ATEM 1 ME Repair

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

David Sheneman

ATEM 1 ME Repair

PostThu Jun 13, 2019 3:46 pm

We recently lost an original ATEM 1 ME due to either a brownout or power surge. I've confirmed that the power supply still works with the switcher control panel so I know the damage is in the switcher itself, not the power supply. I contacted Blackmagic and they said they don't support this model anymore. I took the switcher apart to see if I could find a fuse or something obvious but the only thing I see is that some of the circuit board seems to be darkened, possibly as a result of some overheating. I don't see a fuse or anything else obvious that was burned out due to the power fluctuation.

My question is, is there anything I can do to fix this switcher? It's beyond what I can do myself so I'm wondering if there's someone out there who knows the internals and would be willing/able to check it out for me. Things have changed a lot in the almost 30 years since I took electronics repair classes in college so it's beyond what I can do or have the proper tools for.

Alternatively if someone wants to buy it for parts or to repair themselves I'd be willing to consider that as well. I hate to just trash it so I want to see if there's any way to get it working again.

Thanks!

Xtreemtec

Re: ATEM 1 ME Repair

PostMon Jun 17, 2019 3:09 pm

I think the repair is sketchy and not really via-able anymore for a product that is not updated anymore.
But suit it yourself.
Here is some help with the issue because i guess this is the same problem as you will have.. They all die due to this issue at one point..
https://www.skaarhoj.com/fileadmin/ATEM ... alysis.pdf
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

David Sheneman

Re: ATEM 1 ME Repair

PostThu Jun 20, 2019 12:53 am

Thanks, I appreciate the information. I'm not going to tackle trying to replace these components myself but it's interesting to know what may be happening. We have had this switcher since 2011 I think (not long after Blackmagic debuted them) so they've lasted much longer than the ones in the link you sent.

I'll see if I can sell it to someone who wants to tackle trying to fix it themselves. If not I'll be recycling it soon.

Return to Live Production