Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

New to fusion, completely lost, this makes no sense.

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

aglyons

New to fusion, completely lost, this makes no sense.

PostSat May 18, 2019 12:13 am

Is it just me or is Fusion completely screwed up in Beta 16.2?

I have a clip in the payback window, click on the Fusion tab and instead of just that clip in the timeline, the whole project is in there. Both the spline and Keyframe windows are of no use to determine where the media that I want to work with is located.

I then went back to the editor and highlighted the clip I want to do a corner pin with. Right clicked and chose new Fusion Clip. A new fusion clip was created and the timeline showed the new Fusion clip was inserted. Double-clicking that clip in the timeline simply opened it in viewer 1 on the edit page. Clicking the Fusion tab showed exactly the same thing as before, the whole project on the Fusion timeline. Scrubbing the new fusion clip back in the media pool shows JUST the clip content I want to edit but there is no way that I can get to that in Fusion without the whole smash coming along for the ride.

I really want to learn and use Resolve but I am so close to bringing this into AE to get this simple job finished.

I'd be pulling my hair out but I don't have any left.

bentheanimator

Re: New to fusion, completely lost, this makes no sense.

PostSat May 18, 2019 3:55 am

Creating a fusion clip is like doing a PreComp in Ae. Once created, the clip is treated like footage. It has a given length. Inside that PreComp is the piece of footage that you made the PreComp from. It's what defined the length of the PreComp. You drag the media in node up to a viewer. After that you go to town adding nodes.

Once you're in the PreComp you have to add more footage. To do that is where the analogies fall apart.
You need to add a Loader node to bring in additional footage. Honestly, there's too much just to write up like this. Go on YouTube and watch a few tutorials on Fusion to see how the work flow goes. There's Loaders and Merge nodes that are going to frustrate you at first but I promise it gets really cool and blows Ae out of the water once you get in the groove. The only thing that I have to make work better are short cut keys for position, rotation, etc.

Ae is great for slapping things together and reordering which things come first, second, third and so forth. To do the same you need to learn how Fusion works. It's foremost a compositor which means you work on one plate at a time. All your footage has to be the same length. Even text that appears for the first three seconds of a ten second clip has to be ten seconds long. You have to do something like turn down the Blend to zero for the rest of the time. Or freeze the last frame on a piece of footage for the rest of the time and then turn down the Blend to zero. It's super unintuitive and feels sloppy for Ae users.

There is a way to do it with a node called Multi Merge which I posted about earlier this week when somebody asked about managing scenes but to use that you have to install Reactor. Google for Black magic reactor and you should find it quickly.

You can set up Fusion to work like Ae but you have to get some preferences in order first and convert some terminology in your head. Good luck.
Resolve & Fusion Studio 18.6.5
Windows 10
Intel Xeon CPU 2699A @ 2.40GHz | 128GB RAM | 2xRTX3090 | 512NVME System | 8TB NMVE Scratch | 80TB 8Gbps Fiber

MacOS 12.7.2
MacBook Pro 13,3 | 16GB | Radeon 460 4GB | 256GB System | 256GB Scratch

Frank Engel

PostSun May 19, 2019 10:37 am

aglyons wrote:I have a clip in the payback window, click on the Fusion tab and instead of just that clip in the timeline, the whole project is in there.

It sounds like you have the clips list visible. As each clip on the timeline could potentially contain a Fusion composite, this is to allow you to switch between them without switching pages. It is not used in a specific composite, but to switch composites. I suggest clicking the "Clips" button along the top of the window to hide that for now, to avoid confusion.

Both the spline and Keyframe windows are of no use to determine where the media that I want to work with is located.

They are not supposed to. Those are used to manipulate keyframes on attributes of nodes that already exist within the composite.

To add additional media nodes, drag them in from the media pool (can also be toggled using the options across the top of the window).

Check out the "Fusion VFX and Graphics" tutorial on BMD's training page to get you oriented on this: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... e/training

aglyons

PostSun May 19, 2019 1:34 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the responses.

I think I figured out what was going on. I had an adjustment clip over the whole timeline. Fusion, I think, didn't really know how to work with adjustment clips ATM so that's why I could see the whole timeline instead of just the clip I wanted to work on. I think that may be a bug that needs to be fixed.

While I managed to knock out what I needed. It took a couple of do-overs and some fiddling. The only time I could get a good track from the planar tracker was using hybrid point/area and the motion type to the second last option, (something)fine blah blah (I'm not looking at it right now).

So, if you haven't been stung by an adjustment layer in fusion, keep this in mind.

Return to Fusion