"No Card" Issue BMPCC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

YamanCoolabah

Re: "No Card" Issue BMPCC

PostWed May 22, 2019 1:56 pm

This Sony card works in my BMPCC: 256 GB 95 MB/s read, 90 MB/s write
Tested raw, 30 fps

SD.JPG
SD.JPG (429.48 KiB) Viewed 38844 times

Denny Smith

PostWed May 22, 2019 6:10 pm

Brad, what I said, was the UHS II cards will not work at the rated speeds listed in the card on a UHS I device. Some of the faster UNS II cards may work for lower bit rate applications like recording ProRes 4.2.2 or LT.

As to when SanDisk changed the controller, it was sometime in mid 2018 the new cards started showing up, not working. Card Model/batch No is an indication of the card model, not necessarily a good indicator of a working or non-working card. But, most of the original non working cards were from a couple of specific batches, when first released. If you get a card released in 2017 or before, it should work fine. I got my last SD cards in late 2017, and they work fine in the Micro Cinema camera.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Adam Furrier

PostThu May 23, 2019 5:56 pm

YamanCoolabah wrote:This Sony card works in my BMPCC: 256 GB 95 MB/s read, 90 MB/s write
Tested raw, 30 fps

SD.JPG

I have two of these Sony SD card although the 128GB versions. I have recorded 20-22 minutes of 30fps RAW to both cards. If only if someone could tell me how to check for dropped frames in Resolve 15, I could double confirm on these cards' compatibility.

Brad Hurley

PostThu May 23, 2019 6:26 pm

Adam Furrier wrote: If only if someone could tell me how to check for dropped frames in Resolve 15, I could double confirm on these cards' compatibility.

You should get a dropped frame warning on the camera itself if it's dropping frames -- the Record indicator on the screen changes to an orange exclamation point and stays that way until you stop the recording.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Adam Furrier

PostThu May 23, 2019 6:50 pm

Brad Hurley wrote:You should get a dropped frame warning on the camera itself if it's dropping frames -- the Record indicator on the screen changes to an orange exclamation point and stays that way until you stop the recording.

I know, but I have no time to watch the screen for 42 minutes if it drops a frame or not. I mounted the BMPCC with a Canon 10-18 onto the inside of my windshield with a suction cup mount and recorded the two cards to almost full while driving. I assumed that extended recording with the highest framerate would be the best test.
Now I just need a way to check for dropped frames in post.

Sandeep Gill

PostThu May 23, 2019 6:59 pm

Adam Furrier wrote:
Brad Hurley wrote:You should get a dropped frame warning on the camera itself if it's dropping frames -- the Record indicator on the screen changes to an orange exclamation point and stays that way until you stop the recording.

I know, but I have no time to watch the screen for 42 minutes if it drops a frame or not. I mounted the BMPCC with a Canon 10-18 onto the inside of my windshield with a suction cup mount and recorded the two cards to almost full while driving. I assumed that extended recording with the highest framerate would be the best test.
Now I just need a way to check for dropped frames in post.

Brad makes a good point - you don't need to watch the screen for any prolonged amount of time. Just look at it at the end of your recording. If there's an orange exclamation point there are dropped frames at some point in the recording. If it's the red record indicator, no dropped frames at all.

Timothée

PostThu May 23, 2019 8:06 pm

Hi everyone, french man here so forgive my english. I had the same problem but i found out on a different forum that sony cards could work, even for Raw footage. So i purchased a Sony SD card 128 Go Uhs-I 94 Mo/S - Sf-Ux128. It's reading speed is 94 Mb/s and the writing speed is 70 Mb/s and it seems to work perfectly for every type of codecs. I was able to record 2 minutes of Raw without an issue. Checked on da vinci no drop frames etc... I will tell you more about longer shots but as i mainly wanted to shoot prores HQ, if 2 minutes of raw is possible it will be ok for at least 5 minutes of prores HQ. It costed me only 40 euros on a french site called Fnac.com if you want to check. Have a nice day.
Tim

Adam Furrier

PostFri May 24, 2019 5:50 am

Timothée wrote:Checked on da vinci no drop frames etc...Tim

Tim, how do you check for drop frames in DaVinci?

