Can't change cache location Resolve 15 beta

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

grinch

Can't change cache location Resolve 15 beta

PostTue Jul 10, 2018 1:48 pm

Hi there!
after installing resolve beta 15, playing around with my first projects, i realized that the .gallery and CacheClip location was set to the downloads folder of my system drive.

so i deleted this location from preferences->media storage and added a new location on a different drive which is also constantly connected to the system. (the first and only entry now)
additionally i changed the location in the project settings->working folders and saved.

then i deleted the cacheClip folder from the system drive, hoping everything is fine now.

no matter what, each time i load a project in resolve, it recreates the cacheclip folder in the downloads folder of my system drive and cache is going to go there.

is it a beta bug ?

i also looked into all the config files in C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Preferences\
like config.dat etc. etc.
each file only contains my new location on drive D:\

but it seems that resolve don't care...

what can i do ?

thx in advance

Dermot Shane

Re: Can't change cache location Resolve 15 beta

PostTue Jul 10, 2018 3:43 pm

a few thoughts

cache target location is set in pref's, if has not been changed there, Resolve will re-creae as it needs
best pratice is to set caches loction per project inside a project folder, you can then manage / delete at the os level

grinch

PostTue Jul 10, 2018 5:44 pm

as i said, i did set the working files location for each project to a specific folder on drive D:\
AND i did set the media storage location in preferences to a folder on drive D:\

but it always recreates the cache folders (CacheClip) in my downloads folder when opening a project, no matter what.

it totally ignores which location i have set in both preferences and project settings

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jul 12, 2018 6:03 am

Tom, when you say 'opening a project' its not clear if you mean opening a new or existing?

Now that you have changed the first drive path in preferences, start a new project, make sure the project settings are set to the new drive/path and then in project settings, presets, select the default use and system configs and save.
then exit resolve, restart and test.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

John Tarvin

PostSun Jul 22, 2018 2:05 am

Yes, this must certainly be a bug. I want to move the cache and gallery stills off my drive for video and onto a new larger drive, as these things take a lot of room until you are finished and can delete them.

Project settings let me change the gallery stills location, but it complains and asks for confirmation every time. It does NOT however let me change my cache files location. It has decided to put them on my OS drive (C:) in some weird folder (vol0). And, I can't change it and have it stick.

Hope this gets fixed in the very near future.

Thanks,
John Tarvin
Win 10 pro, I7 Hex Core, 3.5Ghz, 32Gb, Nvidia GTX 770 4Gb
Mavic 2 Pro, Phantom 4 Pro, Sony AX100, Nikon D810

edjski

PostSun Mar 31, 2019 12:24 am

I'm experiencing the exact same issue. I'm successfully running Resolve 15.1.2.008 on Linux Mint 19. The problem is that I am unable to change the CacheClip location. I can enter the new file path in File > Project Settings > Master Settings > Working Folders "Cache files location" field but when I tab out of the field, it resets to the existing file path.
At some point I was able to change the file path as the existing (current) file path is one I set (rather than the default).
Part of my issue may be that I changed the name of one of the folders in the file path. Resolve apparently doesn't like it. It won't let me change the existing file path, there is no way to delete the file path and "Add New Folder" doesn't allow for / in the New Folder field and there is no way to browse the drives to "manually" select the folder of my choosing.
Resolve is stuck on a folder that no longer exists and there seems to be no way to fix it.

pyrodarkness

PostThu Apr 11, 2019 5:25 pm

Same issue here. Whenever I change it, it changes back. This is even after I change the Medai STorage Location in preferences.

AndreasOberg

PostSat Apr 13, 2019 7:41 pm

I got it to work after adding the path to Media Storage. Then restarting Resolve and then reconnecting it.
Andreas
VFX Director - Visual Forest Ltd

Mark_Rodriquez

PostSun Apr 28, 2019 2:59 am

Thank goodness for this forum otherwise wouldn't have ever come up with the solution.
Windows 10, 64 Bit
i5-13600K
32GB DDR4 Memory
RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB VRAM

kkbfilm

PostSun Aug 11, 2019 12:29 pm

My solution to this problem was going to "Davinci tab -> pref -> Media Storage -> Select C: and click REMOVE. Then click the ADD button and choose a desired Drive or folder.

Close Media Storage window and open Project Master Settings and change the "Cache Working Folder" then do a restart of Resolve. Voilà.

SantenPlu

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 12:54 am

Still persist in 16.1.

Joao.Gri

PostMon Nov 18, 2019 4:12 pm

Hi, I was going through the same thing and scratching my head. After some trial and error I found that the answer was written right in front of me, under the Media Storage Locations box:
The first MEdia Storage Location in the above list will be used to store gallery stills and cache files. This location should be permanently connected to your system.

Well, there you go. Unfortunately, you have to delete to reorder. That I did and now everything works as it should!

SantenPlu

PostFri Nov 22, 2019 8:03 am

Good finding. Have to try this.

But why can you select an other location if it doesn´t work anyway. That would be really bad software design.

