Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Animating layered psd files

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Scot Perry

Animating layered psd files

PostSun Jun 02, 2019 12:33 pm

New to Fusion but making some headway. I can't figure out how to animate layered psd files. I can import psd files that works well. What I can't figure out and manual does not help is how to change the rotation center on each layer independently so I can create simple animations. In After Effects it's pretty straight forward. I've tried everything I could find with no luck in Fusion any attempt to move rotation point affects relative placement of layer with the other layers. Is it possible what am I missing?

Sander de Regt

Re: Animating layered psd files

PostSun Jun 02, 2019 12:46 pm

You are able to import to seperate layers?
If that's the case you need to add one intermediate step compared to AE: the merges in Fusion don't have a way to set a custom rotation center. You need to do this in a transform tool. The rotation center is called the pivot. Set it before changing any other parameter, since it also influences the position from which you scale as well. Then you need to do your rotations/scaling/positioning inside the transform tool.
I'd use the merge's center only for putting everything together as basic as possible.
I hope this helps.

If not, can you share one of your files or a screenshot? In that case I might be able to show you in a quick screencast or something.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Scot Perry

PostSun Jun 02, 2019 1:22 pm

Thanks I just figured it out myself that I needed a transform. Now on to how to loop that transform :?

Sander de Regt

PostSun Jun 02, 2019 1:23 pm

Open the spline editor, select the keyframes of your animation and select the loop option you prefer from the right-click menu.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Scot Perry

PostSun Jun 02, 2019 6:25 pm

Thank you great help that opens some insight to other functions too.

mschmalenbach

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 9:21 pm

Hi Folks

I’m not able to import psd files without DR crashing.

I’m using DR 16 beta 4.

Any tips on how to organise the psd file would be appreciated. It’s exported from Adobe Illustrator.

Cheers

Martin

Return to Fusion