Production Camera and Studio 4K for Live IMAG

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

brianbruzzi

Production Camera and Studio 4K for Live IMAG

PostMon May 13, 2013 2:16 pm

There's not much information, actually, none yet... On using the 4K system for Live IMAG. The frame sync is nice eliminating gen-lock needs, but i'm most worried about the frame delay of the large sensor. I'd love to go all 4K for a live production, but when you put a 6 foot person on a 16 foot screen... the delay is magnified. Can anyone shed some light on this? Blackmagic guys? I'd love to pre-order and have the system designed before hand. Thanks!

Benjamin Higginbotham

Re: Production Camera and Studio 4K for Live IMAG

PostTue May 14, 2013 5:23 am

A lot of variables here. Assuming the frame sync acts the same as it does on the other switchers, then a non-genlocked source will be 1 frame delayed or ~41ms at 24fps. Your multiviewer will have an additional 1 frame of delay so that will show video ~82ms delayed. I don't believe the ATEM 4K has a DVE, so you won't have to deal with the digital effects delay, but that would add an additional 1 frame delay for a high total of ~123ms.

Where you're really going to run in to issues is your projector. Assuming your source it 4K and your projector is only 1080p, then you'll need to use the scaler in the projector itself. That will likely take quite a few frames if it isn't a high end projector. Some can be 6+ frames or ~250ms... That combined with the delay of the ATEM will be noticeable.

I may be missing something, but I'm not sure why a large sensor would add more or less delay. You still have the same number of lines that need to be scanned at 1/24th of a second. I guess if there is a buffer between the sensor and the SDI output that could add delay. But that wouldn't have that much to do with the size of the sensor itself. I could be mistaken though.

Thanks,

Benjamin
Benjamin Higginbotham
TMRO - Making Space Commonplace

JamesParker

Re: Production Camera and Studio 4K for Live IMAG

PostTue May 14, 2013 2:34 pm

I spoke with support yesterday.

The camera is the same as the cinema camera with obviously a bigger sensor. It's built for film and places a great amount of resources on the High Dynamic Range. I would not consider the 4k camera for IMAG. I believe the camera and switcher were to be built for on set shooting. Not something to be done for IMAG.

His comments were.... " we know it's something that people could be using it for" Just because you could be using it, doesn't meant it's going to look good for that purpose.

Don't believe the artwork you see on their website. This camera was built for Film.

We have the 2k camera and would never consider using it with our ATEM.
J.Parker
Creative Director

Return to Live Production