Your GPU Memory is full.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

MishaEngel

Re: Your GPU Memory is full.

PostWed Nov 28, 2018 1:58 pm

MarcusWolschon wrote:
EOEF Prod. wrote:I no longer get the (GPU memory is full) message after selecting only the Titan X card in the preferences. However, in "Task Manager" (PC) I can see the Titan Black card working in conjunction with the Titan X when I playback in the color correction Tab with say a motion blur activated.

When I get "GPU Memory is full" with an internal 8GB Nvidia GTX 1070 mobile
(using NeatVideo on DCI 4K and temporal NR material from the BMPCC4K camera),
would an additional external 8GB Desktop card (so 1 internal 8GB, 1 external 8GB and 1 internal Intel)
solve that or does it need to have more memory then the current card?

You need more memory or a GPU that can swap to system memory.

MarcusWolschon

PostWed Nov 28, 2018 2:02 pm

MishaEngel wrote:
MarcusWolschon wrote:
EOEF Prod. wrote:I no longer get the (GPU memory is full) message after selecting only the Titan X card in the preferences. However, in "Task Manager" (PC) I can see the Titan Black card working in conjunction with the Titan X when I playback in the color correction Tab with say a motion blur activated.

When I get "GPU Memory is full" with an internal 8GB Nvidia GTX 1070 mobile
(using NeatVideo on DCI 4K and temporal NR material from the BMPCC4K camera),
would an additional external 8GB Desktop card (so 1 internal 8GB, 1 external 8GB and 1 internal Intel)
solve that or does it need to have more memory then the current card?

You need more memory or a GPU that can swap to system memory.

That's the question. More GPU Memory in a single GPU or across all GPUs?

MishaEngel

PostWed Nov 28, 2018 6:28 pm

All or a GPU that can swap to system memory

MarcusWolschon

PostWed Nov 28, 2018 6:38 pm

Thanks.
So an additional GPU should help.

Erik Wittbusch

PostWed Nov 28, 2018 6:56 pm

The weakest card always sets the limit!
Not the biggest one.

MarcusWolschon

PostWed Nov 28, 2018 8:18 pm

Damn. Now we have 2 contradicting answers. :/

MishaEngel

PostWed Nov 28, 2018 8:30 pm

All GPU's need more memory. The GPU with the lowest memory is the bottleneck.

8+8 -> 8 GByte
8+4 -> 4 GByte

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Dec 02, 2018 12:18 am

Resolve does not take memory from one GPU to use in another. Thats effectively what shared memory apps do.

So, if you are running out of GPU memory you need to reduce the processing being asked of the GPU, or reduce the resolution, or both. Alternatively get one GPU with a lot of memory. There are a number now with 16GB or more.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Uli Plank

PostSun Dec 02, 2018 6:15 am

Neatvideo is not really profiting much from two GPUs. Try the 8 GB one only, it should suffice for 4K.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Jean Claude

PostSun Dec 02, 2018 11:06 am

you can also go into the preference panel (advanced configuration) in NeatVideo and reduce the use of GPU or ask "Only CPU" or ... you have to test different parameters to give Davinci Resolve more GPU VRAM.
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

MarcusWolschon

PostSun Dec 02, 2018 11:13 am

Jean Claude wrote:you can also go into the preference panel (advanced configuration) in NeatVideo and reduce the use of GPU or ask "Only CPU" or ... you have to test different parameters to give Davinci Resolve more GPU VRAM.

Thanks! That's a very practical advice to get this timeline to render at all.

banana

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 7:57 pm

Hey folks,
I know it has been a while since the last post in this thread, but I haven't found another more recent thread dealing with this Problem. I am running Resolve 15.2.1. at the Moment and I am still running into the same problems. 'Your GPU Memory is full' Pops up very frequently (especially in the Fusion tab), complete crashes of Resolve afterwards. Same thing as written above. Only restarting Resolve helps. Same as above. GPU memory IS NOT FULL at crash. Same as above.
So my question is: Are there people out there also still running into the same problems with Resolve? What helped you fixing the problem? Maybe there are recent news/insights I do not know about yet.
Thanks a lot guys!
Davinci Resolve 18.5
Intel i7 6700
Radeon RX570 8gb

MishaEngel

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 9:01 pm

banana wrote:Hey folks,
I know it has been a while since the last post in this thread, but I haven't found another more recent thread dealing with this Problem. I am running Resolve 15.2.1. at the Moment and I am still running into the same problems. 'Your GPU Memory is full' Pops up very frequently (especially in the Fusion tab), complete crashes of Resolve afterwards. Same thing as written above. Only restarting Resolve helps. Same as above. GPU memory IS NOT FULL at crash. Same as above.
So my question is: Are there people out there also still running into the same problems with Resolve? What helped you fixing the problem? Maybe there are recent news/insights I do not know about yet.
Thanks a lot guys!

