BMPCC 4k General issues, bug reports, Feature requests

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Csaba Nagy

Re: BMPCC 4k General issues, bug reports, Feature requests

PostSat Feb 23, 2019 1:15 am

Robert Niessner wrote:
Csaba Nagy wrote:Feature Request:

CFAST/SD Card Data Transfer / Backup

Would be great to have the ability to offload an internal card ( CFAST or SD ) onto an externally connected
SSD. Can act as a quick backup or to let you roll through the day and hand off footage to someone else easily. Let's me keep the laptop at home for doing data dumps.

Like the LaCie DJI Copilot? Or the Nexto products?
https://www.nextodi.com/products/ncb-20/

Similarly I suppose, yeah. But again those are extra equipment needed to lug around, more compact than a laptop and purpose built for offload but none the less more things to bring.

I can't speak for how it should behave in a professional work environment, I just know it would have been very handy on my latest road trip, where I could have connected my Samsung T5 500GB drive to the camera and offloaded the earlier part of the day's footage form the 256GB CFast allowing me the format the card and have some more record time for the rest of the day.
Csaba Nagy
Filmmaker
BMPCC4K

Swissified

PostSat Feb 23, 2019 8:18 am

Robert Niessner wrote:Is it possible that you while operating the camera accidentally hit the HFR button? You might not notice because depending how you have setup your camera it might just show 25/25 fps then and all seems ok. But in OFFSPEED mode the audio is not sync locked to the video anymore.

Happened to me a couple of times that I hit the HFR button by chance.

This is good to be aware of! Thank you for mentioning it.

Randy Walters

PostSat Feb 23, 2019 3:32 pm

Australian Image wrote:One thing I wouldn't mind having with the BMPCC4K are lower frame rates, say 12fps and 6fps. There are times where even 24fps is higher than needed and having lower frame rates would be quite handy.

Using the Timelapse mode, you can record a still frame at the following intervals:

Frames 2 – 10
Seconds 1 – 10, 20, 30, 40, 50
Minutes 1 – 10

So if the camera is set to 24fps, you would set Timelapse to 2 frames for 12fps, and 4 frames for 6fps.

(Oops – I didn’t realize there was another page of responses; using the off speed frame rate has already been pointed out. Using Timelapse is a different way of going about it.)

Spencer Acoustics

PostSat Feb 23, 2019 7:05 pm

A delay timer for photos and video. You know, press the button and pic or video starts 1-10 seconds later.

Allow us to view pics on the camera !!!!! Why can we watch our videos but cannot view photos?

Take photos in jpeg format or something other than raw. OR better yet, make some software to easily view the raw photos and raw video on the pc rather that having to import everything into Resolve to preview and label them. Really, just some easier way to label clips and pics, maybe do this on the camera itself?

A better indicator when taking pics, a beep, click, something louder than a small icon on the screen.

Get rid of the 3 rubber caps over the accessory ports (pwr, mic, hdmi, etc) and make one large removable cover. Those caps are always in the way when setting up my rig for video so I finally just removed the bottom 2 caps.

Allow us to rename reels rather than just renumber the reels

Keep in mind, I purchased this camera as a video camera not a stills camera but it seems the P4K is missing the most basic photo related features. I was shocked when I discovered that there was no way to look at a photo on the camera itself.

My lens mount does not hold lenses tight enough to the body. There is a visible gap between the body mount and the lens mount. There is quite a bit of visible movement. I'm not referring to rotational movement but movement where the end of the lens is allowed to move up and down. Of course the longer (or heavier) the lens is, the more up and down movement there is. Native MFT lenses and lens adapters/boosters have the same issue. Lenses fit tightly on the adapters but the adapter has a gap to to the body mount.
Spencer Acoustics

P4K, Rokinon Cine DS lenses
Asus Deluxe x299
Intel 7940X 14 core cpu
32GB ram
EVGA 3050 8GB
Samsung 970 EVO M.2 - Windows
Samsung 970 EVO M.2 - programs
Samsung 960 EVO ssd - storage
1-WD Black - storage
4-WD Blue - storage
DR Studio

SandroSchreiber

PostMon Feb 25, 2019 3:40 pm

Spencer Acoustics wrote:Take photos in jpeg format or something other than raw. OR better yet, make some software to easily view the raw photos and raw video on the pc rather that having to import everything into Resolve to preview and label them. Really, just some easier way to label clips and pics, maybe do this on the camera itself?

