BM Hyperdeck Studio Minis Flicker issue

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

hadi.alaee

BM Hyperdeck Studio Minis Flicker issue

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 5:26 pm

Hi everyone,
I have 3x HD SDI cameras (1080p 30fps) which are routing to 3x BlackMagic Studio Minis (inside an IT rack). All cameras have roughly 200-250 ft of coax wires. I have random flickering issues on my signal. It sometimes completely black, sometimes some flickers and sometime no flicker.

While I could see the flicker on BM, I connected wires to a monitor and saw no flicker issues.

I have made sure that BM studio minis have latest driver installed with them. But not what else I could do? What are the repeaters? Would be useful to put one and see if it fixes the issue?

Thanks
Hadi

royseegers

Re: BM Hyperdeck Studio Minis Flicker issue

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 6:00 pm

250 ft only works using high grade coax. Can you post the cable type?
Repeaters can help, if you place them somewhere halfway.

hadi.alaee

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 6:26 pm

royseegers wrote:250 ft only works using high grade coax. Can you post the cable type?
Repeaters can help, if you place them somewhere halfway.

I'm using M17/29-RG59 coax cables.

What repeaters do you recommend? I don't know why some repeaters need DC power, and some don't?
Any thoughts on these:
Datavideo VP-634 3G/HD-SDI/SDI 100 Meter Extender for the VP-633
KanexPro SDI-HDRPTPRO SDI Repeater

royseegers

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 8:52 pm

The last time I used rg-59 was in the analog age... not really the type used for sdi. Are we talking about a security camera instal?

All reclockers are powered. The datavideo needs a separate power injector inline. I'd look on this site. A micro converter sdi-hdmi has a reclocked loop sdi

hadi.alaee

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 9:20 pm

royseegers wrote:The last time I used rg-59 was in the analog age... not really the type used for sdi. Are we talking about a security camera instal?

All reclockers are powered. The datavideo needs a separate power injector inline. I'd look on this site. A micro converter sdi-hdmi has a reclocked loop sdi

Thanks for your response, these are cameras we use on our aircraft. I chose rg-59 because it is a type of coax used on aircraft. Is there a coax you recommend? I can't see the site you are referring to.

Dave Del Vecchio

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 10:43 pm

You are probably better off with a double-shielded low-loss coaxial cable designed specifically for HD-SDI video signals. Something like Belden 1694A or Canare L-4.5CHD would be suitable for transmitting HD-SDI signals over distances of 250 ft.

Return to Live Production