Intensity Shuttle USB w/Sony Camera & laptop Issue

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

rob@smwdb

Intensity Shuttle USB w/Sony Camera & laptop Issue

PostMon May 14, 2018 7:23 pm

Hi

I am a new purchaser of the BMD Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. I am trying to connect HDMI out from either a Sony A57 DSLR or A6500 mirrorless camera to the Intensity and then into a laptop and ultimately through OBS for live streaming and recording. My laptop is seeing the Shuttle as a USB 3.0 device, however I am not seeing any video from either camera. The laptop is an HP Pavilion 15 inch laptop with an AMD A-10 5745M processor with 8 gigs of RAM running Windows 8.1 64 bit.

I have tried a number of settings and looked on line (including the forums) for specific assistance without luck. Apologies if this is covered elsewhere but any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Paulo Brinca

Re: Intensity Shuttle USB w/Sony Camera & laptop Issue

PostTue May 15, 2018 9:27 pm

I would advise you to start by uninstalling the BMD software and drivers and making shure you rebbot your computer.

At this point, start the instalation of the Shuttle USB before you actually plug it in.

Sometimes Windows will detect devices for which it doesn't have the necessary drivers and then struggle when you install using the actual vendor cd the device already has a generic driver associated and the vendor instalation package is no longer able to detect and install the device properly.

Best regards,
Paulo Brinca.
Don't settle to be good, make shure you can be great...

rob@smwdb

PostWed May 23, 2018 5:12 pm

Hello Paulo,

I apologize for my delay in responding and thank you very much for your suggestions.

I followed your advice and uninstalled/reinstalled the BMD software. At this point, the laptop and BMD software are seeing/recognizing the Intensity Shuttle in the device list (although it doesn't show up as a connection in Windows Explorer), but I am still not getting any throughput from the camera connected via HDMI. I will do further research on the specifics of these cameras and see if that is where the issue is.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Rob

shell-long

PostSat Jul 21, 2018 5:13 am

Hi I am having a similar problem and see others are too. I have the Sony a7riii and the Intensity Shuttle. The specs say that these should talk to each other. The Sony can be put into 1080i output on the HDMI (Menu Setup3, HDMI settings). This is then meant to be able to output in 50 or 24 fps. I assume that when this is connected to an external recorder the recorder will switch it between 50 and 24, but the Intensity seems to want to let the camera take the lead.

Is there a problem here where both devices are waiting for the other to initiate? I can display the camera on a Lilliput monitor and it does say 1080i50. So it seems to do the right thing into a monitor. Why doesn't the Intensity lock to this signal?

I have seen a video showing that to get an external recorder to downgrade the camera from 50 fps to 24fps you need a moving subject in the video stream. Tried this to no avail.

Any ideas welcome.

Eric-Jan

PostMon Aug 06, 2018 11:22 pm

Hi, the settings of the Desktop video setup driver (tool) should be setup to what the input(Shuttle) is getting from your camera (HDMI) also the HDMI input should be selected, start with no conversion settings, Media Express is also correct set ?
Expect that nothing is "automated" you really need to set everything with the correct settings, resolution, frame rate, and p or i (progressive or interlaced) i have the Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt on a Mac book pro working perfect, The UltraStudio Mini Recorder is also a great device, has a nice form factor and build and works also great for me when i need to capture HDMI, and i love the MAC OS for it's stable working, and Davinci Resolve is optimized faster for the MAC OS.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

beezeebee

PostWed Jun 12, 2019 7:26 pm

I have a similar issue.
I have the BlackMagic Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt (A), with a MacBook Pro and a Sony a6500 (B).
I cannot find the right combination of settings between A and B.
Can someone help me?

Eric-Jan

PostSun Jun 16, 2019 1:03 pm

Both iinput and output are set to HDMI ? resolution NNNN:NNNN(PAL/NTSC?), p/i mode and frame rate are set all the same on both devices ? using too long cables could also be a problem.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Return to Getting Started