Importing individual frames from a image sequence

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

nicholasjude

Importing individual frames from a image sequence

PostTue May 22, 2018 8:06 am

I am using RESOLVE 15 public beta 2. I am not able to import single still frame from the media browser. The Earlier versions had a option called 'show individual frames' but in resolve 15 it is removed. I kindly request the option to be made into the next version.

In order to import still frames from a image sequence. i have manually place the entire sequence onto the edit timeline and scrub through the edit timeline to find that particular frame and make a cut and make my edits/ color work which is pain taking process. I wish to scrub through my individual frames from the sequence in my media browser for a fast editing workflow. I humbly request the BlackMagic design to put the option back into the next versions. Thanks

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Importing individual frames from a image sequence

PostTue May 22, 2018 10:57 am

i dont see this issue.. please review
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=69837
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 23, 2018 2:22 am

Also, please dont double or triple post.. i will delete dups
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

nicholasjude

PostFri May 25, 2018 8:23 am

Computer Specs : Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Resolve Version : v 15.0.0B.043
CPU : Intel i7 2600K 3.40Ghz RAM :32GB GPU : NVIDIA quadro

Storage type : External HDD , SEAGATE 1TB portable, NTFS type

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri May 25, 2018 6:48 pm

Show Individual Frames is in the same place it was in 14:

On the Media page, the 3 dot menu in the Media Storage area, next to the Viewer.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

MrCritterfur

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 9:46 pm

Unless I'm doing something wrong "show individual frames" is not under the ... menu.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 10:12 pm

individual_frames.png
individual_frames.png (144.65 KiB) Viewed 13343 times
Dwaine Maggart

MrCritterfur

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 10:21 pm

Ahhhhh, you have to be on the Media tab.

It would be nice if they allowed that on the edit tab. Since that's where I'm doing most of my work right now.

MrCritterfur

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 10:22 pm

I clicked show individual frames. It's still showing them as a sequence.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 11:06 pm

In the Media Storage area?
Dwaine Maggart

MrCritterfur

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 11:55 pm

Yes. They were still linked as sequences. nothing changed.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Sep 21, 2018 1:08 am

What type of files?
Dwaine Maggart

MrCritterfur

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 10:09 pm

JPG

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 3:52 am

Can you provide a screen shot of the Media Storage area showing the jpg files as a clip?
Dwaine Maggart

RobStowell

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 10:38 pm

I've got the same problem. Using studio 15, as well as the free public beta, one on win 7 and one on win 8. Is this 'resolved'? If so, I'd love to know how! I import numbered sequences of stills a lot, and having to import each one separately is a PIA :)
Hm. Seems to work if I drag the files from the top window to the bottom one, but not otherwise. At least it kind of works sometimes!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Feb 21, 2019 2:20 am

media_storage_dpx_clip.PNG
media_storage_dpx_clip.PNG (118.52 KiB) Viewed 12761 times
Attachments
media_storage_dpx_clip_individual_frames.png
media_storage_dpx_clip_individual_frames.png (145.2 KiB) Viewed 12761 times
Dwaine Maggart

awc1366

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 5:46 am

Guys, I'm really sorry to be so thick about this, but I really can 't get this to work. I'm following your instructions (and reading the manual) and turning on that option still has no effect. See partial screenshot below. And, yes, I'm on the Media tab. I've tried setting the option before and after importing the images, with no effect: image sequences are displayed as a clip. I'm on v15.2.4.006. What am I missing?
Resolve image import.jpg
Resolve image import.jpg (179.11 KiB) Viewed 12619 times

xunile

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 5:46 pm

awc1366 wrote:Guys, I'm really sorry to be so thick about this, but I really can 't get this to work. I'm following your instructions (and reading the manual) and turning on that option still has no effect. See partial screenshot below. And, yes, I'm on the Media tab. I've tried setting the option before and after importing the images, with no effect: image sequences are displayed as a clip. I'm on v15.2.4.006. What am I missing?
The attachment Resolve image import.jpg is no longer available

Try selecting the folder with the image sequence in the upper left corner File Manager window. You should then be able to see the image sequence in the window just to the right. If you have 'Show Individual Frames" checked it should look like my second attached image, if not it should look similar to the first image, you should see the sequence as 1 clip.
Attachments
2019-03-08 (2).png
2019-03-08 (2).png (185.4 KiB) Viewed 12618 times
2019-03-08 (1).png
2019-03-08 (1).png (197.43 KiB) Viewed 12618 times
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

awc1366

PostSat Mar 09, 2019 12:48 am

Thanks, Eric. Success! I selected the folder in the upper left window (the media storage browser), then drilled down to the folder I wanted to import from. I selected all the files and dragged them into the media pool. This time it worked and the JPGs appear as "Still"s rather than "Clip"s. Ta Daaah!

I will have to remember in future that right-clicking and selecting "Import media..." from the Media Pool window will always import image files as clips.

You've saved me hours of project delays and hair-pulling!

Cheers,
...Doug

xunile

PostSat Mar 09, 2019 4:27 pm

awc1366 wrote:Thanks, Eric. Success! I selected the folder in the upper left window (the media storage browser), then drilled down to the folder I wanted to import from. I selected all the files and dragged them into the media pool. This time it worked and the JPGs appear as "Still"s rather than "Clip"s. Ta Daaah!

I will have to remember in future that right-clicking and selecting "Import media..." from the Media Pool window will always import image files as clips.