So, if you are running out of GPU memory you need to reduce the processing being asked of the GPU, or reduce the resolution, or both. Alternatively get one GPU with a lot of memory. There are a number now with 16GB or more.

i.o.w. reduce the number of effects (render it twice or moretimes when you need more effects).

banana

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 11:29 am

Hey MishaEngel,

thanks for your reply. But how do I render each effect at its own and stack them back together? As far as i know the first render output would cover all other rendered layers underneath in my timeline. But the chances are high that I am really getting something wrong here ;)
Thanks
Davinci Resolve 18.5
Intel i7 6700
Radeon RX570 8gb

MishaEngel

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 2:15 pm

As an example: you can first render your effects and then re-render with NR (NR is a bitch on memory usage).

MarcusWolschon

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 2:19 pm

MishaEngel wrote:As an example: you can first render your effects and then re-render with NR (NR is a bitch on memory usage).

Wouldn't you want your NR (e.g. NeatVideo) on the original footage?
e.g. after the primary grade and before the secondary ones and certainly before any effects and editing?

MishaEngel

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 3:56 pm

MarcusWolschon wrote:
MishaEngel wrote:As an example: you can first render your effects and then re-render with NR (NR is a bitch on memory usage).

Wouldn't you want your NR (e.g. NeatVideo) on the original footage?
e.g. after the primary grade and before the secondary ones and certainly before any effects and editing?

Yes.. that's why we use AMD VEGA FE's with 16 GB of VRAM for 4..8k footage.
And when it runs out of memory (which never happened sofar) it can swap to system memory with the HBCC-software.

HaveBlue

PostSun Dec 30, 2018 10:22 pm

I'm constantly having the same issue as well editing 4K footage. Rendering out the footage also results in the wrong video clips in the wrong places in the video or the video stuck using a clip for the rest of the render.

Is this software is complete garbage? Why anyone would buy the paid version is beyond me. After changing every setting I could find in the software from optimizing media to running in proxy, there simply isn't anyway to make it reliable. Is there no workflow that doesn't cause it to crash every 10 seconds?

If I set the Timeline resolution to HD I don't get errors. If my source footage is 4K and my Timeline is HD, what happens when I render out in 4K? Is it converted from 4K down to HD and then upscaled to 4K losing quality?

What does the Timeline resolution mean in the scheme of things? What does the monitor resolution mean? No of this is explained anywhere.

I'm going to have to go back to my other NLEs which edit 4K flawlessly.
W10Pro, Resolve Studio, Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB RAM, SSD and platter drives, GTX 1070 8GB, LG 10bit 4K 32" monitor with two 20" HD monitors

Ole Kristiansen

PostSun Dec 30, 2018 10:45 pm

HaveBlue wrote:I'm constantly having the same issue as well editing 4K footage. Rendering out the footage also results in the wrong video clips in the wrong places in the video or the video stuck using a clip for the rest of the render.

Is this software is complete garbage? Why anyone would buy the paid version is beyond me. After changing every setting I could find in the software from optimizing media to running in proxy, there simply isn't anyway to make it reliable. Is there no workflow that doesn't cause it to crash every 10 seconds?

If I set the Timeline resolution to HD I don't get errors. If my source footage is 4K and my Timeline is HD, what happens when I render out in 4K? Is it converted from 4K down to HD and then upscaled to 4K losing quality?

What does the Timeline resolution mean in the scheme of things? What does the monitor resolution mean? No of this is explained anywhere.

I'm going to have to go back to my other NLEs which edit 4K flawlessly.

What is the mediainfo of your 4K footage and what hardware, OS and Resolve version you are using ?

