Studio Fiber Converter compatible Sony CA-905L

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Knut Bussian

Studio Fiber Converter compatible Sony CA-905L

PostWed Jun 12, 2019 10:40 am

Hi,

we are thinking of buying a box lense for use with an Ursa Broadcast. Does anybody have experience with the Sony sled (large lense adaptor) CA-905L and can the BMD Studio Fiber Converter be used with a with the CA-905L?

The Sony adaptor has got hybrid fiber Lemo connectors and powers the lense from hybrid fiber. But is the voltage / power sufficient / the right one?

Thanks,

Knut

Xtreemtec

Re: Studio Fiber Converter compatible Sony CA-905L

PostTue Jun 18, 2019 9:14 pm

Hi Knut,

I am not exactly sure if BMD did follow the same specs as Sony on this SMPTE powered system.
Might be a few issues i see:

Voltage difference
Total power possible
Communication difference (Especially because there is a low voltage power send trough the SMPTE that powers a micro controller and measurement electronics to measure the SMPTE cable before going into high voltage mode.
This could be completely different from the Sony check. might even damage components because BMD does not say it is compatible with other brand SMPTE units...

Also the Sony Sleds have electronics build in that do a lot of control functions for the camera.. This is also not compatible..

The best way and how we did it is to buy an old sled. And power it from a D-tap / 4pin xlr. You only need +12V to power the lens. ;)

We used Phillips/BTS/GrassValley sleds They are cheap to find. Old Triax ones.. Gutted the inside..

LDK4482 Sled

And if you want to travel lightweight check out the Canon SUP-NP2S Can be powered direct from the 4pin xlr. And you have an adjustment for underneath the Ursa. Because for that Sony and GV Sled you need to build a special riser to add between the camera and the sled. ;)

Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Knut Bussian

PostWed Jun 19, 2019 6:45 am

Daniel,

so the 12V supplied via the Hirose output from the Ursa is not sufficient? I thought, that the universal lens supporters power the lens only via Centronics / Hirose as I cannot see a separate power supply?

Knut

Xtreemtec

PostThu Jun 20, 2019 3:03 pm

As far as i know the boxlens always gets a separate power supply and not from the lens connector.

And looking into our 66x lens i understand that. There are Tally Lamps (no led's but bulbs) Heavy motors. So this is not really recommended to power from the hirose.

Our cradles / Sleds we power them externally by 4pin XLR. (Which can be powered from the Dtap on the Fiber converter) ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Denny Smith

PostFri Jun 21, 2019 2:36 am

According to Tim at BMD, thr box lenses need an external power connection as the camera power output via the Hirose is not sufficient.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

benjamin.cesen

PostWed May 13, 2020 7:37 pm

Hi
Xtreemtec how did you connect your URSA to lens? Pinout for connection? I can not find any manual on web. I also have LDK4482. And when I connect Ursa to it, iris work perffecly but zoom and focus on my demands dont work... only extender control on demand is working.
so how did you "Gutted the inside"? :)

Tnx

Howard Roll

PostWed May 13, 2020 11:36 pm

benjamin.cesen wrote:Hi
Xtreemtec how did you connect your URSA to lens? Pinout for connection? I can not find any manual on web. I also have LDK4482. And when I connect Ursa to it, iris work perffecly but zoom and focus on my demands dont work... only extender control on demand is working.
so how did you "Gutted the inside"? :)

Tnx

You probably don't need to gut anything, if iris works you've got communication and voltage. Does the lens have manual or digital focus blocks. These modules drive the focus and zoom. I'm probably not making a wild assumption that you are using a lens with a manual focus block or lack thereof. Digital focus is still a pretty new trick and not typically paired with 30 year old Superexpanders.

Digital
eem.jpeg
eem.jpeg (9.05 KiB) Viewed 1528 times

Manual
esm.jpg
esm.jpg (8.27 KiB) Viewed 1528 times

Good Luck

benjamin.cesen

PostMon May 18, 2020 9:02 am

Tnx for replay.

I fixed the problem. Problem was that camera adapter set lans to remote zoom and focus. I just disable that pin and that was it. It works perfectly.

Tnx again.

Does anyone have pinout for old 36pin canon box lans connector?

MSM_Phil

PostFri Jul 15, 2022 9:47 pm

Daniel,

I realize this is an old post, but I have two old Phillips/BTS/GrassValley sleds and I want to convert one for my Ursa Broadcast camera and Canon 45x lens. Do you have more details on what you did to convert these sleds? If so, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Phil

Return to Live Production