BMD will not service cameras with the Rawlite OLPF

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

BradleyScott

BMD will not service cameras with the Rawlite OLPF

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 9:21 pm

I sent my camera into BMD for sensor calibration (I have severe cross pattern noise in my UM 4.6k) and they wouldn't touch it because of the Rawlite OLPF. It's very disappointing. We are (were) looking to purchase a couple new G2 cameras and install the OLPF on those as well, but with this kind of service response that's not possible. Anyone looking to install that OLPF be aware that it will void your warranty.

-Bradley Scott

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

Re: BMD will not service cameras with the Rawlite OLPF

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 5:35 pm

The installation of third party OLPFs prohibits us from performing the work required on our end. Adding to the issue of the debris located inside and outside of the sensor chamber, this is not something we can address, even for cameras that would be in warranty with third party products installed in this nature.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

BradleyScott

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 5:37 pm

I'm not sure where this issue of 'debris' is coming from. The OLPF was professionally installed and the camera is well maintained. If BMD doesn't want to replace the OLPF with the original filter to perform the calibration, that is fair, but no need for excuses. I think it's a good idea to inform everyone of this, so that's what I'm doing here.

Denny Smith

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 5:56 pm

This is not new, nor is just BMD. Anytime you modify any camera, you loose original manufacturers warranty and support for that camera, including any service that involves the modification. When you installed the Rawlite OLPF, the original cover glass was removed from the original “sealed” installation. After doing this, BMD is not longer going to be able to run it’s preset camera sensor calibration, as their sensor cover glass is not longer in place.

A sensor recalibration, is based on the OEM setup in the camera’s optical path, including the original sensor covering glass. Once it is removed by anyone other than BMD, BMD has the right to refuse service on that camera, as it no longer meets their original specifications. Nikon, Panasonic and most other camera companies have the same “small print” policy.

The day I modified by BMD EVF with the Wooden Camera Mod, even though the electronic and optical parts of the EVF were not touched, just the physical mount, I lost BMD Support/service for that EVF. I knew and accepted this before I did the modification.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

BradleyScott

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 6:02 pm

Thanks Denny, I appreciate the response.

In my experience, it's not unheard of to change the OLPF on a camera for different situations. I've done it myself on Red cameras before. I do understand that with BMD they don't have options for different OLPF's like Red, but considering the procedure of switching it out takes about 5 minutes (roughly, I witnessed mine being switched), I thought BMD would have went through the small amount of effort to perform the calibration.

On the topic of the EVF mod, that is far different. I know, I bought the wooden camera mod for my EVF as well and that's a totally different story.

Brad

BradleyScott

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 6:22 pm

Tony,
I do have one other question if you don't mind.

BMD did a marketing piece on Roy Wagner's work on STAND. It's my understanding that he also was using the OLPF on that camera to deal with certain fabrics (my case for using the OLPF is the same). Is there any way that a pro user can install this filter and still get support from BMD? Can we pay more to get that little extra? I'd love to invest in a G2, but the OLPF is a necessity for me.

Thanks

Denny Smith

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 6:49 pm

Pro cameras like the Red or UM Pro can have the OLPF installed and removed without touching the sensor cover glass, so putting one in or removing it is fairly straightforward, without any modification to the camera, as it inserts to the rear of the lens mount.

As for your BMD Camera, which one are you referring to, the original Pocket or the Micro Cinema or?
I would have removed the Rawlite filter and reinstalled the original sensor cover glass before sending the camera in to BMD. You did not keep the original cover glass? If this is the original Pocket camera, BMD has very limited stock of parts left, and may not have a new sensor cover glass available.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

lee4ever

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 6:52 pm

Thanks for informing BradleyScott.

BradleyScott

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 6:56 pm

The camera is the UM 4.6k. I did try to reinstall the IR filter, but the rubber gasket doesn't fit around the glass once it is removed, so there is nothing to hold the glass exactly in its' place. I wonder if the remark about 'debris' from tech support is referring to breaking the seal around the original IR filter.

But if I can send the camera in with the original filter (with broken seal), I will probably do that. Hopefully someone from BMD can chime in here

Return to Cinematography