Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fastest Comping Settings?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Bernhard Rieder

Fastest Comping Settings?

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 2:53 am

When comping with lot's of 32bit files, the preview render takes some significant time.
What are your preferred settings for fastest comping?
Prx and APrx, Some or All.....

What's your experience and/or recommendation?

Thanks a lot and happy comping!
cheers

Bernhard Rieder

Re: Fastest Comping Settings?

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 10:46 pm

hmmm.. no recommendations? :o :D

Bryan Ray

Re: Fastest Comping Settings?

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 2:34 am

You definitely don't want to be in All mode. That forces every node to render, even if it's not contributing to anything.

There's no pat answer. That's why all those controls exist and are configurable—what may be fast enough in one situation isn't in another. Personally, I prefer to always look at my pixels 1:1. Quality is far more important to me than speed in most cases.

If you want to speed up your work, though, in addition to the Proxy system, which affects only processing nodes, you can also use a proxy image in the Loader. This can be lower resolution, or a different, more efficient format, fewer channels, what-have-you. Exactly what your proxy image is depends on your needs. If you're reading from a network, it might speed you up simply to copy your sources to a local drive and use that copy in the Proxy field.

You can also take advantage of the caching system and/or do some pre-rendering of branches that are heavy but unlikely to change.

Turning off the Viewer widgets can speed things up, and sometimes deselecting certain tools can do so, as well. The Tracker is particularly notorious for slowing everything down when it's selected. Blazej Floch posted a nice guide to speeding things up a while back, too:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=71120&p=397124&hilit=blazej#p397124
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Return to Fusion