Syncing 2 HyperDeck Studio Pros

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

ivan737

Syncing 2 HyperDeck Studio Pros

PostMon Apr 29, 2013 7:26 am

I'd like to sync two HyperDeck Studio Pros to run two separate video clips with SMPTE timecode. Is it possible?

If so, what kind of controller is available to set in points with synced playback capability?

ivan737

Re: Syncing 2 HyperDeck Studio Pros

PostTue Apr 30, 2013 6:27 am

Could I use a JLCooper Slo-mo controller to set both in-points, then use the controller to hit play, and roll both HyperDecks?

JamesParker

PostTue Apr 30, 2013 4:26 pm

I know that works with the AJA ki Pros because we use it for that, however, I"m not sure that it will work with they Hyper deck.
J.Parker
Creative Director

Robert Betzner

PostWed May 01, 2013 11:14 am

It won't work.

We own 6 Hyperdecks and are totally disappointed because the Hyperdeck does not have ANY timecode ability. Every clip starts at 00:00:00:00 so it isn't possible to use it with any kind of controller. The fact that even the ATEM switchers do not have any timcode ablilty renders the hyperdeck useless unless you are only simply recording a show.

BMD needs to adress this lack of timcode functions soon because any other competitor has that. The hyperdeck simply cannot be used in a professional enviroment, where timcode functions are essential.

If it would be possible to output TCG to all Aux-SDI outputs of the ATEM switchers, this would eb a beginning. But for now you have the problem, that you can't sync the hyperdecks unless you have the ability to insert the timcode into the SDI stream.

Cheers pro.

ivan737

PostSat May 11, 2013 4:57 am

But doesn't the LCD display on the Hyperdeck Pro show time code?

James Hope

PostSun May 12, 2013 10:41 pm

ivan737 wrote:But doesn't the LCD display on the Hyperdeck Pro show time code?

No, just run time from 00:00:00:00
Windows 11 Pro, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB RAM, NVidia RTX 2070 8GB.

Bo Skelmose

PostMon May 13, 2013 8:37 am

Maybe I don't understand - but is it not possible to apply an external timecode input to the recorders and make it work?

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostMon May 13, 2013 11:04 am

or 9pin ?
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

Robert Betzner

PostMon May 13, 2013 4:29 pm

If you feed in the timecode embedded in the HD-SDI signal I think it could work, but I haven't tried it because I have no gear that can generate timecode and embed it into an HD-SDI stream.
The hyperdecks don't have any other option to get timecode into them. That is why we are all begging for timecode output on all outputs (and all Aux outputs) of the ATEM line.

The hyperdecks don't even have the option to generate a specific timecode. There is no menu setting where you can edit the timecode. So there is no TCG. Every new clip starts at 00:00:00:00. If they would change this to an incremental timecode that would be a workaround - but even that is currently not possible.

Cheers

pro.

rogersuski

PostMon May 13, 2013 4:34 pm

You could try the Adrienne microBOX that allows you to insert LTC into the 9pin
http://www.adrielec.com/aec-ubox.htm

Works great when trying to get common code into FCP "capture now"

Not sure how it would work with the Hyperdeck, but worth a call/inquiry.

Quinn Quality

PostMon May 13, 2013 6:00 pm

The Hyperdeck Pro and Hyperdeck both react to a embedded TC in the HD/SDi output from my Sony camera's.
Read the instructions of the Hyperdeck and make the settings as instructed, as soon as you start recording, the TC of the Camera appears in the LCD window.
To have al Hyperdecks on the same TC (i have 6 of them) i simply reset the TC on all my camera's with a TC reset button or by connecting the camera's to each other and sync them.
Works great for me.
Qmedia.nu
Lijnbaan 16
1969 NE Heemskerk
The Netherlands

Bo Skelmose

PostMon May 13, 2013 10:31 pm

The Hyperdeck Studio Pro has an XLR for external input of timecode. Putting the same timecode to both recorders should do the work.

Tom_Bassford

PostMon May 13, 2013 10:47 pm

Timecode input doesn't help synchronised playback

You need an RS422 controller with multiple deck control, I've tested playback sync using a Ash Vale SM2 which works reasonably well for controlling 2 decks. My tests were using one pro and one standard hyperdeck. I found that playback was reasonably consistent, but jog performance differed considerably between the decks. I suspect that matching decks would improve this but it may not make it perfect.

If your rendering files for playback be aware that you can embed timecode into the file which the hyperdeck will read. This is very handy for addressing different clips, I've used the hour digit to be the clip ID so clip one starts at 00:00:00:00 clip two starts at 01:00:00:00 and so on. this allows for easy cueing from the controller. There are various utilities which can rewrite the timecode track without recompressing the video so you can make reasonably quick changes to clip addresses.

You can also use Just Macros to send RS422 to the hyperdecks.

hope this helps
cheers
tom
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

pseudotd

PostTue May 14, 2013 8:29 am

I have a similar situation to the original poster so I'd like to ask a few questions if possible:

If both Hyperdeck Pros recorded and stored only one long video clip per recording session (say one recording a static head-to-toe and the other a mix of imag shots from the mixer) using the basic internal timing. And IF I found a way to start record on both at exactly the same time, would I be able to sync playback manually by using that timing? It seems the Hyperdeck as a jog knob/wheel and a preview screen on the front panel. Would I be able to jog over to a certain point (say 00:00:05:04 on both decks) hit play on both deck and get decent - granted not per frame perfect - sync'd playback?

@Tom_Bassford: I'm interested in your software(?) solution for embedding/rewriting timecode to the recorded hyper deck files. We're using Mac's with Adobe Premiere, could you point me to some timecode utilities?

Is it true? NO sdi (video in) plus xlr (audio) recording? If so it's a deal breaker for me. : (

thanks!

Tom_Bassford

PostTue May 14, 2013 8:44 am

HDSP now supports analog audio and SDI video (on a very basic level)

For synchronised recording you need to use an external timecode generator, feed the timecode into both your HDSPs, now when you record both decks will have matched timecode and your recordings will be in sync.

Hitting the play button on both decks at the "same" time isn't very accurate - it is much better to use an external VTR controller. You can find an old deck controller for peanuts, eBay always has a selection of suitable devices. The protocol has remained the same for decades so even really old controllers from the early 90s work with the hyperdecks.

http://www.videotoolshed.com/?page=products&pID=42 is able to batch process timecode changes.

cheers
tom
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

pseudotd

PostThu May 16, 2013 8:02 am

Thanks Tom (and all other posters), reading this was SUPER helpful!

Just a few more questions...

1. This may be obvious but the external VTR controller would allow me to not only start playback simultaneously but I could also use it to start Record simultaneously on both Hyperdecks right?

2. When you say "on a very basic level" could you elaborate? We haven't bought our Hyperdecks yet but we're very close if the last few nagging concerns can be reasonably resolved.

Thank you so much for any insight you have!

Return to Live Production