ATEM Feature Request - EDL Creation

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Grant McNair

ATEM Feature Request - EDL Creation

PostThu Nov 09, 2017 2:45 pm

Hi,

It would be amazing if ATEM switchers created an EDL of all of cuts made so that you can bring it in to your NLE with iso recordings afterwards. The Odyssey Apollo switcher does this, and 3rd party products like the Event Logger can even do it for ATEM switchers. This saves SO much time in post when you later need to make adjustments to any live cuts made.

I am not asking for XML - just a basic EDL. Resolve can read it - and it would be a HUGE feature to include with a firmware update on ATEM switchers.

Thanks,

Grant

Baz

Re: ATEM Feature Request - EDL Creation

PostThu Nov 09, 2017 11:26 pm

MISC
U/S Express, SmartviewDuo, SmartScopeDuo, Teranex 2D, Web Pres, 5/7 Vid Assists
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
Studio, Shuttle, Studio Mini
ATEM
2me4K, 2me, TVS, TVS HD, CamConvs, StudioConvs, Studio Cams, Micro Studio Cam

Zack Pittman

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 3:07 am

Softron make a great product that does this already!

Thomas Seewald

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 1:15 pm

ATEM Mixers have a very low cost. With the saved money you can own a third party product. If this function would be integrated, a lot of peole would pay for a function, they never will need....
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

jsolterbeck

PostMon Jun 03, 2019 11:33 pm

I'm in agreement with OP, esp since bm has already written their own software that can control the switchers, I doubt it would be much cost at all for them to add EDL functionality. I would gladly pay for it as a software add-on as well. It would save me thousands of dollars in hours to be able to have the ISOs trimmed to the live switch. Softron is still $2000, which seems high for this functionality.

Xtreemtec

PostMon Jun 17, 2019 7:32 pm

@Ian Morrish, Here we go again.. We already discussed this to do a EDL like software programm that runs on the SDK of BMD.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Sam Cole

PostMon Jun 17, 2019 11:53 pm

I use Baz's solution and its a good price

Ian Morrish

PostTue Jun 18, 2019 1:48 am

You can also now set the ATEM timecode, although not exactly as there seems to be a delay of up to 500ms when using the API to do this, so your EDL uses local or GMT time. https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com/2019/06/08/set-atem-timecode-to-pc-time/

I have a simple way of capturing cut's in an EDL file using Windows PowerShell https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com/2019/03/24/create-edl-file-of-live-atem-mix/
I use this in conjunction with a big button I can hit when I make a live mix error so post can just go and fix the mistakes, otherwise live mix is the master. For tis reason I don't need fram accurate data as in post they will go back a few seconds anyway.
More accurate way would be using the Baz solution.
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

fateh.shams

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 11:10 pm

Hi,
I am also looking for the same feature to save EDL from the ATEM. I have Atomos Sumo which can record 4 ISO streams from the 4 cameras. I want to correct all mistakes later in post, while still get advantage of the live mixing for studio programs with 4 cameras. All the other tools seems to be expensive. I have not found so far any good solution and if there is any, those seems to be expensive.

Mikael Bellina

PostFri Apr 03, 2020 10:10 pm

Ian Morrish wrote:You can also now set the ATEM timecode, although not exactly as there seems to be a delay of up to 500ms when using the API to do this, so your EDL uses local or GMT time. https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com/2019/06/08/set-atem-timecode-to-pc-time/

I have a simple way of capturing cut's in an EDL file using Windows PowerShell https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com/2019/03/24/create-edl-file-of-live-atem-mix/
I use this in conjunction with a big button I can hit when I make a live mix error so post can just go and fix the mistakes, otherwise live mix is the master. For tis reason I don't need fram accurate data as in post they will go back a few seconds anyway.
More accurate way would be using the Baz solution.

I'm not sure to understand the delay problem. Because when you hit your panel it comes back in the atem software immediatly with no delay at all. So doesn't use api maybe, but network protocol ?

What would be your view on this.

Thank you
16.1.1 Studio / 2690v2 / rtx 2080 ti / ssd / W10 last
Atem Tvs Hd / hyperdeck studio mini

Return to Live Production