YamanCoolabah

PostFri May 24, 2019 7:33 am

The Sony Sony SFUZ SD 256 GB 95 MB/s has fallen in price in Germany: only 59,- Euro
See here: europafoto (I cannot post the link).

Sandeep Gill

PostFri May 24, 2019 4:51 pm

I'm starting to get the distinct feeling that people don't read the entirety of a thread before posting... :lol:

Brad Hurley

PostFri May 24, 2019 5:35 pm

Adam Furrier wrote:
Timothée wrote:Checked on da vinci no drop frames etc...Tim

Tim, how do you check for drop frames in DaVinci?

There's a user setting in Preferences > User > UI Settings > Stop playback when a drop frame is detected.

Adam Furrier

PostFri May 24, 2019 5:43 pm

Brad Hurley wrote:
Adam Furrier wrote:how do you check for drop frames in DaVinci?

There's a user setting in Preferences > User > UI Settings > Stop playback when a drop frame is detected.

Thank you Brad!
Last edited by Adam Furrier on Mon May 27, 2019 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rick.lang

PostSat May 25, 2019 3:17 pm

Sandeep Gill wrote:I'm starting to get the distinct feeling that people don't read the entirety of a thread before posting... :lol:

Understandable when there’s over 200 posts, by which time a thread often has a few forks as well. Embarrassing when a thread has a message just a few posts earlier that addresses the issue satisfactorily. I do think we’re all guilty of that once in awhile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

John Paines

PostSat May 25, 2019 5:28 pm

I think it's fair to say BMD support on this issue leaves something to be desired. And what little information was provided here was only partially accurate -- and the errors were never corrected.

At this point, there are a few reports of success with Sony v30 SDs, and unconfirmed reports of success with unspecified Kingston cards. Nothing else is known to work. Anyone who wants to dig through the thread can find working serial numbers for the older Extreme Pro cards, based on user reports.

All this could have been kept up to date with one brief sticky. Hard to see why it wasn't, particularly as the firmwares were never updated to accommodate the new cards.

sambrown

PostSat May 25, 2019 7:58 pm

The newer generation of SanDisk Extreme PROs (170MB/s) are also in the No Card camp. I tested a 128 and 64. My Lexar 633x's work find so I'm sending the SanDisks back and ordering a Lexar 667x to see what happens.

JoeSter

PostSun May 26, 2019 5:22 pm

Hi there
Just in case, Sandisk Extreme Pro 512gB is working perfectly without frame drop, tested 20 min Raw 30fps and Prores HQ 60fps, this card doesn’t have V30 sign on it, cost £139 on eBayUK or £200 on Amazon UK, also UHS2 Extreme Pro Sandisk work fine without issue , tested as above. Hope it will help. Camera Bmmcc. Serial of 512gb - SDSDXPA-512G-G46

Adam Furrier

Re:

PostMon May 27, 2019 2:51 pm

rick.lang wrote:
Sandeep Gill wrote:I'm starting to get the distinct feeling that people don't read the entirety of a thread before posting... :lol:

Understandable when there’s over 200 posts, by which time a thread often has a few forks as well. Embarrassing when a thread has a message just a few posts earlier that addresses the issue satisfactorily. I do think we’re all guilty of that once in awhile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

May I clarify one thing here?
My original question was how to check for dropped frames in Resolve.
Brad asnwered with how I can check for dropped frames in the camera and Gill doubled on that. While I appreciate and welcome any input, my original question wasn't answered so I asked Tim too.
Then Brad replied with a solution to my question which again, I appreciate and I'm thankful for his efforts.

But as far as reading before posting goes, I've read through this thread 3 times before even sinning up here and checking dropped frames in Resolve wasn't covered before.

rick.lang

PostMon May 27, 2019 9:09 pm

My apologies for the cheap shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Timothée

PostTue May 28, 2019 10:21 am

Allright update for the sony 128 gb with 70 mb writing speed.
Unfortunately it's not working at all past 2 min with raw which is normal i guess. But it won't work even with prores HQ, drop frames start to appear rapidly . So dissapointed, i'll try with the sony with 94 writing speed. I hope my camera is not the problem because 70 mb per second should be enough for prores HQ.
Have a nice day !
Tim

Frank Engel

PostTue May 28, 2019 6:31 pm

Timothée wrote:So dissapointed, i'll try with the sony with 94 writing speed. I hope my camera is not the problem because 70 mb per second should be enough for prores HQ.