You've saved me hours of project delays and hair-pulling!

Cheers,
...Doug

You're welcome, glad I could help.
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

kawowski

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 1:11 am

I am using Resolve 15.3.1 and I am encountering this same problem, any folder of sequentially numbered stills is importing as an image sequence. I have looked in the Media tab, there is no "show individual frames" option in the dropdown window, I have tried amending a non numerical suffix to all the stills and it makes no difference, they still come in as a single image sequence file.

I can see the "show individual frames" option in the Media Storage window (i.e. when I am looking at the photos in their folder on the hard drive, but when I select 'Add Folders and Sub Folders to Media Pool and create Bins' the previously individual frames then import as an image sequence.

How do I import the individual frames into the Media Pool and retain their individuality?
Attachments
Resolve 15 still importing problem.jpg
Individual frames selection reverts to image sequence after importing stills.
Resolve 15 still importing problem.jpg (593.87 KiB) Viewed 12360 times

kawowski

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 8:57 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:
media_storage_dpx_clip.PNG

Hi Dwaine, in your attached screen grabs, both of those images show the files in their pre-imported status, i.e. in the Media Storage, but not in the Media Pool. What happens when you add those individual frames into a bin in the Media Pool? In my case, they return to Image Sequence format.

Can you post a screen grab showing that you are able to import a folder of individual frames into the Media Pool, by right-clicking 'Add Folders and Sub Folders to Media Pool and create Bins' which is how most people would want to import folders full of sub folders full of still images for an edit that is 'stills heavy'.

I have found a tedious workaround which requires having to select all individual frames and drag and drop over to the bin in the Media Pool, but this is very inconvenient for a job that has dozens of folders of still images.

Thanks.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Apr 18, 2019 1:26 am

That's correct. If you have Show Individual Frames active, and you want to add them all to a Bin in the Media Pool, you have to select them all and drag them to the Bin. Or select them all and right click the group and select Add into Media Pool.
Dwaine Maggart

kawowski

PostSat Apr 20, 2019 10:13 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:That's correct. If you have Show Individual Frames active, and you want to add them all to a Bin in the Media Pool, you have to select them all and drag them to the Bin. Or select them all and right click the group and select Add into Media Pool.

Hi Dwaine, with all due respect, that just seems like an unintelligible way to deal with still images from digital cameras which are always numbered sequentially. It's an arduous task to do all those 'select all' and 'drag & drop' actions, for folder after folder.

Wouldn't it be better to make the default setting 'individual frames' and for the odd person who wants to import image sequences, make a drop down option that says 'Import files as Image Sequence'? I mean I'd say that there are more people that have been using still images as 'individual frames' in film edits than those who've been importing image sequences, and for a lot longer?

SimplSam

PostSat May 11, 2019 10:05 am

I think, at the least, there should be an option to change the default behaviour. I use the setting both ways - but predominantly import single frames - and tend to always get caught out when I drag and drop from explorer.
Resolve Studio 18.6 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB

Sam

Frank Engel

PostSat May 11, 2019 12:00 pm

kawowski wrote:Hi Dwaine, with all due respect, that just seems like an unintelligible way to deal with still images from digital cameras which are always numbered sequentially. It's an arduous task to do all those 'select all' and 'drag & drop' actions, for folder after folder.

I am having a hard time imagining a scenario where someone is working on a project and has a large number of folders with still images that they want to condense into one place in the media pool. Try this: organize all of the folders under a common parent folder on the filesystem. On the media page, make sure Show Individual Frames is checked. Find the parent folder in the browser, right-click on it and select Add Folder and SubFolders into Media Pool (Create Bins).

Wouldn't it be better to make the default setting 'individual frames' and for the odd person who wants to import image sequences, make a drop down option that says 'Import files as Image Sequence'? I mean I'd say that there are more people that have been using still images as 'individual frames' in film edits than those who've been importing image sequences, and for a lot longer?

Sequences of images are the traditional format used in much VFX work (compositing) and are produced natively by film scanners and I believe by BMD's cameras that shoot in CinemaDNG RAW? Resolve is first and foremost a tool for *MOTION* image work, so image sequences are a sensible default. That said, I would more commonly want to use it for individual images than for image sequences too, so I agree with @SimplSam that having an option in preferences to change the default behavior is a good idea.

Peter Cave

PostSun May 12, 2019 12:31 am

Perhaps relocating the 'three dots' menu to a right click contextual menu selection with 'import as individual images' & 'import as image sequence' would make it easier for users to find. It's location is odd as all other import options are in the right click menu.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Revolver

PostMon May 13, 2019 4:30 pm

I just wanted to report that I ran into the same issue. It took me quite some time to figure out that the ... menu needs to be clicked on specifically under the 'Media' tab - not in edit, or cut, or fusion. Then you drag your clips into the 'Media Pool' while you're still under the 'Media' tab. One thing that threw me way off was that the ... menu exists in several places, specifically in the 'Media Pool', which frustrated me when I kept reading that you could find it under the ... in the media tab, which I mistakenly thought was the media pool. I hope this helps someone save some time down the road.

Nick Papps

PostWed Aug 28, 2019 4:27 pm

I have 11 folders with photos that I need to import into my project. "Show individual frames" is selected.

Then, when I select "Add folders and subfolders into Media Pool (create bins)" the photos that happen to be labeled numerically still import as a sequence.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Return to DaVinci Resolve