USB-C to Thunderbolt on UltraStudio Mini Monitor

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Mike Watson

USB-C to Thunderbolt on UltraStudio Mini Monitor

PostSun Jan 07, 2018 5:20 am

Hi,

I'm just getting my new iMac set up. It seems that the powers-that-be at Apple have seen fit to shuffle ports again. I no longer have mini-displayport sized Thunderbolt ports, I now have USB C sized Thunderbolt ports.

A quick web search doesn't reveal a lot of promise for my old Thunderbolt US Mini Monitor using an adapter.

Is there an adapter that will make my Mini Monitor work again?

Richard Augert

Re: USB-C to Thunderbolt on UltraStudio Mini Monitor

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 5:28 pm

I use a Startech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 convertor with the BM Mini Recorder. I also use the same convertor with a Sonnet Thunderbolt II PCIe chassis with a Quad2 and Duo 2 card installed. Works good on all those devices.

Xtreemtec

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 1:44 pm

The official Apple USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter will just work fine!
I have seen people stuggeling with other adapters that were cheaper and had issues.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

drasw1

PostSat Apr 28, 2018 10:00 am

I just set up my new iMac which is using the Apple Thunderbolt 3 USB C to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter and it has not recognized my Canon using the BM UltraStudio Mini Recorder. Any other suggestions?

drasw1

PostMon Apr 30, 2018 4:38 pm

I ordered the Startech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 convertor so hopefully this is good advice.

Thanks

Steve McDonald

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 3:29 pm

I have a desktop PC (windows 10, intel i7, nvidia gtx 1080 card) and the PC has a seperate USB-C port on it. Is there a way to use USB-C port to drive a 4K external display for davinci resolve. Looking for any ideas that don't break the bank.

I have a 4K external 10bit calibrated monitor with an HDMI and full-size displayport on it, that could receive a signal. I also have a Atomos Ninja inferno I could send a signal to. I just cannot figure out a way to get teh signal out to full screen for color grading, and am just looking for a solution that could keep me from spending another $1k.

Inside the computer, there is a ePCI x1 card with the USB-C port and two USB 3 ports - so while I could swap that out for something else, it would have to be a x1 sized ePCI card only. I do not have any remaining expansion ports in the PC.

Does anyone know of a way to pull this off? Could I use a USB-C to HDMI cable and send out from resolve that way? Or is there a USB-C 4K monitor device that can output HDMI 2 for 4k for less than a grand that Resolve will respect? Or can I go USB-C adapted to thunderbolt 2 to an HDMI monitor adapter into the 4K monitor (sadly limiting me to fullHD and not Ultra 4k)?

Nigel Smith

PostTue Jun 19, 2018 2:48 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:The official Apple USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter will just work fine!
I have seen people stuggeling with other adapters that were cheaper and had issues.

I just bought the Apple adapter on the basis of this thread, and the iMac is not seeing the BMD mini-monitor,
on Mac OS 10.13.3 and using desktop video 10.9.11 - the latest version approved by Avid for MC and Pro Tools.

SOLVED:
the BMD Kext had been blocked by Mac OS. Uninstalling and then re-installing the drivers gave no error message, but checking the system preferences:security and privacy pane, I could see that installation had been blocked and had to manually override the OS to install it anyway.
All working fine now - posting this in case it helps others.
Nigel

timoda

PostThu Jun 13, 2019 7:04 am

Someone using the UltraStudio Mini Recorder with a Thunderbolt to USB 3.0 adapter so that I can use the recorder with a USB port on my laptop? Will this work?

Sergey Mirontsev

PostThu Jun 13, 2019 8:18 am

timoda wrote:Someone using the UltraStudio Mini Recorder with a Thunderbolt to USB 3.0 adapter so that I can use the recorder with a USB port on my laptop? Will this work?

You cannot use this device with USB-Thunderbolt adapter on PC.
Blackmagic Design Certified Master Trainer

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera (Samyang 12mm Cine, 35mm Cine)
DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.4.4.0007
Speed Editor 1.4.1
Windows 10 Pro 21H1, i7-7700, 32Gb RAM, SSD, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb (471.68 Studio)

timoda

PostThu Jun 13, 2019 1:26 pm

Thanks for this information Sergey. Then I will take a look at the Intensity Shuttle with USB 3 capability.

Orchestrator

PostTue Jul 02, 2019 11:23 pm

Hello,

I'm using the US Mini Recorder with an Apple Thunderbolt 3 / 2 adapter. The camera was connected with 60Fps and 30FPS. We were able to use it for live chroma key preview.

However, we sometimes lost the video signal. We have not figured out why.

Video Software: Open Broadcast
Hardware: UltraStudio Mini Recorder
Input: HDMI

Regards, O.

Return to Post Production