I don't see any listed with 94 writing speed.

I see 94 read/70 write and I see 95 read/90 write, but in each case these are "up to" speeds not sustained/minimum speeds. I tried one of the 95/90 cards and initial testing I was able to do HQ up to 24fps, at higher frame rates it would drop frames - but I haven't tested it quite enough to satisfy me that it won't drop frames later on in 24fps either; need to test more heavily when time permits.

Both the 94/70 and 95/90 cards have a U3 rating so in theory the sustained write speed should be at least 30 MB/sec, but they don't seem to be promising more than that.

OliClark

PostThu May 30, 2019 4:40 pm

Can I just add my thumbs up to the Sony Super High Speed 95MB/s Read, 90MB/s write cards. I have just got the 64 GB one and I could fill the card (circa 16 minutes) with raw footage with out a dropped frame, again, fill the card (circa 1hour 24) with pro res LT without a dropped frame.

I hope that helps.

nihilistic

PostMon Jun 03, 2019 4:25 pm

sandisk extreme pro
SDSDXXY-256G-GN4IN

No luck. Tried a bunch of random stuff. Still get No Card error.
This is a real card and tests out fast. These are just no longer compatible with bmpcc.
I really have no idea what to do. The camera is not that old and neither sandisk nor blackmagic are addressing this. By not issuing this simple fix, they destroy the value of their used products thus impacting sales of their new stuff. It can be done. Sony did it.

lee4ever

PostMon Jun 03, 2019 5:14 pm

I'm not sure, but does it have something to do with this?

SD memory cards have used a 3.3V signaling interface since the SD standard was introduced in 2000 and through SD Specification 3.0, when 1.8V signaling was added with the UHS-I bus mode, the ultimate removable single-ended interface. UHS-I adopted 1.8V signaling because it is suitable for faster rise/fall time and lower electromagnetic interference. However, UHS memory cards still require 3.3V signaling to initialize the card so hosts need to support 3.3V signaling, too. UHS-II is another option for a low-voltage interface for host devices supporting that specification and offering 1.8V power supply. Therefore, UHS-II is a solution for higher performance applications which require more than UHS-I performance.

https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overv ... index.html

Didier

PostWed Jun 05, 2019 9:29 am

Hi,

I got the same problem with SD Card. It is very hard to find a memory card wich work with BMPCC the original.
I tried many of it from sandisk and Samsung. Sometime the card is recognized some time it's not and when it is recognized you still have loss drop.

At the end I found Sony 128 GB SFG1UZ 95MB/s witch work perfectly without drop in RAW and ProResHQ. It cost about 45€ on Amazon.

Before Order Make sure that it is exactly the same (see picture) with SFG1UZ printed on the label.
Some time the sellers use an old picture on his commercial and at the end you don't get the card you have order. So do not hesitate to contact him before to order.
Attachments
Sony Card.png
Sony Card.png (719 KiB) Viewed 38336 times
Resolve 15, mini panel, Declink 4K, Eizo CG248 4K 24'. BenQ SW271 4K 27'
Work station 16 core Intel i9-7960X CPU (32 logical Pro.), 128 Gids RAM, Nvidia Quadro P5000 multi GPU.

Adam Furrier

PostThu Jun 06, 2019 3:36 pm

Mohammed Tahir wrote:I looked up the model number of the 128GB SD card that I've been using successfully for the last two years and it says the following on the invoice:

SDSDXXG-128G-GN4IN SanDisk 128GB Extreme Pro 95MB/Sec SDXC Card (bought 02/03/2017)

Now, that's exactly the model we're told doesn't work - prefixed with SDSDXXG. The card itself has the following markings: SDXC, I, V30, 3, 10. On the back it has the following: BP1632150824G. I found the box for the card and it says SDSDXXG-128G-GN4IN. The date on the box is 2016.