A better indicator when taking pics, a beep, click, something louder than a small icon on the screen.

jpeg would be handy. Also a better indicator would be helpful.
You can use xnview to preview the dng files. It's free and opens various raw files.

Cheers!
Resolve Studio 18.6.4 | Resolve Mini Panel | Win11 22H2
GeForce RTX4090 (551.61 studio driver) | DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K, Desktop Video 12.8.1

Spencer Acoustics

PostMon Feb 25, 2019 4:23 pm

I agree, it is a cine camera. But, it does take photos so why not include basic features like timers, being able to view your photos in camera, etc.

How much is this 'visible' movement? If I hold any of my m4/3 camera bodies and then force a lens up and down, there will be 'visible' movement. None of this translates to any image deterioration. Is this movement that you're experiencing sufficient to slide a piece of paper, paperclip or knife in between?

You've probably seen my response in the thread I started on this issue but for the sake of those who are unaware of that thread I'll answer it again.

I can fold a yellow sticky note in half and slide the folded edge between the camera body and lens mount.
Spencer Acoustics

Asus Deluxe x299
Intel 7940X 14 core cpu
32GB ram
EVGA 3050 8GB
1-WD Black - storage
4-WD Blue - storage
DR Studio

Spencer Acoustics

PostMon Feb 25, 2019 4:30 pm

Feature request: zoom to higher magnification on lcd monitor. current max is 2x. 5x and 10x would be helpful for nailing focus.

I agree. With my old eyes even that big screen, focus assist, and zoomed in I still have trouble getting great focus.
Spencer Acoustics

Asus Deluxe x299
Intel 7940X 14 core cpu
32GB ram
EVGA 3050 8GB
1-WD Black - storage
4-WD Blue - storage
DR Studio

Cameron Porter

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 4:02 pm

It may be old news by now, but I did work with BM support to figure out the audio sync issue. Apparently it's a firmware issue with true frame rates like 24p and 30p. They said they would push out a fix as soon as they could, but in the meantime shooting 23.98 and 29.97 exclusively resolved all of my problems.

In fact, the fix might have been pushed out already and I just haven't noticed because I haven't tried to shoot at those fps yet.

Denny Smith

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 4:13 pm

Spencer, if you zoom past the pixel resolution of the monitor (X4-6), younwill not be able to pull a focus, as you loose the details you need to see to focus. So a X4 Zoom is about as far as you really need to go on a larger monitor like the PC4K has. The larger the monitor, the easier it is to focus, zooming a 5-inch monitor X2 gives the image scale of a 10-inch monitor, etc.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Swissified

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 10:16 am

Csaba Nagy wrote:Feature Request:

CFAST/SD Card Data Transfer / Backup

Would be great to have the ability to offload an internal card ( CFAST or SD ) onto an externally connected
SSD.

Can act as a quick backup or to let you roll through the day and hand off footage to someone else easily. Let's me keep the laptop at home for doing data dumps.

I fully agree with this request! That would be in terms of Feature requests 'heaven on earth' for the very same reason as you "keep the laptop at home".

Wayne Steven

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 2:31 pm

Australian Image wrote:I haven't heard of any camera that can download directly from an internal memory card to an external memory card (SSD or whatever). That's why I used to use one of those Nexto drives years ago (still have it) when memory cards were of small capacity and expensive.

Android?
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Wayne Steven

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 2:40 pm

Better Braw, more detail but not fake detail, setting to turn noise reduction down to authentic temporal reduction only.

