Supersource

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

andersongates

Supersource

PostWed May 15, 2013 12:21 am

I am awaiting my ATEM 2 m/e but I need to start designing my super source templates to be approved for an event. Now I can just fake it and make it in photoshop to get me by, but it would be nice how to design it for the atem so I don't have to do it twice.

So...
-How do I design the templates that can be loaded into the atem for supersource?
-Do you upload it via the media browser in the media tab of the switching software?
-Once loaded, how easy is it to assign sources to the transparent sections of my template?
-Is it possible to cut to different sources while supersource is live or do you have to cut away reassign the input then cut back?

Hope someone can cure my impatience, don't want to wait til the unit gets here.

steveando

Re: Supersource

PostWed May 15, 2013 2:43 am

andersongates wrote:-How do I design the templates that can be loaded into the atem for supersource?
You don't. The supersource is made up of (up to) 4 overlays over the background source. You can use any source, including a still loaded in the media player, as your background, and any source for the "boxes"
andersongates wrote:-Do you upload it via the media browser in the media tab of the switching software?
As above, you can upload the background into the media player, but I would not create a background with pre-existing "transparent" sections in it. You'd have to match the box sizes and locations perfectly (at least not undersize them anyway)... although you could do two backgrounds, one for lineup purposes, and one for the show allowing you to tweak if necessary.
andersongates wrote:-Once loaded, how easy is it to assign sources to the transparent sections of my template?
Pretty easy... it is done the same way as assigning signals to the Aux outs.
andersongates wrote:-Is it possible to cut to different sources while supersource is live or do you have to cut away reassign the input then cut back?
YES! (you can cut sources live)

Also, there is currently no way of storing "presets" of the super source layouts in the ATEM software OR hardware. You might want to look at JustMacros http://atemuser.com/forums/atem-vision-mixers/blackmagic-atems/just-macros which is a scripting program for Windows that does enable all sorts of fun stuff to happen. It's still in development but it has been working well for me for about a month on half a dozen jobs or so. I haven't yet used it for SuperSource stuff though.

Hope that's helpful.

Return to Live Production