Micro USB cable for the Nucleus-Nano which allows you to power the motor from a P-tap power output port. The 14.8V output that P-tap ports provide give the motor a much higher torque than if powered through a 5V USB power cable."

They make a special p-tap to USBc cable that doesn't have the step-down converter in it. But don't try to charge your android with that cable!! On the URSA, you probably need a p-tap extension, too, because the cable made by tilta isn't long enough. Pretty annoying, but works.

If you buy a non-tilta P-tap (d-tap) to USB-c it will probably have a voltage converter so the usb is only 5v instead of 14+
GH
----------------------------------------------------
Greg Huson
Secret Headquarters, Inc
Post Production / Production
Santa Monica, CA
323 677 2092
www.SecretHQ.com
greg (at) SecretHQ.com

joe12south

PostTue Oct 22, 2019 2:12 pm

Boardpig wrote:Does anyone have any experience with the Nano using a Rapido Technology FVD?

Hooked this up last night and the motor isn't able to move the focus ring. Yes its a little "stiff" but nothing too bad. I had it hooked up to a 5V USB battery so I'm wondering if I give it some more juice from another supply then it might have more torque?

Any advice would be useful.

Cheers,
Alex.

Don't have experience with the exact lens, but I can say definitively that more power = more torque. I'm giving mine 12v from a V-mount battery and haven't found a lens that it couldn't handle.
Dedicated curmudgeon. Part-time artiste.

Boardpig

PostTue Oct 22, 2019 9:17 pm

Thanks for the responses. I did read this from the Tilta site but then thought if I add yet another "thing" ie the battery, to the rig, then the concept of handheld starts to disappear. With the cage, anamorphic, FVD, taking lens, monitor, the weight is already getting up there.
I sent it back and opted for a "hand driven" setup.

Cheers,

Alex.

Garth McElroy

PostWed Oct 23, 2019 10:09 am

Greg Huson wrote:From Tilta web site:

"...P-tap to Micro USB cable for the Nucleus-Nano which allows you to power the motor from a P-tap power output port. The 14.8V output that P-tap ports provide give the motor a much higher torque than if powered through a 5V USB power cable."

They make a special p-tap to USBc cable that doesn't have the step-down converter in it. But don't try to charge your android with that cable!! On the URSA, you probably need a p-tap extension, too, because the cable made by tilta isn't long enough. Pretty annoying, but works.

If you buy a non-tilta P-tap (d-tap) to USB-c it will probably have a voltage converter so the usb is only 5v instead of 14+

I bought a knock-off unregulated d-tap to micro off Ebay for $29. It has a longer cable than the Tilta cable and provides full voltage. Works great.

Greg Huson

PostWed Oct 23, 2019 8:27 pm

Ordered off ebay! Thanks for the tip - that wasn't available when I first got my Nano. The extra 7" should make all the difference.
GH
----------------------------------------------------
Greg Huson
Secret Headquarters, Inc
Post Production / Production
Santa Monica, CA
323 677 2092
www.SecretHQ.com
greg (at) SecretHQ.com

Return to Cinematography