Highlight recovery techniques to gain two more stops.

Reliable HDR modes, and back to back multiple exposure so that twin exposure frames are joined or nearly do in timing, grouping the shutter time mostly together for two frames.

Full pro photographic festures so it's a true pro camera, as well as "pro video" and that cinema thing.

Beat lame competition.
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 3:38 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:
Cameron Porter wrote:-shooting on the transcend 256gb c-fast 2.0 card (which is on the BMD approved media list for the PCC4k), at 4k uncompressed raw at 60fps, it will begin to drop frames consistently between 6 and 7 seconds. 3:1 works fine as does every other record setting..

Just a note on this, because this topic gets mentioned over and over:

That is not a thing or problem with the camera. No single CFast 2.0 card ever had been able to record uncompressed 4k raw at 60fps. This has been stated in the manuals, this has been stated on the official list of approved media and one could do some simple math on ones own that this can't work out.

So this is not an issue with the camera, but a restriction of the currently available media standards.

Then it simply should be disabled.
When at least some media will be able to handle it then it can be enabled with new firmware. Way more elegant solution than giving options which cannot work. It's like selling a car which you cannot drive as petrol needed for it is not on the market :D
I assume next will be option called "Surprise" (which destroys camera) with manual saying- never use this feature :)

Justin Jackson

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 5:07 pm

The 4K60 RAW is a non issue now that CDNG is removed.

I would like to see higher frame rates with BRAW Q5 if possible. Would be great to get 150, 180 maybe FPS in HD? Given that they can still do 120 in ProRes, I would hope that the BRAW could do more since it is a faster codec to encode to.

Also would love a 4x zoom (like others said). I dont know if I got something wrong on my HDMI out, but my larger monitor never sees the zoom, so I cant use it to focus with. If that is my error, how to fix, if not, it would be great to see the 2x/4x (if implemented) zoom on external monitors.
Custom DIY AMD1950x 16-core/32-thread, liquid cooled, 64GB 3600Mhz RAM, 950Pro-512GB NVMe os/apps, 2x500GB 850 Evo RAID 0 SATA3, Zotac 1070 8GB video, USB 3.1Gen2 RAID0 2x4TB, 2x2TB Crucial MX500 SSD SATA3.

Chris Chiasson

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 2:06 am

One little thing I'd want is a onscreen button on the left hand side that would allow me to get into the menu. If this exists already let me know, but when holding the camera with my right hand, I wish I could just access the menu with an onscreen button without having to press the physical menu button.

Denny Smith

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 2:18 am

Justin, the zoom to focus only works on the camera’s monitor, not the output. Your solution is to use an external monitor like the new Focus 7-inch that has its own zoom to focus, and the Focus monitors will do x4 Zoom. ;)
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Spencer Acoustics

PostSat Mar 23, 2019 12:24 am

Spencer, if you zoom past the pixel resolution of the monitor (X4-6), you will not be able to pull a focus, as you loose the details you need to see to focus. So a X4 Zoom is about as far as you really need to go on a larger monitor like the PC4K has.

Thanks Denny. I found a workaround that seems to be working for me. I put the camera in 1080 mode to get the crop sensor zoomed in look, then hit the 2x zoom button, get my focus, change back to 4k and start recording. All of my stuff is recorded using a tripod so this works for me.
Spencer Acoustics

Asus Deluxe x299
Intel 7940X 14 core cpu
32GB ram
EVGA 3050 8GB
1-WD Black - storage
4-WD Blue - storage
DR Studio

Richard Wait

PostFri Apr 26, 2019 2:41 pm

Having used my BMPCC4k for a few days now, things that would make my life a little easier.