Thanks for sharing this Mohhamed!
Based on this post of yours I bought 3pcs of used SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB cards with a serial ending 824G and all three are recognized by my BMPCC and working fine!
Only problem is, the guy is not willing to sell the two more cards he has! :D

John Paines

PostThu Jun 06, 2019 5:51 pm

For the record, 128gb cards with the "GN4IN" prefix work, but 64gb cards with the same prefix don't. You can find this information earlier in the thread, if you dig long enough.

Alex Schmied

PostMon Jun 10, 2019 10:20 am

update for my part:

Sony 64UZ (64GB / 95mb/s) is NOT supported in any way! So DON'T buy this card without informing yourself about the lable on the backside!

I have bought 3 of them and just ONE is working (it has tvhn003367943 and CG64G1839 on the backside).
Both cards beginning with TR can just record about 40sek with RAW 30fps and just about 5sek with ProResHQ 30fps.
So I suppose, that the cards with the TV at the beginning will work (but maby not all of them).

So stop mention just the kind of the card. The important thing is the lable on it, that has to do with the date of production.

Anyway, it was a big mistake to buy this cam.

RTESCONDIT

PostTue Jun 11, 2019 12:13 am

Thanks everyone for the updates.

I tested shooting RAW on the BMPCC with the SanDisk Extreme Cards over the last few days (Model no. SDXC UHS-I Card SDSDXPA-512G-G46). No frames dropped over several hours of shooting.

As someone rightfully mentioned in a previous forum or perhaps in this one - for BM not to provide a more extensive, long term solution is a real missed opportunity. Given the amount of time and money it takes to build a proper rig most BM users will go on to purchase the 4K, Cinema Camera, keep as b-roll or similar. People are generally committed to these products for the long-haul. It's a bit in poor taste - but such is life.

Thanks again to everyone that keeps testing - I will get some more tests done soon as well.

With that said, I'm not sure the Sony cards are the most reliable solution for RAW. In any case will keep following everyones progress.

All the best!

totakeke

PostTue Jun 11, 2019 3:56 pm

Didier wrote:Hi,

I got the same problem with SD Card. It is very hard to find a memory card wich work with BMPCC the original.
I tried many of it from sandisk and Samsung. Sometime the card is recognized some time it's not and when it is recognized you still have loss drop.

At the end I found Sony 128 GB SFG1UZ 95MB/s witch work perfectly without drop in RAW and ProResHQ. It cost about 45€ on Amazon.

Before Order Make sure that it is exactly the same (see picture) with SFG1UZ printed on the label.
Some time the sellers use an old picture on his commercial and at the end you don't get the card you have order. So do not hesitate to contact him before to order.

Just bought a used BMPCC last night. Wasn't aware of this issue so obviously hugely disappointed. Just bought the card you mentioned - thanks! Will arrive in about a week so will update here if mine works or not.

John

Didier

PostTue Jun 11, 2019 5:56 pm

John Paines wrote:For the record, 128gb cards with the "GN4IN" prefix work, but 64gb cards with the same prefix don't. You can find this information earlier in the thread, if you dig long enough.

Hi,

I'am Sorry but I just Bought 2 memory Card from Sandisk 128 GB speed upt to 170MB/s
SDXC UHS-1 Card with a Prefix GN4IN and they are not recognized by the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera (the original). The blackmagic reseller get it back but he has no solution.

You're right, was a big mistake to bought blackmagic. Do not forget it!
After many try, I can said that no Sandisk memory works unless you cand found an old one with a Product Prefix number no higher than SDSDXP. The problem is you cannot see this number until you get the SD card with the original box...
Work station 16 core Intel i9-7960X CPU (32 logical Pro.), 128 Gids RAM, Nvidia Quadro P5000 multi GPU.

RTESCONDIT

PostWed Jun 12, 2019 1:29 am

Considering this topic is still relevant.

In regards to testing - has anyone tested the less popular SD card brands for the BMPCC yet? Curious whether they're able to withstand RAW or even being read by the camera. Any feedback would be appreciated. I will continue to test as well.

