Fairlight TC for External Audio App Sync

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jacob Fenn

PostSat Jun 01, 2019 11:06 pm

I was very interested to see this on release notes of R16B3
"
• Support for a timecode generator output in Fairlight page for driving external audio applications
"

Could anyone provide any specifics on this? I've been wanting Midi Timecode I/O support for syncing Resolve's timeline with Logic and vice versa but I don't dare hope that's what this means. I suspected the "Generator" for LTC timecode in Fairlight was perhaps now active, but it still seems to do nothing or I'm using it incorrectly. Either are equally likely.

Does anyone have an idea what this new feature refers to? Real MTC in/out support via IAC driver would be truly stupendous for syncing with external DAWs.
Written by an extremely average person.

Reynaud Venter

Re: Fairlight TC for External Audio App Sync

PostThu Jun 06, 2019 1:09 pm

Have a look at beta 4.

Fairlight menu > Remote Control Settings

Jacob Fenn

PostThu Jun 06, 2019 6:13 pm

Reynaud Venter wrote:Have a look at beta 4.

Thanks for pointing that out. I only see a SMPTE timecode output toggle there. Have you figured out how to successfully utilize this?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 06, 2019 6:57 pm

This is only available with the Fairlight Audio Accelerator Card and Audio I/O chassis combo.

Edit: Fixed in 16b4.
Last edited by Dwaine Maggart on Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Jacob Fenn

PostThu Jun 06, 2019 6:59 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:This is only available with the Fairlight Audio Accelerator Card and Audio I/O chassis combo.

Thanks for chiming in Dwaine! So no software-only IAC timeline sync between apps with Resolve. This gives us a feature request :)

Glenn Venghaus

PostThu Jun 06, 2019 8:30 pm

Jacob Fenn wrote:
Reynaud Venter wrote:Have a look at beta 4.

Thanks for pointing that out. I only see a SMPTE timecode output toggle there. Have you figured out how to successfully utilize this?

Route a signal generator (set to smpte) to any free output or track input (enable direct monitoring if track). Then switch on as Reynaud mentioned and press play and voila.
I routed it to a free hardware output and back to a free hardware input and into Reaper. Nice LTC sync. !! After an intial startup delay its in full sync wirh drift compensation (In Reaper)

Hope Dwaine does not disable it again if you dont have an accelerator card as its working fine without.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 06, 2019 9:46 pm

Perhaps this is changed in b4... I last checked with b3.
Dwaine Maggart

Jack Swart

PostThu Jun 06, 2019 9:55 pm

TC out from the Fairlight page works in V16B4
DR Studio 18.6.3 b19, OS 13.2.1
2023 Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 20 core CPU, 48 core GPU, 128 GB ram
BM 3G ultra studio, 12TB SSDs in raid 0, 16TB HDD backup, 56TB archive server.
Tangent Elements panel, TV logic XVW-245W

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 06, 2019 10:31 pm

Yes, checking the previous dev thread about this, it appears that it was planned to be addressed in 16b4.

I'm glad it's now available. Sorry for the stale info above.
Dwaine Maggart

Jacob Fenn

PostThu Jun 06, 2019 10:43 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Yes, checking the previous dev thread about this, it appears that it was planned to be addressed in 16b4.

I'm glad it's now available. Sorry for the stale info above.

No worries; we're all just glad it's there as well. Just a quick clarification then on three areas timecode playout is available:

1. Project Settings: General Options>Color>Embed Timecode in audio output
2. Project Settings: Capture and Playback>Playout>Output LTC
3. Fairlight: Remote Control: SMPTE Timecode toggle

I'm assuming the first two are intended to play out channel 16 of the SDI stream while #3 is more configurable via the patch panel and the "Timecode" system generator? Other than that the functionality is similar?

Thanks again.

chrisc0

PostSat Nov 16, 2019 7:44 pm

It would be great to have support for multiple audio outs on RME HDSPe AIO cards so I could make use of this feature...

Any chance of this happening in the future with ASIO Driver support?

Paul Draper

PostTue Mar 10, 2020 2:13 am

Glenn Venghaus wrote:
Jacob Fenn wrote:
Route a signal generator (set to smpte) to any free output or track input (enable direct monitoring if track). Then switch on as Reynaud mentioned and press play and voila.
I routed it to a free hardware output and back to a free hardware input and into Reaper. Nice LTC sync. !! After an intial startup delay its in full sync wirh drift compensation (In Reaper)
LTC all still seems a bit dodgy ... and where exactly is this "Route a signal generator (set to smpte)"? The only item that comes close to this is Resolve's 'signal generator' (under Fairlight /test tone settings), but that does not offer SMPTE.

Otherwise, I eventually effected a kludge by using Fairlight /Remote Control Settings & enabling SMPTE. However, I had no way of monitoring if the Patch Input/Output routing was working or not because the timecode does not show up anywhere in the metering panel, or anywhere in the Fairlight page.

Is pure peck and hunt to see if the timecode is getting to where you want it to be.
MacPro 7,1 16 core, 192GB, MacOS 14.4.1, Vega II Duo. Antelope Pure 2 & Orion 32+, UA Apollo x8. RAID-4 Thunderbay 6, RAID-0 Sonnet M.2 4x4. MiniMon 4k, Dell U3415W & BenQ SW2700PT. Nuendo, Wavelab, Resolve Studio 18.6.6.

freshman

PostMon Feb 01, 2021 12:19 am

I have timecode output working on the FAIRLIGHT page, but it does not continue to output when I am on the EDIT page.

Is this intended behavior?

-- Thank you!

(Apologies if this is answered somewhere else...)

Reynaud Venter

PostMon Feb 01, 2021 6:48 am

freshman wrote:I have timecode output working on the FAIRLIGHT page, but it does not continue to output when I am on the EDIT page.
The LTC output via Remote Control Settings is only available on the Fairlight Timeline.

On the Edit page - if you have a Blackmagic IO card - enable:
Project Settings - General Options - Color - Embed timecode in audio output

LTC timecode is on channel 2 of the analogue output and embedded in channel 16 of the SDI output.

Return to DaVinci Resolve