URSA Viewfinder Mounting Plate Replacement

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

gerrymtz

URSA Viewfinder Mounting Plate Replacement

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 7:39 pm

Hey everyone,
I recently lost the ViewFinder Plate (sigh!) that attaches bellow the Top Handle of my URSA Mini Pro.

I've been looking like crazy for the spare part and don't seem to find it. Only option is the SmallRig Top Handle Kit, but I'd like to keep using the original Blackmagic parts.

I'd love some guidance on where I can find a replacement or suggestions to replace it from other brand.
Thank you all!
Follow me on Instagram:
@gerrymtz

Donnell Henry

Re: URSA Mini Pro ViewFinder Plate Replacement

PostSat Jun 15, 2019 1:19 am

Call up blackmagic they’ll direct you on what to do. I had lost the screws for those plates and they sent me a direct link on where to purchase the part from B&H.
GODS CREATE

Denny Smith

Re: URSA Mini Pro ViewFinder Plate Replacement

PostSat Jun 15, 2019 1:46 am

Are you referring to the part of the EVF that slides under the top handle assembly or the top plate off the camera? I have parts for the EVF.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

Re: URSA Viewfinder Mounting Plate Replacement

PostMon Jun 17, 2019 11:28 pm

Contact Blackmagic support and tell them you are after an 'URSA EVF - Mounting Plate'.

Jamie LeJeune

PostMon Jun 17, 2019 11:40 pm

My advice would be to skip BMD's mounting hardware (including the BMD top handle) and replace it with a NATO rail, NATO clamp and a NATO handle so that you have quick release without needing tools to take them on and off

Both Wooden Camera and Small Rig (less expensive) have them

This is what it looks like (with the addition of a Rycote Lyre to mount a Sennheiser ME66)
Ursa_Mini Rig_ 2.jpg
Ursa_Mini Rig_ 2.jpg (580.46 KiB) Viewed 2592 times
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Denny Smith

PostTue Jun 18, 2019 4:46 am

I just used the Smallrig Ursa Mini top plate (similar to a NATO plate) and their handle kit, works well on my Ursa Broadcast (same body as the Ursa Mini Pro), and the BMD stock EVF Mount slides right in and has some adjustment front to back.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

gerrymtz

PostTue Jun 25, 2019 6:02 pm

Oh, thank you all so much. These are all great options, thanks for taking the time.
Follow me on Instagram:
@gerrymtz

Ed_Mantle

PostMon Jul 15, 2019 6:01 pm

Jamie LeJeune wrote:My advice would be to skip BMD's mounting hardware (including the BMD top handle) and replace it with a NATO rail, NATO clamp and a NATO handle so that you have quick release without needing tools to take them on and off

Both Wooden Camera and Small Rig (less expensive) have them

This is what it looks like (with the addition of a Rycote Lyre to mount a Sennheiser ME66)
Ursa_Mini Rig_ 2.jpg

Doesn't this fairly significantly adjust the position of the viewfinder? Looks quite a bit higher/more forward. Presume it can be adjusted but just checking? Am about to pick up an Ursa Viewfinder (unless anyone has any suggestions for better bang than buck - even though it's 4 years old which in tech terms feels a long time) and looking at ways to mount it.

Jamie LeJeune

PostMon Jul 15, 2019 6:35 pm

edward_mantle wrote:Doesn't this fairly significantly adjust the position of the viewfinder? Looks quite a bit higher/more forward.
The viewfinder can be positioned anywhere along the NATO rail. Beyond the ability for quickly putting it on and taking it off, what I like about the setup shown in the photo I posted is that gives far more fore/aft range for where the viewfinder can be placed compared to BMD's solution. That extra range provided by the NATO rail setup is necessary if you want to properly balance the camera on your shoulder with a long and/or heavy lens.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Ed_Mantle

PostMon Jul 15, 2019 7:29 pm

Jamie LeJeune wrote:
edward_mantle wrote:Doesn't this fairly significantly adjust the position of the viewfinder? Looks quite a bit higher/more forward.
The viewfinder can be positioned anywhere along the NATO rail. Beyond the ability for quickly putting it on and taking it off, what I like about the setup shown in the photo I posted is that gives far more fore/aft range for where the viewfinder can be placed compared to BMD's solution. That extra range provided by the NATO rail setup is necessary if you want to properly balance the camera on your shoulder with a long and/or heavy lens.

Thanks Jamie, will have a browse on the WC website.

Return to Cinematography