ND filter recommendation?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

garypayton

PostMon Jan 21, 2019 11:00 pm

Hi guys

do you have any expirience with variable nd filters for video/film ? Can you recommend me a brand?

Uli Plank

Re: ND filter recommendation?

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 2:14 am

I use the Heliopan variable ND.
While it's quite decent, you have to keep in mind that all of these are basically Polarizers with the typical side effects, like colors on windshields of cars or loss of shine where you may not want it.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

andres.montanez

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 2:29 am

Hi, I use the NiSi with IR cut, in 4x4 format. I'm very satisfied with them, I've used the 1.8 (-6 stops) with no noticeable color shift.

Cheers!
Andrés Montañez
ravenhaus.com

Sam Biddle

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 12:00 pm

I have the Simmod lens Variable ND, so far I can highly recommend it. Outer locking ring has been handy to adjust angle of polarisation. I like the little lever as well, makes on the fly adjustments really easy.

https://www.simmodlens.com/product-page ... 0-8-filter

Sam Biddle
3D Artist @ BlueBolt VFX

Brad Hurley

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 3:01 pm

The SLR Magic variable ND has a similar locking ring (looks almost identical in fact) and is also quite good; I've been pleased with mine so far.

In general, though, I mostly regret having chosen to go with a variable ND (for speed/convenience) and a set of circular ND filters. In retrospect a matte box would have been a better decision at the outset.

One problem is that once you start expanding your lens collection, your existing ND filters may not fit all your lenses and you need to get adapters or new filters altogether. With variable NDs there's also the issue of how to add a lens hood. A matte box addresses both of these problems.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

andres.montanez

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 4:02 pm

Also the Variable NDs works by polarizing the light, so you may be introducing an unwanted polarizing effect.
Andrés Montañez
ravenhaus.com

rick.lang

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 6:45 pm

Sam, that Simmod variable ND looks like a shameless copy of the SLR Magic version I use which has been available for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 6:52 pm

Brad, I thought I was safe going with 82mm filters for the SLR Magic APO primes, but now I have the Tokina 11-20mm which takes 86mm threads, I’m not able to use my SLR Magic Vari-ND II or my set of ten screw-on IRND 82mm filters! I do have 3 Kenko Tokina 86mm screw-on filters which look very good when I don’t want to use a matte box.

Thankfully I have the eight filter set of NiSi 4x5.65” IRND filters which is my recommendation if the shooter is willing to use a matte box.

Rick Lang

Stephen Fitzgerald

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 9:11 pm

Variable IRND filter suggestions for the UM4.6k??! Needs to be IRND and Variable I one, not separate.

Stephen Fitzgerald

PostWed Jan 23, 2019 6:32 pm

Anyone

rick.lang

PostWed Jan 23, 2019 10:37 pm

Perhaps we are stumped to think of a Vari-ND that is also an IRND.

Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostThu Jan 24, 2019 1:56 am

None that I know of, sorry. This is not a usual combo.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

visalapol

PostThu Jan 24, 2019 7:30 am

I have 2 piece combo SLR Magic VND + IRND work great.
Attachments
ir vnd.jpg
ir vnd.jpg (140.91 KiB) Viewed 8289 times

Alex Delfont

PostSun May 05, 2019 2:40 pm

visalapol wrote:I have 2 piece combo SLR Magic VND + IRND work great.

Hi, can I ask as you own an SLR magic variable ND. Does it feel quite firm and solid to rotate the two pieces? Or does it feel somewhat loose? When I first got mine it was firm, and soon became loose. I sent it off for repair and it was firm again, before becoming loose soon after!

I've sent it off again and just received it back in the exact same condition! I'm tearing my hair out trying to get it sorted. But optically I think they are the best VNDs Ive seen

pnguyen720

PostSun May 05, 2019 3:43 pm

My SLR Magic outer ring isn't the firmest thing in the world so it's a little loose. Having said that, once I set it, it hasn't moved so I think there's still enough friction on there to keep it in place.

Overall, I've been very happy with the SLR Magic but one thing I don't like is that it's usually not strong enough if I want to shoot at anything below 4.0 in direct sunlight. Maybe I'll get that Aurora Aperture to use instead.

Alex Delfont

PostSun May 05, 2019 3:51 pm

pnguyen720 wrote:My SLR Magic outer ring isn't the firmest thing in the world so it's a little loose. Having said that, once I set it, it hasn't moved so I think there's still enough friction on there to keep it in place.

Overall, I've been very happy with the SLR Magic but one thing I don't like is that it's usually not strong enough if I want to shoot at anything below 4.0 in direct sunlight. Maybe I'll get that Aurora Aperture to use instead.

Thanks, well mine felt way too loose. It was great when I first got it.