Here's the list in question:

ADATA Premier Pro SDXC UHS-I U1
Delkin Devices Elite SDHC UHS-I
Delkin Devices Elite SDHC UHS-I
Gobe Magic SDXC UHS-I U3
Lexar SDXC Professional Class 10 600x UHS-I
PNY Elite Performance SDXC Class 10 UHS-I
PNY Pro-Elite Plus 32GB SDHC (P-SDH32U2-30-GE)
Toshiba Exceria Type 2 SDXC UHS-I

Alex Schmied

PostWed Jun 12, 2019 7:17 am

The problem is often NOT the card itself, but the chip in it. So the lable on the backside is the thing you need to know.

But as already mentioned, this lable you can just get if you buy a card. And I spent already much money for that crap cam... very pity, because the cam could be perfect.

vanschr

PostWed Jun 12, 2019 8:09 pm

totakeke wrote:

Just bought a used BMPCC last night. Wasn't aware of this issue so obviously hugely disappointed. Just bought the card you mentioned - thanks! Will arrive in about a week so will update here if mine works or not.

John
Will wait for the update. Sony might just be our saving grace.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

Didier

Re:

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 8:37 am

vanschr wrote:
totakeke wrote:

Just to let you know. I bought two additionnal Sony card (see picture). I got it this morning and they work perfectly. Cards are recognized by the BMPCC. I recorded 30 minutes in Raw without frame drop. I found it on Amazone and it cost 44€ each. So thank to Sony...

John
Will wait for the update. Sony might just be our saving grace.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk
Attachments
Sony_SF_G1UZ.JPG
Sony_SF_G1UZ.JPG (61.76 KiB) Viewed 38001 times

Didier

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 7:25 pm

Hi every body,

Am I the only one thinking that Blackmagic has to do something? I bought two BMPCC in June 2017 and because of this issue they are obsolete. Does Blackmagic legally have the right to behave so? They give us a serial number for memory card, but it’s impossible to found it. The information requirements on the availability of spare parts are specified in Article L. 111-4 of the French Consumer Code. If we cannot obtain a real support from blackmagic it’s may be time to to start a trial?

Let me know if you are interessed.

John Paines

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 7:30 pm

I'am Sorry but I just Bought 2 memory Card from Sandisk 128 GB speed upt to 170MB/s
SDXC UHS-1 Card with a Prefix GN4IN and they are not recognized by the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera (the original).

That information, which I provided some months ago, applied to the 95mb version of the card. As far as I know, **no** 170MB cards work in the BMPCC.

In any event, the Sony 95mb cards appear to work, so perhaps that's the first place you should look.

Brad Hurley

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 7:34 pm

Didier wrote:Am I the only one thinking that Blackmagic has to do something? I bought two BMPCC in June 2017 and because of this issue they are obsolete. Does Blackmagic legally have the right to behave so? They give us a serial number for memory card, but it’s impossible to found it.

I don't think they're required to do anything for the BMPCC, as it's a discontinued product.

They also can't control the fact that media are no longer available, since they can't require SanDisk and other companies to make compatible media. Clearly consumer demand isn't high enough to convince SanDisk to produce compatible cards again for this camera and the related models.

The larger issue is that BMD continues to sell the Micro Cinema Camera and the Video Assist 5", both of which have the same problem in terms of no currently compatible cards. So if you buy one of those today, you're effectively buying a stranded asset: it's not usable. One could argue that BMD should take those products off the market immediately but they haven't. It could be they're aware of an upcoming solution, or it could be that they're planning to replace them with new models...we can only speculate.

Didier

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 7:36 pm

John Paines wrote:

SDXC UHS-1 Card with a Prefix GN4IN and they are not recognized by the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera (the original).

That information, which I provided some months ago, applied to the 95mb version of the card. As far as I know, **no** 170MB cards work in the BMPCC.

In any event, the Sony 95mb cards appear to work, so perhaps that's the first place you should look.

Hi,

Yes, I did and it works. But it is avalaible only in 128GB and for how many time?
Am I the only one thinking that Blackmagic has to do something? I bought two BMPCC in June 2017 and because of this issue they are quite obsolete. Does Blackmagic legally have the right to behave so? They give us a serial number for memory card, but it’s impossible to found it. If we cannot obtain a real support from blackmagic it’s may be time to to start a trial?

John Paines

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 7:40 pm

The EU consumer protection laws are no doubt better than the American ones, but buying a few 128GB Sony cards is cheaper and easier than going to court. And you can use your cameras, meanwhile.

Isn't that sort of a solution, in an imperfect world?

Didier

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 7:51 pm

John Paines wrote:The EU consumer protection laws are no doubt better than the American ones, but buying a few 128GB Sony cards is cheaper and easier than going to court. And you can use your cameras, meanwhile.

Isn't that sort of a solution, in an imperfect world?

You are right but it's a short-term solution. I bought this camera because of Raw format and 128GO allowed me to recorded about 15minutes only. It 'is not enough to record a dance exhibition (my job). Going to the court is probably not the easier way. But we can make some noise and tell to the blackmagic reseller’s what is happening here. They do not have the right to sell an unusable product. I already send a mail to my Blackmagic reseller. We may be can do the same for all of them?

John Paines

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 7:57 pm

You probably don't want to hear this, but shoot Prores, rather than raw (I assume that's what you're doing). No one will ever be able to tell the difference. You could even shoot Prores LT, for event work.

That said, the BMPCC is not the greatest choice for long-form work. You'd typically be using a camera that records h.264.

Brad Hurley

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 7:58 pm

Didier wrote:But we can make some noise and tell to the blackmagic reseller’s what is happening here. They do not have the right to sell an unusable product. I already send a mail to my Blackmagic reseller. We may be can do the same for all of them?

Blackmagic resellers should no longer be selling the original BMPCC, it's no longer being made and would normally be listed as "discontinued." It no longer appears on BMD's website, for example.

I don't think the "spare parts" law is relevant here because SD cards are third-party products that are not sold or manufactured by BMD. BMD has no way to control the manufacture of SD cards and there's no business case for them to subsidize a manufacturer to make compatible cards.

If you bought a film camera and then discovered that nobody was selling film canisters anymore, would you sue the camera manufacturer? That's equivalent to what you're proposing here.

Didier

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 8:17 pm

Brad Hurley wrote:
Didier wrote:But we can make some noise and tell to the blackmagic reseller’s what is happening here. They do not have the right to sell an unusable product. I already send a mail to my Blackmagic reseller. We may be can do the same for all of them?

Blackmagic resellers should no longer be selling the original BMPCC, it's no longer being made and would normally be listed as "discontinued." It no longer appears on BMD's website, for example.

I don't think the "spare parts" law is relevant here because SD cards are third-party products that are not sold or manufactured by BMD. BMD has no way to control the manufacture of SD cards and there's no business case for them to subsidize a manufacturer to make compatible cards.

If you bought a film camera and then discovered that nobody was selling film canisters anymore, would you sue the camera manufacturer? That's equivalent to what you're proposing here.

Sorry it's not. Your example has never exist in all cinema story, may be with an antic?....Today Blackmagic still continue to sell Micro Camera and video assis 5 without telling you that they are unusable because of this issue.
It's could be legal but is that moral? would you like to have manufacturers acting this way without telling them that you’re disagree?

Didier

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 8:26 pm

John Paines wrote:You probably don't want to hear this, but shoot Prores, rather than raw (I assume that's what you're doing). No one will ever be able to tell the difference. You could even shoot Prores LT, for event work.

That said, the BMPCC is not the greatest choice for long-form work. You'd typically be using a camera that records h.264.

Yes I use Prores HQ sometime and it works. But believe me as digital colorgrading I make the difference. No way to use a camera that record H.264 and loose 75% of color grading information...BMPCC was a very good product for small business with high quality. Not telling something today means they can do the same thing tomorrow with the 4K. But i'ts just my opinion.

lee4ever

PostSat Jun 15, 2019 1:24 pm

BMD has no way to control the manufacture of SD cards and there's no business case for them to subsidize a manufacturer to make compatible cards.

BMD has control over FPGA, which is what the BMPCC consists of. And only BMD has the source codes of it. This is where the error is to be found and rectified and not by third-party manufacturers.

Otherwise please release the source codes.
If it is a hardware problem, please name the problem exactly. BMD did not express itself objectively, so you don't know what the real problem is. Referring to the third is not a solution. Everyone knows that Sony had exactly the same problem and was solved by firmware. So this serves as a decisive weight for credibility?

