Copying camera shake and zoom from another clip

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jason Tackaberry

Copying camera shake and zoom from another clip

PostSat May 18, 2019 3:20 am

I have a static clip and want to introduce realistic camera shaking and zooming based on a different clip. I kinda sorta have this working, but I'm wondering if there's a better way.

If I take the clip with the natural motion and, via the Color page, stabilize it (with the Similarity mode and camera lock enabled), and then copy the track data to the static clip I want to introduce the shake to, this basically works, except that of course the movements on the target clip are inverted. So if the source clip zoomed in, the target clip zooms out.

Makes sense, considering the point of stabilizing is to reverse those motions. But I want to actually copy them as-is.

I thought if I set the clip to reverse speed (Change Clip Speed / Reverse Speed in edit page) then I would track camera movements backwards. This doesn't actually work though, because the tracker ignores the clip reversal (i.e. if you scrub forward in the timeline in the Color page, the stabilization timeline moves in the opposite way).

I could render out the reversed clip and then pull it back in and track that. But I thought there might be a better way. Or perhaps this can only be done with Fusion?

Thanks!
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 | Windows 10 x64 (21H2) | AMD Threadripper 5950X | 64GB | NVIDIA 3080 Ti (516.94)

iddos-l

Re: Copying camera shake and zoom from another clip

PostSat May 18, 2019 5:24 am

Hi
You also have OFX “shake”

Jason Tackaberry

PostSat May 18, 2019 3:48 pm

iddos-l wrote:You also have OFX “shake”

I played with it, and it's pretty naive. I have material with actual human-generated camera movements that I was hoping to clone in a simple way. I almost got there, too. :)
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 | Windows 10 x64 (21H2) | AMD Threadripper 5950X | 64GB | NVIDIA 3080 Ti (516.94)

Jean Claude

PostSat May 18, 2019 4:15 pm

Jason Tackaberry wrote:
iddos-l wrote:You also have OFX “shake”

I played with it, and it's pretty naive. I have material with actual human-generated camera movements that I was hoping to clone in a simple way. I almost got there, too. :)

Hello,

Do a search in the forum:
Copy paste stabilization (tracking) data.
To test. :)
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Jason Tackaberry

PostSat May 18, 2019 4:19 pm

Jean Claude wrote:Do a search in the forum:
Copy paste stabilization (tracking) data.
To test. :)

I've done that (copy/pasting stabilization data), but it wasn't quite what I wanted. Please refer to my original post.

I guess this guy is talking about the same problem. I'm sure Fusion can do it, but I was hoping for a simpler way. Actually probably rendering out the reversed source clip and tracking that will be easier than Fusion. But I was hoping for an easy win. :)

Jean Claude

PostSat May 18, 2019 4:29 pm

And with the old method with the classic stabilizer?
No better results? :)
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Jason Tackaberry

PostSat May 18, 2019 4:50 pm

You know, the classic stabilizer isn't behaving right for me (as in it seems to do nothing). Could be a regression in the beta (which I'm using), or PEBKAC (although I don't think I'm using it wrong). I'll have to dig into that further to see if there's a bug to be reported there.

Meanwhile, I did actually find a solution, which I'll submit here for future Googlers:

Reverse the clip as I described in my OP, and then create a compound clip. Track the compound clip, and when you paste the stabilizer data into the target track, everything is preserved in the proper temporal direction.

Cary Knoop

PostSat May 18, 2019 7:43 pm

Jason Tackaberry wrote:Reverse the clip as I described in my OP, and then create a compound clip. Track the compound clip, and when you paste the stabilizer data into the target track, everything is preserved in the proper temporal direction.

Very cool!

Sam Steti

PostTue May 21, 2019 3:08 pm

Well done but just for the record, what about :

- the old stabilizer "-100" trick ?

or

- your WF but with only the target clip reversed just before pasting track data ?
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Return to DaVinci Resolve