Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Planar Tracker to Regular Mask

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

evgenymagata

Planar Tracker to Regular Mask

PostFri Oct 26, 2018 8:58 am

Hi People,

i am using the Planar tracker on a video and output the shape as a mask. That works, but is there a way to convert this to a "real" mask, so i have access to edge softing and all the other features a "real" mask has?

cheers,
e.

jussi rovanpera

Re: Planar Tracker to Regular Mask

PostFri Oct 26, 2018 10:14 am

It's better to use the shape in planar tracker to just select the area for tracking, and then use the resulting tracking to transform a separate shape.

evgenymagata

PostFri Oct 26, 2018 10:25 am

Why is that better? Using the tracked shape as a mask is EXACTLY what i need, its basically Auto-Rotoscoping by using the Planar Tracker. Using Planar Transform on a Polygon Mask doesnt give me the same result.

jussi rovanpera

PostFri Oct 26, 2018 11:07 am

It would be nice to have a roto tool with planar tracking like in mocha,
but the nodes in Fusion are more like building blocks to create tools rather than standalone tools...

You can planar track a subject, then create a shape and use the track to transform the shape. Then you can further animate the shape independent of the transform.

David_Cox

PostFri Oct 26, 2018 11:31 am

jussi rovanpera wrote:You can planar track a subject, then create a shape and use the track to transform the shape. Then you can further animate the shape independent of the transform.

I've never quite found the right combination of nodes and viewing positions to be able to do that successfully. By that I mean being able to see the transformed poly shape controls over the image I am roto-ing. I have Mocha, so I usually give up and go for that!

DC
Showreels: vimeo.com/davidcoxtv

Ross Shain

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 4:13 pm

You can also import Mocha masks into Fusion. This tutorial covers the workflow.
Ross Shain
CMO
Imagineer Systems

jensgruen

PostSun Jun 16, 2019 5:49 pm

dont know how old this thread is, but there seems to be as simple solution.

connect your planar tracker with output set to mask to a matte control (input in foreground). in the mattecontrol set matte to "combine alpha". now you have a mask that can be controlled with blur, expand and so on.

seems to work fine for me.

David_Cox

PostSun Jun 16, 2019 8:49 pm

The issue wasn't about being able to see the transformed matte. It was about being able to manipulate the shape control points that create the matte.

I haven't tried it for quite a while, so maybe it's fixed now, but the issue arose when rotoscoping. You would make an initial roto shape and then apply a planar track which would only move the resulting matte, not the control points in the shape that made the matte. This meant that as you tried to refine the roto by adding animation to the poly shape, you had to work with control points that were not translated, and so nowhere near the edges you were trying to draw around. With Mocha, the poly shape itself is moved so the control points are always related to the tracked object.

As I say, that was a while ago so maybe it's fixed now.

DC
Showreels: vimeo.com/davidcoxtv

jussi rovanpera

PostMon Jun 17, 2019 5:38 pm

David_Cox wrote:As I say, that was a while ago so maybe it's fixed now.
DC

The control points in the viewer are also affected by the planar transform, so it does work quite nicely.

But the spline goes to the image input of the planar transform, and then needs a bitmap after the transform to convert it back to a mask.

Return to Fusion