Firmware Failure

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Jim Simon

Firmware Failure

PostMon Jun 17, 2019 4:31 pm

I was successfully using an ATEM Television Studio Pro 4K last Friday. Before the show, I tried to connect our Laptop to the switcher, but the software said the firmware needed an update, and the software would not connect without it.

Not a problem. The Laptop was incidental for this particular show.

After the show, the boss said to run that firmware update while the crew broke down. I did, and it failed about 30% of the way in. There was no specific indication of why it failed.

So with the hardware stuck in the middle of a firmware update, the Laptop can no longer connect to the switcher. As we were on location, I had to power down the switcher with the screen stuck in the "Update" mode.

I'll be back at the office in a few hours to try and make things work again. Anyone have any advice?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Xtreemtec

Re: Firmware Failure

PostMon Jun 17, 2019 4:50 pm

Just boot it up and see what happens.. If it does not connect anymore and the Atem does not boot anymore. Contact BMD regional support.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Jim Simon

PostMon Jun 17, 2019 6:55 pm

Thanks. It might well come to that, but we need the switcher for another show this Thursday. I was kind of hoping someone might have a sure fire "do this" solution.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Xtreemtec

PostMon Jun 17, 2019 7:14 pm

There is non.. If it runs, be happy, If it fails to boot. open your wallet and buy or rent one. Because it needs to be send in for a FW reflash inside. This can only be done at BMD support offices. ;)
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Jim Simon

PostMon Jun 17, 2019 8:06 pm

Thanks for the info, Daniel.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jun 17, 2019 8:18 pm

Hello Jim. You might check and try the update with a USB connection instead of Ethernet connection. Because of the way the update process is done, it might be a good idea to put a label on the ATEM indicating which firmware version is installed so the computer can be made to match instead of making the ATEM match the computer.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Jim Simon

PostMon Jun 17, 2019 11:14 pm

I think you hit the nail on the head, Gary.

We found that the hardware had version 8.0 firmware installed on it. It was working fine with another Laptop that also had version 8.0.

Last Friday night, the Laptop we happened to be using still had version 7.5.2 on it. I have to wonder if it's that attempted "downgrade" that caused the failure and ultimate bricking of the hardware, which now has to be sent in for repair.

In any event, it begs the question, why the hell is the software trying to downgrade the firmware?! That just should not happen. The software needs to be smart enough to know whether a firmware update is needed, or a software update, and inform the user appropriately.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Xtreemtec

PostTue Jun 18, 2019 6:29 pm

Because this is the way the software is designed. IT will downgrade your hardware if not running the correct software.

But i'm asking BMD for 2 years now to include the FW version in the Menu of the TVS line mixers.. So you can quick check what fw is loaded.

Also it would be GREAT if the Atem software just reports hey you are trying to connect to a switcher with FWx.x in it. Please upgrade / downgrade your software or update your mixer fw.

I mean it can detect it has a mismatch. But it does not tell the user what the mismatch is.. Seems such a basic and easy to implement feature!!! ;)

gebtig

Re: Firmware Failure, device is in invalid state

PostSat Mar 09, 2024 5:19 pm

We were prompted to update the firmware of ATEM Television Studio Pro 4K and after that update the ATEM stoped working. Only the set button is on when power is plugged in. We have tried updating it multiple times even advised by the tech guys to downgrade the software and update it, but at the end it kept telling us that the USB cable is disconnected or the device is in invalid state. Please help us.

Return to Live Production