Getting started with our Education

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Brooks Hamilton

Getting started with our Education

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 6:29 pm

What are some of the resources that a beginner should be made aware of to be able to work with Blackmagic Design. We got an equipment update and it's all new blackmagic Design.

Thanks

vinhtruong

Re: Getting started with our Education

PostFri Dec 28, 2018 9:20 pm

I am also a newbie. Just bought a ATEM Pro HD. Spent many hours on Youtube but still not how to setup and make this thing to work.
Where are the user guides for beginner?

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 11:29 pm

vinhtruong wrote:I am also a newbie. Just bought a ATEM Pro HD. Spent many hours on Youtube but still not how to setup and make this thing to work.
Where are the user guides for beginner?

Did you read the provided manual? YT is hardly a manual...
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

nourimane

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 12:03 pm

Brooks Hamilton wrote:What are some of the resources that a beginner should be made aware of to be able to work with Blackmagic Design. We got an equipment update and it's all new blackmagic Design.

Thanks

Same problem here, the manual is more than 2000 pages (Blackmagic Resolve).
Last edited by nourimane on Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brad Hurley

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 7:55 pm

If you're trying to learn Resolve, I agree that reading through the manual is not the most efficient; it'll probably take you a few years to read it and understand/try everything. But the manual is an excellent reference and explains most things very well.

You could start with the free video tutorials that Blackmagic Design recently posted to its youtube channel -- e.g., one on basic editing, one on color grading, two videos on Fairlight, two on Fusion, one on media management, and one on the mini panel. I'd start with the one on media management and then move on to the one on editing. The most important thing to keep in mind is that you won't learn much by simply watching tutorials -- you need to follow along, either with your own footage or any sample footage provided with the tutorials. You learn best by doing, and then practicing.

If you don't mind spending a little money on your education, Ripple Training has some good tutorials on Resolve, including a couple of courses that are Blackmagic Design-certified. Also check out Mixing Light for additional tutorials.

There are probably tutorials online for specific BMD cameras and other equipment as well.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 10:23 pm

Also, there is a sticky post with resources x link and suggestions on where to find info in the top session of this forum (resolve sub branch).

Have a look there.

If you're looking for "shortcut" you're not in the right line of business.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Greg_E

PostMon Jan 28, 2019 2:03 am

The official Resolve training courses now have FREE PDF books available on the Davinci Resolve training page (sorry, not enough posts to provide a link, and I need admin approval so someone will probably post this after me and show up before me).

WilliamRamos

No Fusion VFX and Graphics "Project File"

PostSun Mar 31, 2019 7:00 am

These are great starter videos to get you up and running. However, does anyone know what happened the the "Download Project File" link for the Fusion VFX and Graphics tutorial to follow along with? I watch the video, I write down what is done but nothing can replace ACTUALLY doing the thing they teach, to figure out new things and fix it if you did something wrong. I would be nice?

Thanks,

Will

Swissified

PostSun Apr 14, 2019 6:03 am

Swissified

PostSun Apr 14, 2019 6:04 am

WilliamRamos

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 3:36 am

Oh WOW! Thank you so much Swissified! That is even MORE to learn as I'm on disability and this is the best time to learn! Awesome. :D

Swissified

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 3:57 pm

WilliamRamos wrote:Oh WOW! Thank you so much Swissified! That is even MORE to learn as I'm on disability and this is the best time to learn! Awesome. :D

Don't mention it, I am finding it very useful, especially as in 2 days time I can pick up my Pocket 4K for real at last!

erichK

PostMon May 27, 2019 9:34 pm

I am considering pulling the trigger on the Ripple Training Resolve Bundle, which includes "Editing and Colong Grading in Resolve" by Spencer Meyer and "Advanced Colour Grading" by Mark Spencer, after trying to learn to really use Resolve 15 through tutorials from Udemy (cheap but awful) and Lynda.com (mostly outdated).

I am 70+ and new to video. I started about 2 years ago with Power Director pro, with which I've become fairly proficient at basic editing. But its crude colour and sound editing and childish effects don't meet my needs - recording presentations and especially solo and chamber classical music concerts. So I've done some grading with Resolve and then exported to PD for timeline editing and -most important- synching.

I'm hoping that these rather expensive courses will help me to learn to do everything within Resolve, but am apprehensive that there is no mention of Fairlight, especially after poor experiences trying to synch (usually two or three camera and a stereo WAV digital recorder track) with Resolve.

Point of this Post: I would really appreciate comments on how the Ripple courses measure up, because I've been disappointed with most Online courses. Also, nothing is said about sound and synching, which is central to my work.

Return to Getting Started