* When using the 2x punch-in focus assist - if the HDMI is set to Clean Feed OFF - give us the 2x on the external display too
* When using the front dial to change (for example WB) can we have the ability of using another button to swap to the next option (in this example TINT) instead of using the OSD buttons.
Regards

Richard
Underwater BlackMagic Videographer

Wilbur Nelson

PostFri Apr 26, 2019 7:15 pm

Having a weird issue -- camera will not turn on even with a fully charged battery. I can "jump start it" by just momentarily plugging in wall power. And even then it will turn on and off for at least a few hours on the battery alone. But leave it off for a day or so -- no dice.

Justin Jackson

PostSun Apr 28, 2019 12:43 am

Buy a 2nd battery, and see if the battery you have is dead/bad.
Custom DIY AMD1950x 16-core/32-thread, liquid cooled, 64GB 3600Mhz RAM, 950Pro-512GB NVMe os/apps, 2x500GB 850 Evo RAID 0 SATA3, Zotac 1070 8GB video, USB 3.1Gen2 RAID0 2x4TB, 2x2TB Crucial MX500 SSD SATA3.

Chris Whitten

PostSun Apr 28, 2019 7:50 am

FWIW, I have the stuck battery issue.
All my batteries are legit, bought expensively from authorised dealers, and the issue is with all batteries including canon and the BM one that came with the camera.
I took it back to the dealer and after investigation they have had to send it back to BMD. So far it has been gone a couple of weeks.....just as I was about to start filming for a new project.
Chris Whitten

Wayne Steven

PostSun Apr 28, 2019 12:05 pm

Look up a site, called battery university. There are a couple of circuit things which can happen, but as all batteries have it, maybe it's the camera, unless all batteries have gone through something unusual, like overheated (the site has instructions). So, maybe time to explore sending it in.

Wayne Steven

PostSun Apr 28, 2019 12:15 pm

One thing BM can do, is explore advanced battery technologies, like coated nano wire batteries. The lithium silicon nano wire batteries are supposed to be capable of 10x the storage density, and recharge very high cycle. An first off partnership deal to make batteries with that can demand high prices, and allow cameras to run up to 10x longer. Plus some people would be willing to pay 10x the price for this, and you could sell the canon type battery to a bunch of users, at a little profit split for BM.

rick.lang

PostSun Apr 28, 2019 2:50 pm

Do you think lithium silicon nano batteries are the next big thing we’ve been awaiting? The price curve is not likely to be linear as in 10x the price for 10x the power. Although very specialized applications may welcome that as it makes some scenarios more feasible. But 2-3x the price for an initial 5x the power might be reasonable to ensure wider adoption that will justify development costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Stephen Fitzgerald

PostSun Apr 28, 2019 5:02 pm

This is tough, I haven’t found any bugs yet...as far as the P4K it’s just like my Ursa Mini, except I use it more. Sure I like the image a bit more on the UM, but it’s too big to use for every job...one feature I’d like to see is BMD making it possible to have the back screen have a timeout time. For those of us (like myself) using external monitors I’d like to have a 5 second, 10 second, 60 second. This way the back screen can be dark and not waste precious battery.

I don’t think the P4K does this...

So yeah, a rear screen timeout while recording option, put that in there if you can.

Onallem

PostSun Apr 28, 2019 7:51 pm

Hi, I live in France and need to shoot in 25 or 50 fps. But I have issues with these frame rates. When I make a fixed shot in the street, the cars are moving jerky ; same thing if I make a slow pan on fixed objects. If I switch to 29.97 or 30 or 59.94 or 60 fps it's fine. 23.98 and 24 are as jerky as 25 and 50. Off Speed Recording is off. I tried ProRes/Braw, HD and UltraHD, different shutter speeds, different lenses, 50 and 60 Hertz.
Thanks for your help.

Wayne Steven

PostMon Apr 29, 2019 7:55 am

rick.lang wrote:Do you think lithium silicon nano batteries are the next big thing we’ve been awaiting? The price curve is not likely to be linear as in 10x the price for 10x the power. Although very specialized applications may welcome that as it makes some scenarios more feasible. But 2-3x the price for an initial 5x the power might be reasonable to ensure wider adoption that will justify development costs.