And here again: Sony had EXACTLY the same problem. It's not true that the problem was a different one. Because the same cards that didn't work at Sony didn't work at BMPCC, BMMCC, VideoAssist either.

What is told here is actually not to be taken seriously.

@Didier, you're right about everything you write.

BMD should finally react.

Has anyone tested (the affected SD cards that are not recognized) with another BMPCC firmware?
Maybe the cards work with a bit older firmware, 1.6.x and 1.5.x, which you can't find on the BMD side since some time?

Didier

PostSat Jun 15, 2019 4:17 pm

lee4ever wrote:
BMD has no way to control the manufacture of SD cards and there's no business case for them to subsidize a manufacturer to make compatible cards.

BMD has control over FPGA, which is what the BMPCC consists of. And only BMD has the source codes of it. This is where the error is to be found and rectified and not by third-party manufacturers.

Otherwise please release the source codes.
If it is a hardware problem, please name the problem exactly. BMD did not express itself objectively, so you don't know what the real problem is. Referring to the third is not a solution. Everyone knows that Sony had exactly the same problem and was solved by firmware. So this serves as a decisive weight for credibility?

And here again: Sony had EXACTLY the same problem. It's not true that the problem was a different one. Because the same cards that didn't work at Sony didn't work at BMPCC, BMMCC, VideoAssist either.

@Didier, you're right about everything you write.

BMD should finally react.

Has anyone tested (the affected SD cards that are not recognized) with another BMPCC firmware?
Maybe the cards work with a bit older firmware, 1.6.x and 1.5.x, which you can't find on the BMD side since some time?

Hello, yes I did. One of my BMPCC was in 1.3.xx and I had the same problem. :?

John Paines

PostSat Jun 15, 2019 4:25 pm

lee4ever wrote:

If you think the BMPCC is well-suited to amateur or semi-amateur long-form recording, or was designed for such a purpose, it's obvious you've never actually used it (or any other?) camera.

lee4ever

PostSat Jun 15, 2019 4:31 pm

Didier wrote:Hello, yes I did. One of my BMPCC was in 1.3.xx and I had the same problem. :?

If you do have old firmware (i.e. FW before 1.7), please make all available for download.

If you think the BMPCC is well-suited to amateur or semi-amateur long-form recording, or was designed for such a purpose, it's obvious you've never actually used it (or any other?) camera.

The camera package doesn't say "don't buy, it's only for John Paines". ;) To claim that the Blackmagic Camera is only suitable for short shots is simply nonsense. Sorry that I'm so direct. Apparently things are being invented to distract from the problem with SD cards.

John Paines

PostSat Jun 15, 2019 4:41 pm

Again, it's obvious you have no actual shooting experience. You'll note also it's called a "cinema camera", not a wedding or event camera. A buyer who expects a $999 camera to serve all purposes equally well is likely to be disappointed.

You also realize that a 128GB card will record for over two hours at Prores 4:2:2? Or is that considered a short take?

lee4ever

PostSat Jun 15, 2019 5:19 pm

I use it to film various events that also last longer, yes, everything in RAW. What you think is just not true. And RAW doesn't just mean cinematic, but the freedom to create the look the way you want it to be.
Now you're saying; because the camera includes cinema labeling, you couldn't record other scenes with it? Nowhere on the iPhone is cinema, but cinema for Netflix was recorded with it.

You also realize that a 128GB card will record for over two hours at Prores 4:2:2? Or is that considered a short take?

Nowhere was the talk of two hours continuous. I don't think you do that with any camera, except maybe the Chinese or the Russians in cinema for cinema *.to homepages ;)

There is no REC limit for BMPCC. REC stops when the SD card is full.

All this spread of supposed professionals who claim: "What do you expect, is a cinema camera", is in my opinion so absurd that sometimes I can't hold myself back.

We expect here a solution for the problem with SD cards. No one has called users who try to distract from it. We also don't want any advertisement like "BMPCC was replaced by BMPCC4K, buy the BMPCC4k" Or "For longer recordings BMPCC is not suitable, so a compatible SD card for RAW is unimportant, buy a h264 with limited recording capability..." :)
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography