Full compatible lens for BM Studio Cameras

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

anna.catalan

Full compatible lens for BM Studio Cameras

PostWed May 15, 2019 2:29 pm

Hi!

I would like to know if, by chance, any of you have tried the M.Zuiko Digital ED 12‑40mm F2.8 PRO lens with a BM Studio Camera. I would like to control remotely the lens focus, iris and zoom adjustments (without an adapter).

I know it's a very specific focus :( , if you know any F2.8 lens no matter the brand, it would also be useful!

Ian Morrish

Re: Full compatible lens for BM Studio Cameras

PostWed May 15, 2019 8:50 pm

It is a nice lens but only iris and focus is remote controlled. Zoom is manual (and you have to refocus when changing zoom)
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

Denny Smith

PostThu May 16, 2019 12:14 am

Ana, it would cost less to buy the new Ursa Broadcast with the Fujinon 4K Zoom combo (available at B&H and in the UK), that it would to try and get a broadcast quality parfocal, Servo Zoom on the BM Studio Camera. The B4/MFT Corrected adapter d rom MTF serivices is $3K, then you need to add the cost of a B4 ENG zoom and a camera rig to put it all together.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

anna.catalan

PostThu May 16, 2019 8:34 am

Thank you Ian and Denny!

Have you tried any other F.28 lenses that are fully compatible? I have already bought the BM Micro Studio Camera 4K and the BM Studio Camera, so changing one of them for a Ursa Broadcast, it's not really an option (it's not within our budget).

What I'm looking for is a lens that can blur the background, the four lenses that BM recommends for a full compatibility cannot do that. Though our priority is the remote control of the zoom, we wanted to try an ask if someone have tried other lenses with a large aperture.

Cheers!
Anna

Dave Del Vecchio

PostThu May 16, 2019 10:28 pm

The four lenses Blackmagic recommends are the only four native Micro 4/3 lenses with power zoom support (which is needed for remote zoom control). Unfortunately, none of the Micro 4/3 power zoom lenses have a constant f/2.8 aperture.

There are lots of good Micro 4/3 lenses with f/2.8 aperture or better, but none have power zoom support. You might be able to use a remote follow focus mechanism to control a manual zoom lens, but I'm not sure how well this would work.

Other than that, your options are likely to use some kind of lens mount adapter or switch to a different camera as Denny suggested.

Return to Live Production