Can a Nikon Z6/Z7 be used with an ATEM?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

tautin

Can a Nikon Z6/Z7 be used with an ATEM?

PostMon Jun 17, 2019 9:47 am

Hello,

I'd like to use a Nikon Z7 as a 4K camera to feed an ATEM Production Studio 4K (or a DeckLink 4K HDMI card). Until now, success has been very limited.

To test I first plugged a 4K HDMI screen on the Z7. I get a video but most of the time it is a (very) low resolution video (the resolution of the Z7's back screen, I presume). And sometimes I get 4K. Once I was having low res, then the Z7 went to sleep mode, and when I reactivated it I got 4K :roll:

When plugging the Z7 to the ATEM, I only get a black picture (very likely because the Z7 is not outputting 4K).

Does anyone has an experience with the Z7 here?

Thanks!

Denny Smith

Re: Can a Nikon Z6/Z7 be used with an ATEM?

PostTue Jun 18, 2019 4:57 am

No, the Z7/6 output UHD as its highest resolution, see camera menu for HDMI outputs. Your ATEM setting and the camera resolution setting must match. That said, you can only use up to a 12-foot HDMI cable between the ATEM and camera, or you will need to use a HDMI/SDI Converter and feed the ATEM a SDI signal. The Z6 would be a better choice over the Z7. While both are very nice cameras and shoot excellent vido on their own, neither are going to make a good camera with the ATEM when mixed with other cameras, matching will be a challenge and you do not have any CCU control of the camera.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

tautin

PostThu Dec 16, 2021 1:56 pm

Hi Denny,

Sorry I didn't enalbed email notification and missed your answer. I no longer have the Z7 to make more tests, but since we have moved to the Constellation 8K, maybe it would work better since the Constellation automatically detects the input format and converts it. Maybe I'll do more tests in the future, but for now this project has been paused.

It was to us it in a submarine ROV, HDMI would have been converted to optical fiber, no length problem ;)

Still Im curious: why did you say that
neither are going to make a good camera with the ATEM when mixed with other cameras, matching will be a challenge
?

MajorRedbeard

PostWed Jul 06, 2022 2:13 pm

I think why he said matching is an issue is because the colour coming off the Nikon sensor will probably not match other cameras being used on a shoot, at least not exactly. Also you don't get camera control (Like colour options) when you're using a non-Blackmagic camera like the Pocket 4K / 6K. Those cameras communicate with the ATEMs and are able to have their settings changed, while the Nikon cameras do no support this. Whether this is a problem or not is up to you.

If it's the only camera, or being used underwater, colour from that shot might be different enough that no one notices.

Also another possible issue is the camera going to sleep, as you found out was potentially an issue. There are settings to disable this sleep mode in the custom settings menu.

Return to Live Production