Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fix bad splice with warp stabilizer?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

feinwork

Fix bad splice with warp stabilizer?

PostTue May 07, 2019 11:54 pm

Hi...

I have a problem with a 2k film transfer. A good number of the splices have caused a bounce at the edit point for 1-2 frames. I need to figure out how to warp the two bad frames at these splice points so that they no longer jump.

What I've discovered, is that the bottom 50% of the frame is perfectly lined up with the frames that follow, but the top half of the frame is warped up a small bit for the 1-2 frames at the beginning of a shot.

I've been trying a number of different systems to see what I can do to fix this, but all tend to change the whole shot, or cause a distortion.

My guess is that I need some way to set up half of the frame as an anchor (trackers locked into a unmoving position?) and then have other trackers that need to stay in place with their location on frame 3.

So frame 3 is mostly like the rest of the frames in the shot (most of these shots have the camera locked down), so trackers should freeze the bottom of frame 1 and 2 to match placement on 3. THEN trackers in the top of the frame (that have tracked the warp of the image for 1 & 2), need to warp frames 1 & 2 to match the starting point in frame 3... so in the end, all three frames should be the same size and shape, and stable without the jump.

The jump is an optical one that happened during the transfer, so there is no blur to worry about. This is also open-matte, so there shouldn't be any problem with minor issues along the edges so long as the image is essentially stable.

The point here, is that other parts if the frames are moving, such as someone talking, so I don't want to interpolate footage, just stretch it to it's proper size and scale.

This makes sense, but I don't quite know how to do it. I'm sure I can do it in fusion, just trying to work out the workflow.

Thank you for any suggestions/help you can offer!

David

feinwork

Re: Fix bad splice with warp stabilizer?

PostThu May 09, 2019 7:29 pm

Anyone? Any ideas for the quickest way to do this? The problem is uniform, so I could just adjust the frames manually, but I'd prefer to create an automated system that I could implement when I discover one of these frames. This also is about learning how to achieve it in fusion.

Thanks!

Dave

Sander de Regt

PostThu May 09, 2019 9:43 pm

Can you share one of these shots?
It sounds like you could come a long way with a Grid Warp. It has source and destination settings and you can use the points of the grid warp as the anchors you're referring to.
But without actually seeing the shot all suggestions are theoretical, since this is a very specific use case.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

iddos-l

PostFri May 10, 2019 9:10 am

Maybe also check the smooth cut transition in the edit page. Probably won’t do but worth a try

feinwork

PostThu May 30, 2019 1:29 am

Here are four frames. You'll see the last two are stable, and the rest of the shot will remain stable too. it's how the first two are warped that matters, and it's not just a positioning issue on both, one is warped in the top half, whereas the other IS mostly a position issue.

So my goal, is to find a way to automate making the first two frames match the rest of the shot. Most of the shots are static, so this should be possible, I just don't know how to best achieve it without 'faking' a move.

If there isn't an easier solution, Is it possible to track multiple points in a shot, going backwards. and LOCK the multiple points so when the first two shots are reached, they will adjust to keep the tracking points locked in place? Meaning that I put 4 or 6 track points in a shot and the first two shots will morph to be stable like the rest.

So, here are the 4 frames. Frames "Cut+2 & Cut+3" are stable like the rest of the shot, the prior two need to be moved/morphed. "Cut+0" is the shot on the cut (slightly down, whole frame, needs to be moved to match Cut+2 & 3+). Cut+1 is the next frame (bottom locked to rest of the shot, 50% and up, slightly stretched.) this needs to be moved so the bottom matches Cut+2 and +3, and morphed at the mid to top to also match 2 &3.)

There are Many of these problematic cuts... I've fixed some in Photoshop, but really want to find a way to automate this, and the morph size may change from 50% to 30-60% so it's not exactly automated.

Ideas please?

Thanks.

Dave
Attachments
Cut Reference Frames.zip
(443.78 KiB) Downloaded 155 times

feinwork

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 11:18 pm

Hi... Any ideas? Please?

Thanks.

Sander de Regt

PostSat Jun 15, 2019 6:59 am

My original answer still seems a good approach. i.e using a grid warp. Did you try that?
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Return to Fusion