HaveBlue

PostSun Jan 06, 2019 5:05 pm

So I want to apologize. I took the issue to heart and have resolved to make Resolve go. The hardware requirements are just more than other NLE'S I use, but then it is amazing.

My system only had 12gb of RAM so I bought another 16, which makes 24gb with my 4 slot arrangement. I also returned the 2gb GTX 1050 i happened to buy recently and ordered an 8gb card.

After adding the ram, the only GPU I have lying around is an old 2gb gt640 so I threw that in. Amazingly I am finally able to render a simple 4k timeline without errors. Windows made 11gb of shared vram available.
4k 16:9 24p Sony xavc Input
4k 21:9 yt Output
Normal color profile. I'll try regrading some Slog when the better card comes.

This bodes well.
W10Pro, Resolve Studio, Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB RAM, SSD and platter drives, GTX 1070 8GB, LG 10bit 4K 32" monitor with two 20" HD monitors

banana

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 9:49 am

Same way I managed it. Figured out that VRam was just too less on my machine. Bought the cheapest 8GB GPU available right now (Radeon RX570) and it runs brilliant now. Similar to @HaveBlue I noticed that Resolve has higher Hardware requirements than NLEs I worked with before.
Thanks guys
Davinci Resolve 18.5
Intel i7 6700
Radeon RX570 8gb

MishaEngel

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 3:24 pm

When you need more memory the new VEGA 7 (with 16 GByte, 1 TB/s) looks to be a very good option at $700 for heavy TNR with 4k, 6k and 8k.

NikosKont

PostThu Apr 18, 2019 3:01 pm

The error hit me when tried to do a tracking for Call Out effect as part of my learning curve.

The sad thing is i did the same thing (with few more clicks and a decent outcome) at Premiere with the same hardware without such issues.

If i cant TRUST the app so i invest money and time on it things dont look good.

HaveBlue

PostThu Apr 18, 2019 3:17 pm

Premiere has less hardware requirements to do the same things. You'll have to decide where to spend the money. On an Adobe subscription or hardware to run Dr.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

NikosKont

PostThu Apr 18, 2019 3:27 pm

HaveBlue wrote:Premiere has less hardware requirements to do the same things. You'll have to decide where to spend the money. On an Adobe subscription or hardware to run Dr.

Not really my call, im going thru a crush learning curve to decide for a client what he's going after.

Just seems illogical to me Davinci not able do some stuff the simple way, why have to complicate things?

I dont gave up on Davinci yet, im just frustrated...im sure there are other ways to achieve the same thing on same hardware.

MishaEngel

PostThu Apr 18, 2019 4:50 pm

BMD has a lot of manuals, also one for required hardware for Davinci Resolve.
Reading it might enlight you if this software fits your hardware.

Their is always a learning curve when switching from one NLE to another, for some it's better to step in with Davinci Resolve 16 (still in beta) and start using it for paid work when it's out of beta(and you've learned how to use it).

HaveBlue

PostThu Apr 18, 2019 5:16 pm

If you are just doing an evaluation then simply lower the timeline resolution to HD or lower until you don't get out of VRAM errors. Also only use v15. Do not use v16. They won't have much difference in learning. The free version will run slower than the Studio version.

NikosKont

PostFri Apr 19, 2019 6:13 am

Thanx all for the answers, i'll take them in consideration.

If anyone knows another way to make the CallOut effect without getting the dreadful GPU memory error please share a link.

Thomas Martin

PostFri Apr 19, 2019 10:54 am

It is obvious that Resolve and Fusion are becoming increasingly GPU accelerated.
This is the future and I must admit I do not understand why anyone complains
about it. A GPU with less than 10 GB VRAM will simply be outdated very soon and
this is not BMD specific, it is the same in all graphics industries, from 3D programs
and renderers like VRay or Arnold GPU to Substance Painter and Next-Gen games.

MarcusWolschon

PostFri Apr 19, 2019 10:59 am

Thomas Martin wrote:It is obvious that Resolve and Fusion are becoming increasingly GPU accelerated.
This is the future and I must admit I do not understand why anyone complains
about it. A GPU with less than 10 GB VRAM will simply be outdated very soon and
this is not BMD specific, it is the same in all graphics industries, from 3D programs
and renderers like VRay or Arnold GPU to Substance Painter and Next-Gen games.

With an 8GB CPU it's supposed to run slower. Not refuse to run at all.
What are all the amateur filmmakers with Blackmagic Pocket and Pocket 4K to do with their raw footage?

Steve Alexander

PostFri Apr 19, 2019 11:50 am

What is obvious to me is that BMD has not yet figured out how to scale their use of the GPU to accommodate less powerful systems, particularly laptops for which 2 and 4 GB of GPU RAM is the norm.

Good for you if you have the funds to purchase a new system each year when the next version of Resolve requires double whatever GPU memory you have this year but for many this is not an option.

I think we would all be pleased if Resolve ran faster with more GPU memory - the converse being that it ran slower with less GPU memory but still ran... The argument against graceful scaling (by some) is that they would prefer to see BMD working on new features rather than 'wasting' (their words, not mine) time developing graceful GPU memory scaling - I suggest that they can do both.

One can always hope.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Peter Fizgal

PostSat Apr 20, 2019 7:48 am

The way Resolve uses the GPU has often given me a lot of grief.

I use a 1080ti & Resolve 15.3 and right now I’m only trying to render a 1080 timeline with one fusion clip and it is giving me constant GPU full errors.

I now installed istat to see how much actually is being used by the GPU, it turns out that it’s constantly below 40% GPU memory usage.

I’ve now moved my composition to the standalone fusion 9, which works perfectly...
Looking at the release notes of fusion 16 and the move to GPU acceleration, I’m wondering if this is actually a blessing or a curse..

I’m also sharing the sentiment expressed in this thread ; I understand the gpu error when trying to do realtime stuff, but I don’t understand the error message when all I’m trying to do is render optimized media for my timeline.

This is just wrong.

I’m looking at radeon cards, hoping to never see the gpu error again, but as I’m always in the middle of projects it’s hard to take this step. So in the meantime, I’m hoping that Blackmagic will “fix” this awkward gpu behaviour.
Please ?
Mac Pro 2019 - 12core 3.3 - 48Gb Ram - All SSD - AMD Radeon VII - macOS 10.15.2

MishaEngel

PostSat Apr 20, 2019 2:13 pm

It's also possible that BMD is not to blame. It might be NVidia https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4772 or microsoft.

Peter Fizgal

PostSat Apr 20, 2019 3:11 pm

Well, if Microsoft is to blame for this, than I shall write an angry letter to Bill, because I am a Mac user :D

Joking aside, I have had GPU full errors for as long as I can remember (I started at Resolve 11....)

My problem is that I do understand a GPU not being able to cope with processing demands in the case of realtime playback. I do NOT understand GPU errors for any kind of background (or foreground) render.

If a GPU can't keep up with the task at hand, it should slow down. Not exit with an error.

MishaEngel

PostSat Apr 20, 2019 3:26 pm

Then you have to call Tim Apple.

What kind of GPU are you using?

When you have VEGA GPU's you shouldn't run into "memory is full" problems. Vega uses the HBCC, that can swap to a max of 524288 GByte of memory (512 TByte).

When you're using NVidia...

Peter Fizgal

PostSat Apr 20, 2019 3:38 pm

:lol:

Indeed, I'm using an Nvidia 1080ti. After reading your posts, I'm planning to jump for the Radeon VII when support comes with the next macos update, so my complaint won't hold much longer.

I am a little frustrated though as I feel the 1080ti has been a massive waste of time and money. (And a source of frustration too)
Nobody's fault but mine... but I still think that Blackmagic should handle GPU errors more elegantly.

MishaEngel

PostSat Apr 20, 2019 3:41 pm

NikosKont

PostSun Apr 21, 2019 4:24 am

Peter Fizgal wrote:If a GPU can't keep up with the task at hand, it should slow down. Not exit with an error.

What seems as common logic to us sounds illogical to them...go figure.

Meanwhile they re loosing sales and trust, and loosing sales somehow you can recover but loosing trust base its a big no no

HaveBlue

PostSun Apr 21, 2019 4:42 am

It's almost as if they feed the video data into a cuda API for processing. If it comes out, yay. Otherwise the API returns an out of memory error.

What's interesting is that other software is able to make use of cuda without trouble. Nero could process 4k footage using cuda on a gt640.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Mathieu Thibaut

Your GPU memory is full.

PostWed Apr 24, 2019 7:44 pm

Hi!

I'm editing a sequence, 1 minute, rather simple, and I constantly get that message ("Your GPU memory is full.")
It's on resolve 16 (16.0.0.0B.017)
There is no colour correction applied, but I have an extra video layer where I overlay video noise.

Is there anything I can change to not have that GPU memory full? Especially when rendering: when I render my edit, I get a 1-frame green flash between every clip. Quite ugly...

(I work on windows 8.1, NVIDIA GeForce GTX770 2GB, CPU i7-4790 @3.6GHz)

Mathieu Thibaut

Re: Your GPU memory is full.

PostWed Apr 24, 2019 7:47 pm

I forgot to mention that the video is 4k

rvaclavik

PostWed Apr 24, 2019 7:51 pm

Try this solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MishaEngel

PostWed Apr 24, 2019 8:17 pm

2 GB VRAM is to low for a 4k/UHD workflow.

Mathieu Thibaut

PostWed Apr 24, 2019 8:56 pm

Wow, a video from the same day...
I like that guy's videos.

unfortunately, it didn't help me...

Hopefully, an update will fix that...

In my case, it's definitely the blending mode that triggers the bug. If I just set my second layer to Normal/50% the message doesn't come back nor the green flashes.

Mathieu Thibaut

PostWed Apr 24, 2019 9:03 pm

@MishaEngel

Ok, I thought it could be as simple as a physical limitation...
But I did edit another 4k video with Resolve 15 without a problem (at that time I didn't use an extra layer with a blending mode tho')

Charles Bennett

PostWed Apr 24, 2019 9:42 pm

Quite a few of us have had this problem with version 16. The cure was to update the GPU driver with the latest version. You will find the latest version on the Nvidia website. If given a choice go for the Creator version of the driver.
The green flashes are probably your GPU having a hard time. Try doing your renders at half speed. I just about get away with 6GB VRAM, but always render at half speed to give the system a chance, and never have problems.
Yes, your GPU is well underpowered for 4k. 8GB VRAM is the recommended minimum. Also I see you are using Win 8.1 which is not supported. Resolve is optimized for Win 10.
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Steve Alexander

PostThu Apr 25, 2019 3:37 am

There is no cure for the GPU memory is full error - the problem is with Resolve and while a driver update may have eased the issue, many users have not had a significant benefit from the latest nVidia drivers.

By monitoring the GPU memory consumption it is clear that Resolve simply uses too much GPU memory (perhaps it has a memory leak - not sure).
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Eugenia Loli

PostThu Apr 25, 2019 4:21 am

What people suggest that minimum is 8 GB of VRAM, is crazy. Sorry, but when you have a $300 Panasonic camera shooting 4k, and it's required of you to get a $800-$1500 graphics card to edit that 4k video (not counting the cost of the rest of the PC), obviously something is not right. Other software solutions can do just fine with 2 GB of VRAM for 4k, and I hope Resolve gets optimized. I personally just upgraded to a 4 GB nvidia card and I have no intention of spending more money on a new one. Particularly since Resolve 15 worked fine with it. I need Resolve 16 to be able to do that too, because they were released only 1 year apart. I expect the same type of system requirements -- not doubled.
Collage artist, illustrator, filmmaker: https://vimeo.com/eugenia

Mathieu Thibaut

PostThu Apr 25, 2019 7:16 am

@Charles Bennett

Hello Charles, interesting, how do you render at half speed? I never heard about that.

Carsten Sellberg

PostThu Apr 25, 2019 7:37 am

Eugenia Loli wrote: What people suggest that minimum is 8 GB of VRAM, is crazy.

Hi.

I am sorry, but I don't think it is crazy. It is what BMD recommend in the Resolve 15 configuration Guide:

https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... _Guide.pdf

But I wonder why you choose a nVidea Graphics Card with only 4 GB of vRam, when you can get a cheep AMD Graphics card with 8 GB of vRam?

And in a few months will the AMD Navi Graphics Cards arrive with 8 GB of vRam. It will be perfect for Resolve 16 and it will be produced in the new 7 nm process node and will be both faster and cheaper to
manufacture.

I hope that Resolve 16 in the future releases, only will need the same amount of vRam as Resolve 15. But the future AMD Navi Graphics Card with 8 GB of vRam is only a few months away.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve