Return of Media Offline Bug

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Tony Hailstone

Return of Media Offline Bug

PostMon Jun 10, 2019 11:37 am

Testing out Resolve 16 Studio Beta 4 and experiencing the random "Media Offline" bug, despite the media being present and playing back in DaVinci Resolve.

The issue (in this circumstance) is affecting spanning .MOV clips recorded in 1080p/50 H264 with Linear PCM. The project has only just been started so no effects are to blame. I'm also not using optimised media, just the footage direct on timeline. My timeline settings are 1080p/25 at 8-bit.

So far, the problem only seems to be the MOV files, not the MP4 files within same project (which are encoded 1080p mix 50/25p 8-bit, with AAC codec).

What is happening is that the first 5 frames (approx) of each clip will flash up "Media Offline" but will play normally straight after that. Using "Deliver" to test the dodgy parts, the render will unfortunately contain the "Media Offline" card so this is a major-ish problem if I don't spot it flash up then render out the film for the client (if it was just an annoyance during editing I could cope).

The temporary fix I have found is to drag and drop the clips back from the bin onto the timeline, overwriting the existing track. No need to re-import.

I'm using latest Creators Driver Nvidia on a GTX 1070 on Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit build 17134.

Any ideas folks?
System: 16 core (24 thread) Intel i9 13900K, 64GB Ram DDR5 3200, M.2 NVME System Drive, M2. NVME Project Drive, RTX 4090

Tom Watson

Re: Return of Media Offline Bug

PostMon Jun 10, 2019 2:25 pm

Whenever I experience this type of problem, I find the drive that is storing the media cache and optimized media files is full. Check the free space on your hard drive, and if full you will need to delete the cache and optimized media in projects you are finished with to free up space.
Resolve Studio 16, Windows 10 Pro, i9 9940X, MSI X299 Carbon MB, EVGA RTX 2080, 128GB (4x16)Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200, Decklink mini 4K GH5 camera, S1H camera

Tony Hailstone

PostMon Jun 10, 2019 2:46 pm

Thanks I took a quick look and there is still over 70GB of free space so unfortunately not a solution for me.
System: 16 core (24 thread) Intel i9 13900K, 64GB Ram DDR5 3200, M.2 NVME System Drive, M2. NVME Project Drive, RTX 4090

Gerron

PostThu Oct 17, 2019 8:47 pm

I`ve suffered from the appearance of one or two media offline frames in the rendered file (h.264 QT or MP4 and other master codecs), basicaly when I try to render a long timeline (94`) - Resolve 16.0 (free version) - but this used to happen with older Resolve versions and with my older computer system.
The editing files are mostly MTS files (from Panasonic GH2). Never had this problem with short timelines.
The point is that the media offline frames show up RANDOMLY along the rendered video file, and that has occured with a frequency of approximately 90% of my delivering attempts!
I`ve tried everything I could to find a solution, including relinking clips in media pool, deleting my render cache for the project before final render, but nothing has worked.
I I've been researching on the Internet and found out that a lot of people have suffered with the same issue. Resolve`s designers crew has nothing to say about this very serious problem?

Rohit Singhal

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 18, 2019 2:20 am

Hi Ron,

Can you please try this on Resolve 16.1 release today and see if you still run into this issue? If you do, can you please provide us all the info we need to reproduce this issue locally?

More details here - viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190
Rohit Singhal
DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Gerron

PostFri Oct 18, 2019 3:23 pm

Thank you Rohit
I`ve just tried render a 88`timeline twice on Resolve 16.1 release.
It failed both with "stop render when a frame or clip cannot be processed" active, failing with different clips.
So with this Resolve 16.1 behavior, I can`t make a final product of my feature film, other than with a very big and random luck.
Ron
My system INFO link:
https://send.firefox.com/download/4b5a2 ... UywNA-cY_Q
Attachments
media offline DR 16.1 stop render.jpg
media offline DR 16.1 stop render.jpg (400.25 KiB) Viewed 23154 times

Gerron

PostSat Oct 19, 2019 5:31 pm

Hi Rohit
As I wrote, It failed all three delivering attempts with "stop render when a frame or clip cannot be processed" active, failing to process different clips (that were apparently / visually ok along the timeline).
But that seemed very weird to me.
So I tried to deliver / render the same 88`timeline twice with "stop render when a frame or clip cannot be processed" NOT active, and... No frame / media offline problem.
Contradictory, regarding the dubious eficiency of the Resolve`s clip processing, but...
So I would like to know if you / Resolve development crew have worked specifically on the MEDIA OFFLINE issue when building Resolve 16.1.
Thanks
Ron

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 22, 2019 7:00 am

Ron,

These logs are from 25 September. Their contents don't correlate to the issue you're facing either, so I wanna make sure you linked the correct log archive.