Yes they aren't very strong, but that's to limit the X effect and colour shift problems that stronger NDs suffer from. I bought some Hoya ones and they were awful by comparison, but they were conveniently smaller!

I think I'm going to just get a fixed ND of about 4 to 6 stops, and then I can stack that on the variable ND if I really need the extra darkness.

pnguyen720

PostSun May 05, 2019 6:52 pm

Are there any issues with stacking a fixed ND on top of a variable ND? Does it matter the order?

rick.lang

PostMon May 06, 2019 4:15 am

If you do go with the option of stacking another filter, SLR Magic IEND Pro 86mm is 4 more stops and an image enhancer. I’ve used it and posted results ages ago. The IEND works well with the SLR Magic Vari-ND Mark II filter you have as it screws into the front of the Vari-ND. It’s a good option to have in your kit.

I’ll also use it as a four stop filter for exterior shots with the Tokina Cinema ATX 11-20mm T2.9 zoom but not at 11mm if stacking another filter on top of the Tokina Kenko 2/4/6 IRND 86mm filters as that vignettes. If I need 8-10 stops in a light rig though, it’s a decent option when it saves using the matte box filters.
Rick Lang

Alex Delfont

PostMon May 06, 2019 8:18 am

Thanks for the tips

Yeah the only time I need more than the 6 stops of the SLR magic VND is when I use my Panasonic 42.5 1.2. All my other lenses can get close to wide in any bright situation that I film in with just the VND.

I also would like the option to use a fixed ND for interview situations as I'm not so keen on using even the SLR magic VND at its darkest

rick.lang

PostMon May 06, 2019 10:37 am

Using the SLR Magic IEND Pro, alone at four stops, should even enhance your image in that situation. You have the even reduction in light, reduction in infrared, sculpting of the spectral wavelengths to resemble the distribution of natural light (by reduction in spikes caused by artificial light sources), and no worries about polarization. Keep it clean and it seems the upsides outweigh the downside of another piece of glass in the path of light.

Last edited by rick.lang on Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

Alex Delfont

PostMon May 06, 2019 10:45 am

I'll have a look into it. Once I sort out my current SLR magic issues :)

Adam Silver

PostSun Aug 11, 2019 1:57 am

Nice recommendation Rick. I'm going to get the SLR Magic filter set. I still need a matte box I think, since I can't use a lens hood with the filter on top.

rick.lang

PostSun Aug 11, 2019 3:06 am

I may still have a video up on Vimeo (rick.lang) using the various strengths. If not I could reload it. Not perfect but can offer very good performance.

I use the very light Misfit Atom since 2016. I added a top flag but have to improvise for. Arm doors. Wish I had the next level up that supports barn doors as well. Or I learn to love flare on the Tokina Cinema ATX 11-20mm. It’s artsy, right?

Rick Lang

Gavin_c_clark

PostSun Aug 11, 2019 7:38 am

I use the tiffen vari irnd, no problems with it really, does what it says on the tin

Edit- looks like it’s discontinued now

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... utral.html

John Griffin

PostSun Aug 11, 2019 8:35 am

I now use B&W nano Vario ND's but they are not cheap. Unlike the cheaper brands the glass is multi coated which IME is essential when you are stacking 4 extra glass/air surfaces infront of a lens. As with all Vario ND's there is a colour cast but it doesn't change with the nd setting so once you dial it out with a custom WB it's neutral. It's limited to 1-5 stops so you don't get the X pattern although you can mod the filter to get an extra stop and judge the limit yourself. Lastly there is no resolution loss with long focal lengths. Cheap vario ND's have all these probems IME and if you are on a budget get a set of plain ND's.
If you are using small format cameras like the P4k with fast lenses to get shallower DOF you will find there is not enough ND strength in a Vario ND in bright conditions so you are better off with a stronger fixed ND anyway.

rick.lang

PostSun Aug 11, 2019 1:43 pm

Sounds similar to the SLR Magic design that is limited to 6 stops. May be better but I haven’t tried the B+W. Schneider knows filters.

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostSun Aug 11, 2019 4:32 pm

The test of SLR Magic screw-on ND filters I posted on Vimeo two years ago is still available and includes the image Enhancer with 4-stop ND.

Rick Lang

Valentin Remy

PostMon Aug 12, 2019 10:23 am

I love my SLR Magic variable ND ! The colors shift towards a warmer tone when you filter at the maximum setting, which I prefer over green or pink other brands give :) Of course you can fix it but, out of the box it just looks better.
http://www.instagram.com/valentinremy.be/

pnguyen720

PostMon Aug 12, 2019 2:49 pm

That slr image enhancer helps with the warmer tone

Return to Cinematography