Phil999

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 8:45 pm

AndreasOberg wrote:I got it to work after adding the path to Media Storage. Then restarting Resolve and then reconnecting it.
Andreas

thank you Andreas, that helped.

I removed a footage-SSD and didn't remember that I set the cache location there at the Media Storage level (Resolve Preferences level). Took me quite a while until I got it working again, using another drive. There's also the Capture location which needs to be set right. Even if you don't capture.

What I learned: in Resolve one has to set up the workstation correctly in Media Storage, not changing these locations.

Stalker

PostMon Feb 03, 2020 6:03 pm

Thank you very much kkbfilm :D
The same problem with path. And now all is working properly!

johnnyw

PostFri Feb 28, 2020 7:39 am

I am having this problem with Resolve 16.

I have put in a new drive and have set up the Preferences/Media Storage within Resolve to point to my Resolve folder on this drive and as it says below "The first media storage location in the above list will be used to store gallery stills". This is the only item on that list in fact.

But each time I open a new project it insists on creating a new Resolve folder on the old drive and puts the gallery stills in there. I have also changed the settings in the Project settings/Working folders/Gallery stills location but as soon as I open a new project it reverts to the old settings, pointing to a folder in the old drive it has just created , in spite of the fact that I have told it to use the other drive! Arrrggg!

Any clue anyone? Thanks

johnnyw

PostSun Mar 01, 2020 5:45 pm

OK I sorted this out by re-installing Resolve after going through all the directories to remove any trace of old files (the Add Remove programs is not sufficient,,,there are files buried everywhere)

Thom Britten-Austin

Re: Can't change cache location Resolve 16.2

PostMon Mar 30, 2020 9:39 am

same here, latest version as well. regardless of settings in media storage it wont relocate cache files to new drive. in below picture it should be using the X: drive to create optimized media but insists on using the old F: drive. BM people, this seems to be a recurring issue and needs to be fixed please ...

Annotation 2020-03-30 113810.png
Annotation 2020-03-30 113810.png (11.24 KiB) Viewed 15636 times

Annotation 2020-03-30 113750.png
Annotation 2020-03-30 113750.png (17.75 KiB) Viewed 15636 times
Thom Britten-Austin
Windows 10, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X, Resolve 18.5

JK2900

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 7:32 pm

I am also having this issue... on 16... went though all my projects and changed the paths in preferences (three for each project).

And I also changed the path in the master....

Every time I open Resolve it creates a new folder (same name as my old folder) and will not send the .gallery to the appropriate location that I mapped.

I don't even open a project. This is me opening the project manager.

I think it's something to do with "Untitled Project"... That is the only project that has the wrong paths in it.

Edit: Looks like I was able to fix it. I did a few things and am not sure which one worked... I made sure that all my default project configurations has the appropriate file names. Then saved an "untitled project" as a "trash_project." I then opened a project I was working on, reconnected all the media to the project, made sure all the file extensions were accurate, made a change in that project, then saved it. After saving that project I shut down Davinci and then deleted the folder that Davinci has been creating (the one by the name I'm no longer using)..... Now when opening the project manager and my projects it's not creating the rogue file.... Sorry I wasn't scientific with my troubleshooting.. just throwing the kitchen sink at it.
RTX 3080ti / R5 3600 / B550-A-Pro

matthiasheymann

PostSun May 24, 2020 4:07 pm

Same problem for me.

I, too, wanted to change the location of the CacheClip folder, so I made the changes in both the DR System Preferences and in the Project settings.

Now, for any NEW projects it puts the CacheClip folder into the correct new location. However, with the old projects, it keeps recreating the old CacheClip folder location, even though that old path is no longer anywhere in my settings (system settings or project settings). I also tried making a copy of that old project, in the hopes that somehow this would re-initialize it. But that didn't work.

Somehow, this path information must be stored somewhere in the project files even though we changed it everywhere in the settings. I think this recreation of the old CacheClip folder must happen when DaVinci tries to READ the old cache files, as it would somewhat make sense to look for these files where the project has stored them previously. Maybe our changed settings are only used when creating _new_ cache files.

SOLUTION (?): If there is a menu option anywhere that would tell DR to recreate all cache files within a project, or to disregard all previously created cache files, I can imagine this may solve the issue. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF SUCH A MENU OPTION?

matthiasheymann

PostSun May 24, 2020 7:48 pm

I think I finally resolved this. To summarize:

PROBLEM: After changing the directory for the CacheClips (both system-wide in "DaVinci Resolve -> Preferences -> Media Storage" and in the project settings in "Master Settings -> Working Folders -> Cache files location") and after then deleting the old "CacheClips" folder, that old CacheClips folder keeps getting regenerated.

REASON: This is not actually a bug. The reason is that while all NEW cache files are saved into the newly chosen location, the project still assumes that there are old cache files in the old location. Therefore, when you open the project, it looks for these files, and in the process the old directory is regenerated.

SOLUTION: You need to tell DaVinci to delete all your cache files from the project. For me, all I had to do was to open your project, choose the menu options "Playback -> Delete Optimized Media" and "Playback -> Delete Render Cache -> All". Now you can delete your old CacheClips folder (with the Finder in your Mac, or the File Browser in your PC), and it won't come back again.

silvermandj

PostTue Jun 30, 2020 5:02 pm

Thank goodness for all of you on this forum! I had the same issue and it was resolved by deleting all of the old cache and resetting the pref media folder and then resetting the cache location.

There must be a better workflow for BM Developers. Maybe a warning if you change one thing or a message that prompts you to delete cache if you want to change the dir?

:?
Asus ROG Strix X570-E
AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5GHz Sixteen Core 105W
PNY GeForce RTX 2080 TI 11GB V2 Blower Fan
2x Samsung DDR4-2666 32GB
Blackmagic Design DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Resolve Studio 18.5.1 Build 6

willgibbonsdesign

PostFri Jul 10, 2020 10:27 pm

Hi,

Can anyone confirm the solution supplied by matthiasheymann? I've tried following it to a T and am still having the folder named 'DaVinci' (containing a .gallery folder) created simply launching the application (not opening any project files) in the old location. I'm running DR16.

It seems to be related to the 'untitled project', since every time I change the .gallery folder location, it keeps reverting since I can't seem to save over the 'untitled project'. Any ideas?

I know I'm new to Resolve, but something like this shouldn't be so difficult to resolve...

Yuke17

PostFri Aug 28, 2020 11:28 pm

Looks like one of the key steps is to reboot DR.

I had the same problem as others - couldn't redirect cache or gallery to a new drive. I'd set them in PROJECT SETTINGS, hit SAVE, then reopen PROJECT SETTINGS and both cache and gallery were still homed to the original older drive. Even removed that old drive from PREFERENCES and deleted the old cache and gallery folders.

So I launched a new project, in PROJECT SETTINGS re-homed the cache and gallery locations to the new drive, SAVEd that change, closed DR, it asked me to SAVE the project (which I did), then relaunched DR and the dummy project. Both Cache and Gallery are now mapped to the new drive.

Phew.

Iamdippednbutta

PostMon Aug 31, 2020 9:43 pm

So this link may be dead, but I was able to change the cache location by deleting the old cache location. I think because Davinci Resolve had files in there it didn't want to change the location. Once the cache was cleared I was able to change its location. Cheers!

BeemerBoy1000

PostWed Oct 07, 2020 7:48 pm

Same Issue with "DR16.3 Beta Studio". Strangely, I managed to change it once and I generated optimized media on an external USB drive (Over 1TB ) I left it overnight

I then went into my project to load a preset and then change my cacheclip folder ( as I have done many times before) and it would keep of defaulting to the first listed folder in my global file location preferences.

2 hours later, I'm still nowhere. So now I have to split my project into sections and create and delete optimized media,render cache as I go.

What a nightmare !!

If I don't get anywhere tomorrow, I'm going to start looking in the registry...

I might even log a call ;-)

Ian

rententen

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 11:39 am

Had the same issue when I wanted to change the cache location to an external SSD drive because of low disk space on my laptop SSD. What worked for me was to...

1. Change the project media location to my desired one in Preferences > System > Media Storage
2. Close Resolve, Open Resolve
3. Change the location to my desired location (same as in 1. but with subfolder "CacheClip") in Project Settings > Master Settings > Working Folders > Cache Files Location
4. Save, Close Resolve, Open Resolve

Only then it kept my desired project cache location.
Hope it helps.

jarred.elsner

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 11:29 pm

kkbfilm wrote:My solution to this problem was going to "Davinci tab -> pref -> Media Storage -> Select C: and click REMOVE. Then click the ADD button and choose a desired Drive or folder.

Close Media Storage window and open Project Master Settings and change the "Cache Working Folder" then do a restart of Resolve. Voilà.

you are my absolute Hero, been trying to sort this out for 4 days at extensive research, this finally worked for me. You are a champion @kkbfilm

ilykdp

PostTue Jun 29, 2021 8:47 pm

rententen wrote:Had the same issue when I wanted to change the cache location to an external SSD drive because of low disk space on my laptop SSD. What worked for me was to...

1. Change the project media location to my desired one in Preferences > System > Media Storage
2. Close Resolve, Open Resolve
3. Change the location to my desired location (same as in 1. but with subfolder "CacheClip") in Project Settings > Master Settings > Working Folders > Cache Files Location
4. Save, Close Resolve, Open Resolve

Only then it kept my desired project cache location.
Hope it helps.

I'm running 17.2.1 on MacOS 11.4 (Big Sur) and COULD NOT get reassigning the Media Storage location to affect the project reopening prompt to reappear over and over "cache location is offline/inaccessible".

BUT following your crucial 3rd step—changing the PROJECT SETTINGS cache location did the trick!

Good lord I was screaming internally that I couldn't see audio waveforms no matter what else I tried. Thank you, good sir.

Return to DaVinci Resolve