If you face render failures with "Stop renders when a frame or clip cannot be processed", it points to an underlying issue - this may be offline media, a mismatch (e.g. when the clip on disk has been replaced with slightly differing lengths or timecodes) or an issue in processing.

Without knowing the complexity of the project (footage/effects) and hardware bottlenecks, I can suggest a couple of options to help narrow down the root of the issue:

a. please ensure that there are no offline media in the media pool and on your timelines. Rendering In/Out sections of a timeline might help isolate a problematic section.

b. to rule out processing bottlenecks, please try a lower render speed setting (under the File tab in Render settings)

Regards
Shrinivas

Gerron

PostTue Oct 22, 2019 1:14 pm

Shrinivas
The informed logs from my system keep updated / correct.
This is a 88`narrative feature film (rare and simple effects / no fusion) timeline, the clips / frames regarded as media offline in fact were not offline as long as I observed them before exporting.
The editing files are mostly (aprox 85%) MTS files (AVCHD from Panasonic Lumix GH2), and those clips (frames from) have always been the ones "chosen" by Resolve 16.0 as media offline.
I exported (DR 16.0) once with a 75% speed setting, and had the frame offline (media offline) issue.
As I wrote, it seems to me - a complete technology ignorant - a Resolve processing bug, maybe with this codec MTS files / AVCHD, as described in my latest post, based in my Resolve 16.1 experience.
Thanks
Ron

Gerron

PostWed Oct 23, 2019 9:16 pm

Just updating my last post: I had a media (frame) offline showing up on an exporting of the feature film (88`) I just made as a test. Unfortunately the bug is alive.
Ron

Rattlesnake

PostTue Nov 05, 2019 9:42 am

I had the same issue with media offline in my media storage, edit, delivery etc.... It was a very horrible experience...What I eventually realized was that I just recently changed the source folder for all my images and videos from Drive C: to Drive D:...I did this because I was running out of space on C:, but still had 1 Terabyte in Drive D:...I figured out that by right-clicking the timeline, image, or video that showed the media offline error, and then clicked on Change Source Folder from C:\Videos to D:\Videos was the answer to my problem. I had to do this for each media offline issue. A little time consuming but problem solved.

Cluster

PostFri Dec 27, 2019 9:15 pm

Solution:
  • Close DaVinci Resolve
  • Delete the whole vol0 folder
  • Reopen DaVinci Resolve
  • Render your project again

timberthrax

PostFri Feb 07, 2020 2:31 am

I am running into this issue as well. Not sure what vol0 is or where to find it, but I tried clearing my cache folder without luck.

I suspect it has something to do with mp4 compression and keyframes. I only have a vague understanding of how all that works but it seems like it will show media offline always for a certain number of frames, so I think it is running into another keyframe so it can calculate the subsequent frames. With this error, it is not reading from the previous keyframe maybe???

rhinoboy82

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 6:19 pm

I just had this happen to me for the first time today. Similar to that described by some others: A simple project shows fine when scrubbing in the Edit tab, but on the delivery tab (and in the final render), I get the Media Offline screen. I tried re-linking and replacing the clip, but nothing changed.

This was a green screen clip and when I went to the Fusion tab (I'm using a DeltaKeyer node there), the background clip was the one that was offline. I tried re-linking and replacing that clip in the Media Pool, but it was still showing red and offline. I had to drag the clip back into the node area, attach it to the Merge node in place of the original node and that immediately fixed the issue. Then I deleted the original, still-offline background MediaIn element.

It's not much of a "fix" because each clip had to be addressed separately. Fortunately I only had five to do for this project.

VPGTube

PostSun Mar 15, 2020 2:16 pm

I've ran into the exact same issue Today as "rhinoboy82" described. It happens to almost ALL of the Fusion Clips in the Timeline.

This is not acceptable and Resolve even keeps getting more and more unstable since the last releases of 16.X.X. I'm not even brave enough to update to 16.2, since I just fear that I'll loose large parts of my projects. It's not possible to just re-drag all those media source files back in place in Fusion, this alone would take days ow work for all my wip projects...

Also there seems to be a Audio Bug since many iterations where the audio just starts from the beginning when the Projects last audio file hits the 24 Hour mark...

I love the All-in-One solution which Resolve provides, but if this is getting worse and worse, I have no choice but to switch back to other software vendors... sorry...

Reginald56

PostMon Aug 31, 2020 9:53 pm

Anyone have a solution for this issue? I'm about to replace all these clips on my timeline and not looking forward to it.

tlegvold

PostTue Sep 01, 2020 12:12 am

I ran into something similar this weekend, not sure if it's identical.

I had a few clips that I needed to edit before importing into the main timeline, so I removed a section in the middle of both, then exported them, and re-imported to a new bin. Dragged those into my main timeline and continued as normal.

What I noticed when delivering (and honestly when editing, but didn't realize it would be an issue) was that the last 5 frames of the re-imported clips (which Resolve had just generated and exported) showed "Media offline". Just the end of that clip. The Media Pool viewer did not show that, the clip appeaered normal there.

Delivery failed due to that. I went back and simply trimmed back the end point of that clip until it was before the Media offline message and everything worked normally. Maybe Resolve added a few frames at the end of the export that confused the system somehow? Very weird.
Desktop: 2019 Mac Pro 16 Core CPU 192GB RAM | AMD Radeon W5700X 16GB | OS X Monterey 12.7
Fairlight Audio Accelerator CC-2 | Audio Interface SX-36 | Audio Editor (FAE) | Studio Console
Mobile: 2023 16" M3 Max MacBook Pro 64GB RAM | OS X Sonoma 14.3

Boardpig

PostWed Sep 02, 2020 12:46 pm

Had this issue this evening.

Strange thing is, it could see the clips on import, went into color tab, added a LUT, went to the next clip.. it was "media offline".
Went back to original clip, also media offline. Now both clips are offline whether I re import them or not.

6k 60fps, h.264 clips.

Alex.

Chip.Murphy

PostFri Sep 18, 2020 4:27 am

I have same thing. Linux 16.2.1 and 16.2.7 with NAS connected via SMB3. Renders are fine, nothing in logs, but the failed to decode video popup (same as Gerron's) happens when you try and re-export the render. Frame is dead and shows media offline if the clip is imported into Resolve. Timecode shows 0:00:00:00 in other video players and you either get a duplicated frame or weird jump.

It doesn't matter if you throttle the renders down to 100 fps, or let them natively run at 350, you'll sometimes render bad media. Worst part is, the original, corrupt render produces no flag in the logs.

lomhow1234

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 7:59 pm

I've just encountered the alleged media offline bug as well. It seems really inconsistent.
I haven't rendered any of it yet, I'm still editing. It will appear on tracks that I've cut but only for a frame or two. For context the only thing I've done is add the Ultra Keyer in Fusion to all the clips because green screen.

Otherwise I haven't done anything weird or quirky, except failing to convince davinci that it should send audio to my bluetooth headphones. Bluetooth was working before but it doesn't want to now. I think it's unrelated to the problem.
I will say I've noticed there's this weird dotted yellow line between clips that have it and those that do not. It's not consistent either though. Pic related:

I might be able to get away with clipping the frames around it because everyone's wearing a mask in these videos. I'll post again later if any of the advice in the thread works.

lomhow1234

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 8:27 pm

Oh man lads I found a way to get rid of it

Select the clip
CTRL+X
CTRL+V

By the way make sure you don't paste over another clip (I did by accident lol)
This isn't a joke, it actually worked for me on multiple clips with the problem

Sometimes nonsensical problems require simple solutions
Let me know if it works for you guys, I'm curious

Return to DaVinci Resolve