I put in a big fat early adopter safety margin so people WOULDN'T object Rick. :)

Ultimately it maybe close to present costs. But as an early adopter and early production technogy, it will like be expensive. But for a high end professional a 10x capacity batter might be worth $1000AU, not just $350AU over buying a generic battery. S, you sell 10k-100k batteries a year to everybody in the market. After you recoup your money and set yourselves up, you sell for $100.
Last edited by Wayne Steven on Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wayne Steven

PostMon Apr 29, 2019 9:11 am

I don't know how it goes for durability against this sort of thing. There are newer plastic immersed lithium battery technology you can put nails through and get wet I think. So, I don't know how safe it will be AI.

Wayne Steven

PostMon Apr 29, 2019 9:25 am

Hmm, this is not a future model feature request thread, but I had an idea. I have just posted an cheap 8k gaming phone thread ( viewtopic.php?f=14&t=90385 ) and a feature request occurred to me. You know how phones have a second camera on the back, what about an extra 8k phone camera on the pocket. Just hold onto that thought until April 1st next year. :D

Onallem

PostThu May 02, 2019 10:41 am

Onallem wrote:Hi, I live in France and need to shoot in 25 or 50 fps. But I have issues with these frame rates. When I make a fixed shot in the street, the cars are moving jerky ; same thing if I make a slow pan on fixed objects. If I switch to 29.97 or 30 or 59.94 or 60 fps it's fine. 23.98 and 24 are as jerky as 25 and 50. Off Speed Recording is off. I tried ProRes/Braw, HD and UltraHD, different shutter speeds, different lenses, 50 and 60 Hertz.
Thanks for your help.

Hi again, does any PAL people have same issue ?

Robert Niessner

PostThu May 02, 2019 9:22 pm

Onallem wrote:
Onallem wrote:Hi, I live in France and need to shoot in 25 or 50 fps. But I have issues with these frame rates. When I make a fixed shot in the street, the cars are moving jerky ; same thing if I make a slow pan on fixed objects. If I switch to 29.97 or 30 or 59.94 or 60 fps it's fine. 23.98 and 24 are as jerky as 25 and 50. Off Speed Recording is off. I tried ProRes/Braw, HD and UltraHD, different shutter speeds, different lenses, 50 and 60 Hertz.
Thanks for your help.

Hi again, does any PAL people have same issue ?

On which device are you watching the footage when you evaluate the shots?
And give us sample footage to download, otherwise it is impossible for anyone here to see what is going on.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Onallem

PostFri May 03, 2019 5:20 pm

I can see this issue even when shooting. It appears on camera's screen, in my Gratical Eye EVF and on my Benq monitor. I will try to upload some comparable files, but did you try to shoot at 25 or 50 fps on your BMPCC ?

Robert Niessner

PostFri May 03, 2019 9:34 pm

Onallem wrote:I can see this issue even when shooting. It appears on camera's screen, in my Gratical Eye EVF and on my Benq monitor. I will try to upload some comparable files, but did you try to shoot at 25 or 50 fps on your BMPCC ?

I shoot 25p and 50p all the time on my PCC4K, UM46K and UMP.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Onallem

s_the_ghost

PostTue May 07, 2019 10:27 am

At this point the feature I'd like to see the most is a 2/2.5/3K slow motion option at 96fps or something similar to get slower than 60fps without having to drop all the way down to HD. Would be an insanely huge plus for me and the kind of work I do.

Comparing the BMPCC4K to the new G2 in terms of price and specs, I really wonder what BM can do in the price range of a full frame DSLR. The BMPCC4K gives you raw 4K video for 1,750$ in Canadian Pesos which is ridiculous. Imagine if they made a pro version in the 2,500-3,500$ price range at perhaps a slightly bigger size, with more features and some better audio preamps. I'd be all over it.

Robert Niessner

PostTue May 07, 2019 6:45 pm

I have watched your clips now:

The 25 fps clip has a 90° shutter which is 1/100.
The 30 fps clip has a 108° shutter which 1/100.
The 50 fps clip has a 180° shutter which is 1/100.
The 60 fps clip has a 216° shutter which 1/100.

This might look like the correct way of exposing the image to you, but it isn't.
With a film camera you should mostly stick to the 180° rule of thumb for exposure.
That means a lower FPS will get a longer exposure - resulting in more motion blur per frame to hide fast motion.

Lower FPS means less samples taken per time - so the driving cars jump more pixels per frame and your brain makes it look more juddering.

Another problem is that most computer monitors will use a refresh rate of 60 Hz (= 60 FPS). So if you are trying to play a 25 FPS or 50 FPS clip that won't work out nice because the playing video does not sync to the frame rate of the monitor - leading to a more judderish look. High contrast objects like a bright colored car are also more prone to judder because it will trick your brain.

So a good way would be:
25 fps with a 180° shutter which is 1/50.
30 fps with a 180° shutter which is 1/60.
50 fps with a 180° shutter which is 1/100.
60 fps with a 180° shutter which is 1/120.

I also saw that you shot at ISO100. With the PCC4k the clipping point is fixed to the 2 ISO gain stages. That means ISO100 - 1000 are clipping at exactly the same exposure - the footage just gets a different gamma curve applied. From ISO1250 - 6400 is the second stage with the same clipping point within. Above ISO6400 any ISO has a slightly earlier clipping point.

If you want to control your exposure while shooting outside then you need IRND filters. Closing the iris further above f/8.0 will make your image more and more less sharp because of diffraction.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Robert Niessner

PostTue May 07, 2019 7:01 pm

I've made you in After Effects four comps where a white circle is accelerating from left to right.
All with 180° shutter, but different frame rates. Circle's speed is always the same.
Watch for yourself what happens:

Motion Blur 25+60fps.zip
(1016.24 KiB) Downloaded 130 times

Motion Blur 30+50fps.zip
(947.98 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Onallem

PostTue May 07, 2019 8:26 pm

Thank you Robert for your time and sense of pedagogy! I really apreciate.
- I will now stick to the 180° rule. I shoot in interlaced most of the time and didn't care about it, but I will.
- My Gratical Eye and Benq monitor refresh at 60 Hz, you are right.
- About ISO, isnt'it better to shoot at 100 than 1000 ?
- I ordered a VND filter.
I saw in another topic that you have a 14-35 2.0 Zuiko lens. I bought a used one but have 2 issues :
- autofocus doesn't work : it sticks on infinite when I switch it on
- this lens isn't parfocal at f2.0
I don't really need autofocus, but it's boring to have to focus again when zooming during an interview.
Do you have same issues ?
Thanks again.

Robert Niessner

PostTue May 07, 2019 9:30 pm

Onallem wrote:- About ISO, isnt'it better to shoot at 100 than 1000 ?

If you are shooting BRAW the ISO setting in a gain stage (100-1000 and 1250-6400) doesn't matter at all, you can change that later in post without loss.

If you are shooting ProRes the ISO settings have a bit more impact, because of the gamma curve.
I wanted to make you aware of that you cannot use ISO for exposure control in the same way like you would be used on DSLRs.

With ProRes I tend to set my ISO at a value where it looks nice on screen. Usually that would be ISO400 for normal conditions, in bright sunlight I might prefer ISO200 and ND for stronger colors. In less bright situations I'll tend to use ISO800 and for low light - well any ISO that fits my needs. ;-)

Make yourself aware of the false color mode the camera offers. With this it is very easy to nail skin exposure. Try to expose scenes consistent - makes your live in the editing easier.

Onallem wrote:- I ordered a VND filter.

Be careful - the camera has a weak infrared filter built-in so if you are using a standard ND filter it will let infrared light through which will alter your image reddish - the stronger the ND, the more it will shift colors. Black cloth might appear darkred or magenta.
So you need either an IR filter, too. Or a combined IR+ND filter which is called IRND.

Onallem wrote:I saw in another topic that you have a 14-35 2.0 Zuiko lens. I bought a used one but have 2 issues :
- autofocus doesn't work : it sticks on infinite when I switch it on
- this lens isn't parfocal at f2.0
I don't really need autofocus, but it's boring to have to focus again when zooming during an interview.
Do you have same issues ?

Sorry, I don't have that lens. I have the Olympus Zuiko Pro 12-100mm f/4.0, the 7-14 f/2.8 and the Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Onallem

PostWed May 08, 2019 3:04 pm

Thanks Ray, thanks again Robert.

rick.lang

PostWed May 08, 2019 6:34 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:I have watched your clips now:...
The 30 fps clip has a 108° shutter which 1/100...
The 60 fps clip has a 216° shutter which 1/100.

This might look like the correct way of exposing the image to you, but it isn't.
With a film camera you should mostly stick to the 180° rule of thumb for exposure.
That means a lower FPS will get a longer exposure - resulting in more motion blur per frame to hide fast motion.

Lower FPS means less samples taken per time - so the driving cars jump more pixels per frame and your brain makes it look more juddering..

So a good way would be:...
30 fps with a 180° shutter which is 1/60...
60 fps with a 180° shutter which is 1/120...

Robert, I’ve always shot my action as you are describing. But a while ago there was discussion on the forum about The Hobbit, if I remember correctly, concerning the unnatural motion blur when it was recorded/projected at 48 fps using a 180° shutter angle rather than the normal 24 fps for cinema with a 180° shutter angle. The conclusion of that discussion was that the DoP should have used a 360° shutter angle for 48 fps. Do you remember?

Rick Lang

Wayne Steven

PostThu May 09, 2019 4:32 am

s_the_ghost wrote:The BMPCC4K gives you raw 4K video for 1,750$ in Canadian Pesos which is ridiculous

Yes it is, it should be less than $1000.

Now, Sony has new 32mp 4/3rds sensor.

Wayne Steven

PostThu May 09, 2019 5:01 am

A vertical anamorphic adaptor.

s_the_ghost

PostThu May 09, 2019 5:18 am

Wayne Steven wrote:
s_the_ghost wrote:The BMPCC4K gives you raw 4K video for 1,750$ in Canadian Pesos which is ridiculous

Yes it is, it should be less than $1000.

Now, Sony has new 32mp 4/3rds sensor.

Why do you want sensor sizes larger than your maximum recording resolution, though? And whatever camera this sensor is used in, will it be shooting raw in-body? I can't think of any other camera offering the same specs for the same price or less.

There are point and shoot cameras well over 1,000$ that are doing ~100mbps 8-bit video that will just throw in a buzzword "AI eye tracking technology" AF feature and it makes it a great buy, but a 1,750$ camera shooting raw is expensive?

Wayne Steven

PostThu May 09, 2019 5:53 am

There is little real difference between it and a Yi M1 that should cost that much done in a lower cost way. It's a lot of smoke and mirrors pricing, one looks in the mirror and sees what they think it should be through the haze of the smoke in the maze of mirrors.
This overpricing allows BM to undercut them, even with a more expensive camera to make. The right thing never depends on what other people are doing wrong.

I'm not quite getting your meaning with the sensor size and resolution thing. I was joking the vertical anamorphic could give you 3:2, 4:3, 4:4 photo sizes. Pity its not April first, would be a genius thing to release on that day.

The other thing.?, the Sony sensor. It could be a 16:9 8k, or maybe a 6.xk photo format, which people are craving here to diwn sample to 4k. We'll just imagine it's 8k firnthe moment. 4k quad bayer video, 8k stills, or 8k down sampled to 4k with a pixel shift to corners of the quad Bayer, for extra quality. Seems good. Whatever it is. There is a possible Sony sensor for a pro pocket version people are asking for (but how much more pro then the existing Pocket 4k do you want without getting a mini or micro?). Of course BM could threaten to go with the 15 stop + 4k 4/3rds sensor from the original pocket sensor supplier, to see if they can get a 15 stop+ technology Sony sensor. The pictures look nicer 15 stop+.

rick.lang

PostThu May 09, 2019 3:26 pm

All companies, large and small, want to make more money than they made the year prior. That’s a fairly easy goal when you’re a startup and your first year you make $10,000 selling a gizmo. It gets much harder when you’re making $10,000,000 after adding a thing-a-ma-jig, but you can still achieve eye-catching growth. But it’s practically impossible to go beyond without adding a whatcha-ma-call-it. If you do reach $10,000,000,000, you are probably stuck. Apple has likely peaked. Berkshire-Hathaway has likely peaked. I suspect Canon and Nikon already peaked. Google and Facebook are looking in the rear-view mirror at their peaks.

Any of them would kill for a WTF idea. With incremental improvements in technology, it’s easier to move from SD through to 8K, but that’s pretty much where 99% of your market yawns and thinks “so what?” The same thing happens to colour where for a long time now you can have a couple of billion colours or more and high fidelity stereo to ATMOS but that capability is approaching “so what?” There are attempts to innovate such as light field technology, but to tell a story, that stuff is hitting “who cares?” Canon RF? Who cares except the accountants?

The one thing in my extremely limited experience that is worth chasing after is something that your audience won’t even notice and that is, yes, you guessed it, really high dynamic range where the digital sensor mimics the best film and never seems to clip in a real world situation. We are so far from that even with 15 stops when the bright sun lights skin on fire while you need to capture the shadows. Seeing that solved affordably for most shooters would be my objective if I was president looking for a “how-dey-do-that?”

Rick Lang

John Paines

PostThu May 09, 2019 3:30 pm

rick.lang wrote:AThe one thing in my extremely limited experience that is worth chasing after is something that your audience won’t even notice and that is, yes, you guessed it, really high dynamic range where the digital sensor mimics the best film and never seems to clip in a real world situation. We are so far from that even with 15 stops when the bright sun lights skin on fire while you need to capture the shadows. Seeing that solved affordably for most shooters would be my objective if I was president looking for a “how-dey-do-that?”

Early Renaissance painting has no clipping, but once you get to the Old Masters, there is it is. Beauty, traditionally understood, will go out the window, if there's unlimited DR.
Last edited by John Paines on Thu May 09, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rick.lang

PostThu May 09, 2019 3:50 pm

Well I know what you mean and agree in the context of painting. Thankfully it looks like we shall never get too far down the path to really high dynamic range and beauty will still be achievable. And I’ll continue to let my highlights go if the sensor requires more available light in the shadows.

We’re all painters. But as president, I hope there’s still a another stop or two to gain to help the business and the artists.

Rick Lang

John Paines

PostThu May 09, 2019 4:26 pm

rick.lang wrote:We’re all painters.

Let's hope so! This is one was painted around 1600. If it was the BMPCC4k, people would be complaining about "harsh" highlight rolloff:

875px-The_Calling_of_Saint_Matthew-Caravaggo_(1599-1600).jpg
875px-The_Calling_of_Saint_Matthew-Caravaggo_(1599-1600).jpg (166.62 KiB) Viewed 10455 times

Dune00z

PostThu May 09, 2019 5:27 pm

John Paines wrote:
rick.lang wrote:We’re all painters.

Let's hope so! This is one was painted around 1600. If it was the BMPCC4k, people would be complaining about "harsh" highlight rolloff:

875px-The_Calling_of_Saint_Matthew-Caravaggo_(1599-1600).jpg

If Rembrandt's portraits were done today I am sure the internets would be ablaze complaining about no detail in the shadows, lack of sharpness, and how video-like it looks.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography