Atem 2M/E 4K loses media pool on power cycle

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

droza_

Atem 2M/E 4K loses media pool on power cycle

PostWed May 29, 2019 11:24 am

I have an ATEM 2ME 4k installed in a university classroom, used for live streaming. I want to set it up so that it just "always works" for streaming classes, with as little intervention as possible.

So far the only problem I've had is that the media pool gets erased every time the ATEM loses power for any reason. The media pool is used for streaming classes, and we need it to always be exactly the same, or to automatically reload if a power cycle is needed.

Is it possible for the media to be retained after power cycle? If not, is there an easy way to make it so that it automatically reloads with no manual intervention needed?

rogersuski

Re: Atem 2M/E 4K loses media pool on power cycle

PostWed May 29, 2019 8:32 pm

In short, no. Nothing automatic.
Are you using the software control, or hardware panel for switcher control?

You can save a switcher snapshot which will also save your media pool. But that will require an operator to load from a saved file via the software control.

If it absolutely, positively has to stay config'd through a loss of power and can't be restored via the above, you'll need to at least put the unit on a UPS.

Xtreemtec

PostThu May 30, 2019 10:03 am

Only the ATEM TVS HD, HD PRO 4K Pro have a media pool that is retained in flash when powered off.

All other Atems loose the media pool when powered down. And the only way is to reload the snapshot from the Atem software every single time the Atem is booted. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

droza_

PostThu Jun 13, 2019 10:31 am

Thanks for your replies. That is unfortunate that there is apparently no automatic way or permanent memory.

I wonder if I might be able to get around this by using a Hyperdeck Studio Mini as the storage location?

For switcher control, I am using a Skaarhoj C20 controller, which is capable of sending commands to both the ATEM 2M/E 4K and to the Hyperdeck Studio Mini with a single button. By sending commands to both, would it be feasible to use the Studio Mini as a permanent storage for the 2M/E 4K, and not have to worry about power resets on the ATEM Switcher?

Sorry if this is a stupid question - I've never used a Studio Mini together with an ATEM Switcher, but would be willing to seriously consider getting one if it could help me add a permanent memory source to the Switcher.

Ian Morrish

PostThu Jun 13, 2019 7:24 pm

We have a mobile setup and I just use a mini pc that has a startup batch file which waits for the ATEM to respond to a ping command, then uploads images from a folder into the media pool using this utility
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com/atem-c ... -utilites/
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

droza_

PostThu Jun 13, 2019 7:47 pm

That's a good idea, Ian, and a neat utility! I'll have to give that a try. Thanks.

Thanks as well for your videos on YouTube! Some of them have been quite helpful for me in the past for figuring out some of the more advanced techniques with the ATEM switchers.

Ian Morrish

PostSat Jun 15, 2019 4:21 am

Thanks,
Here are the details on setting it up to auto populate on power on.
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com/2019/06/15/upload-media-stills-to-atem-on-start-up/
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

Daniel Binder

PostThu Jun 20, 2019 4:26 pm

If you're in the Mac realm, maybe this could be useful for you:

https://github.com/learninglabdtu/OpenP ... %20Updater

Cheers,

Daniel

droza_

PostFri Jun 28, 2019 8:47 am

Thanks so much for these replies and for sharing the scripts. I'm going to use this as a solution, installing the script and on the local PC used in the classroom. Simple and elegant - just restart the PC, and it reloads if there is a problem. Appreciate the help!

Return to Live Production