Canon hj11, hj14, hj21, hj40 on Ursa Broadcast Problem!

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Egor Voronin

Canon hj11, hj14, hj21, hj40 on Ursa Broadcast Problem!

PostThu Jun 06, 2019 6:36 pm

With lenses Canon HJ is a frequent problem, iris control is not possible from RCP (Atem Camera Control). You need to restart the camera several times, after which the function starts working. On the camera display - the iris value is empty.This problem is more than 10 lenses Canon hj11, Canon hj14, Canon hj21, Canon hj40...
I have more than 10 canon hj lens.
And also 8 cameras blackmagic ursa.
Problem in any of the configurations

Does the blackmagic fix it?

pederdingo

Re: Canon hj11, hj14, hj21, hj40 on Ursa Broadcast Problem!

PostThu Jun 06, 2019 9:35 pm

Yeah, this is a problem on my canons too.

This usually works for me:

Set the lens to M.
Turn off the camera.
Set the iris to something in the middle (like 5.6).
Turn on the camera.
Wait for the iris to show up in the monitor.
Set the lens to A.

Maybe it has something to do with the iris being either full open or closed on startup

Egor Voronin

PostTue Jun 11, 2019 9:23 am

pederdingo wrote:Yeah, this is a problem on my canons too.

This usually works for me:

Set the lens to M.
Turn off the camera.
Set the iris to something in the middle (like 5.6).
Turn on the camera.
Wait for the iris to show up in the monitor.
Set the lens to A.

Maybe it has something to do with the iris being either full open or closed on startup

it doesn't work on canon hj 40 ;((

pederdingo

PostTue Jun 11, 2019 5:37 pm

Sorry to hear that
- did you try multiple times?

Egor Voronin

PostWed Jun 12, 2019 9:39 pm

pederdingo wrote:Sorry to hear that
- did you try multiple times?

If you repeat several times - it will work. But when I have 12 cameras, it is very poor.

Xtreemtec

PostMon Jun 17, 2019 3:52 pm

Check if you can set your HJ lens to analog mode instead of digital Serial mode. ;)

The digital controlled lenses do not play very well with the Ursa..
But if you are able to switch to analog mode.. (Often a micro slider behind a rubber cap on the end of the hand control unit)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Egor Voronin

PostMon Jun 17, 2019 6:46 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Check if you can set your HJ lens to analog mode instead of digital Serial mode. ;)

The digital controlled lenses do not play very well with the Ursa..
But if you are able to switch to analog mode.. (Often a micro slider behind a rubber cap on the end of the hand control unit)

canon hj40 does not have mode switching((

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jun 18, 2019 1:00 am

Setting to analog mode (if available) will also mean you don't get zoom or focus control from the switcher. Only iris.

Instead try adjusting the iris gain on the lens handgrip until it is more stable. This can be done in the menu generally or via the small iris gain dial on some of the older Canon lenses that don't have a digital menu in the handgrip.

Can you tell me the exact model number of the Canon lenses you are trying with including all of the letters and numbers at the end?

Egor Voronin

PostTue Jun 18, 2019 12:53 pm

Tim Schumann wrote:Setting to analog mode (if available) will also mean you don't get zoom or focus control from the switcher. Only iris.

Instead try adjusting the iris gain on the lens handgrip until it is more stable. This can be done in the menu generally or via the small iris gain dial on some of the older Canon lenses that don't have a digital menu in the handgrip.

Can you tell me the exact model number of the Canon lenses you are trying with including all of the letters and numbers at the end?

HJ40x10B IASD-V (two different lenses)
HJ21x7.6B IASE
Canon HJ14x4.3B IASE (3 different lenses)
Canon HJ11x4.7B IASE

we will try to iris gain , and will report the results soon.

P.S. There are no problems with fujinon lenses (Fujinon HA42, Fujinon XA77, 99 (box lens)) HA/ZA13, 17, 22 and more).

Denny Smith

PostTue Jun 18, 2019 5:39 pm

May be obvious, but try switching the A/M auto iris switch on the Servo grip to make sure it is in A mode.
When my Angenieux ENG zoom iris quits responding, this usually does the trick.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Egor Voronin

PostTue Jun 18, 2019 9:15 pm

Denny Smith wrote:May be obvious, but try switching the A/M auto iris switch on the Servo grip to make sure it is in A mode.
When my Angenieux ENG zoom iris quits responding, this usually does the trick.
Cheers

On canon lenses - initially the lens value is not shown on display / studio viewfinder.several camera reboots - and iris value on the camera displays and you can work.

pederdingo

PostWed Jun 19, 2019 2:50 am

If this works then that's great info.
Tim, in your experience should the gain be set low or high to work?

And is this an issue that could potentially be remedied in a future firmware update?

Tim Schumann wrote:Setting to analog mode (if available) will also mean you don't get zoom or focus control from the switcher. Only iris.

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 19, 2019 4:08 am

Egor Voronin wrote:On canon lenses - initially the lens value is not shown on display / studio viewfinder.several camera reboots - and iris value on the camera displays and you can work.

This is the lens not initialising correctly on the camera. Please read my comments, and those from others earlier in the thread about this.
pederdingo wrote:If this works then that's great info.
Tim Schumann wrote:Instead try adjusting the iris gain on the lens handgrip until it is more stable. This can be done in the menu generally or via the small iris gain dial on some of the older Canon lenses that don't have a digital menu in the handgrip.

Some work better with high iris gain and some with low. You will need to try it with the lens and see where it works most consistently.
pederdingo wrote:And is this an issue that could potentially be remedied in a future firmware update?

Yes we are constantly working on improving our lens support for all B4, EF, MFT and PL lens systems in our free camera software / firmware updates.

Denny Smith

PostWed Jun 19, 2019 6:07 am

Thanks Tim.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Egor Voronin

PostWed Jun 19, 2019 3:53 pm

Tim Schumann wrote:
Egor Voronin wrote:On canon lenses - initially the lens value is not shown on display / studio viewfinder.several camera reboots - and iris value on the camera displays and you can work.

This is the lens not initialising correctly on the camera. Please read my comments, and those from others earlier in the thread about this.
pederdingo wrote:If this works then that's great info.
Tim Schumann wrote:Instead try adjusting the iris gain on the lens handgrip until it is more stable. This can be done in the menu generally or via the small iris gain dial on some of the older Canon lenses that don't have a digital menu in the handgrip.

Some work better with high iris gain and some with low. You will need to try it with the lens and see where it works most consistently.
pederdingo wrote:And is this an issue that could potentially be remedied in a future firmware update?

Yes we are constantly working on improving our lens support for all B4, EF, MFT and PL lens systems in our free camera software / firmware updates.

Tim,
Today we tested the Canon HJ 40 on Ursa Broadcast, changing the value of Iris Gain. However, this did not lead to success. Problem still exists.

Also we also checked this lens for Panasonic UC3000 and Sony HXC100. There is no problem with these cameras.

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 19, 2019 10:50 pm

Egor Voronin wrote:Today we tested the Canon HJ 40 on Ursa Broadcast, changing the value of Iris Gain. However, this did not lead to success. Problem still exists.
We will try to get hold of one of these to check it out. With the Fujinon 42x there is a 4-pin XLR on the lens servo handgrip for supplying additional power, like what you do when operating with box lenses as the Hirose can only supply a limited amount of power, but I don't think that is the case with the Canon 40x. Out of interest which version of the 40x do you have?

Egor Voronin

PostThu Jun 20, 2019 7:41 pm

Tim Schumann wrote:
Egor Voronin wrote:Today we tested the Canon HJ 40 on Ursa Broadcast, changing the value of Iris Gain. However, this did not lead to success. Problem still exists.
We will try to get hold of one of these to check it out. With the Fujinon 42x there is a 4-pin XLR on the lens servo handgrip for supplying additional power, like what you do when operating with box lenses as the Hirose can only supply a limited amount of power, but I don't think that is the case with the Canon 40x. Out of interest which version of the 40x do you have?

fujinon ha42 - works fine without external power, we have several of these lenses. With fujinon lenses, we had no problems at all, not even once.

canon hj40 is no external power on the lens. this version https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... SD_CS.html The problem is not only on hj40, but also on hj21

matsky

PostSat Jul 25, 2020 7:26 am

Hi guys !

I would like to buy Canon lenses for my URSA Broadcast (HJ17 and HJ40), has Blackmagic fixed iris control (with SDI camera control protocol) issues with latest firmware ?

thank you for your feedback !

Allan Stevenson

PostSat Sep 05, 2020 6:53 pm

Has this issue been resolved with newer firmware or has anyone found a workaround? I am experiencing the same issue with a Canon HJ21.

I don't need zoom remote control from the switcher, simply iris remote control.

Thanks for your help.

Howard Roll

PostSun Sep 06, 2020 3:25 am

I feel like this got sorted in another thread but I couldn't find it. The best I could come up with is this link, might be worth a shot.

viewtopic.php?t=109604&p=637026

Good Luck

Egor Voronin

PostSun Sep 06, 2020 6:42 am

With new firmware - iris control works.

Canon hj11,14,17,18,21,22,40,86, uj90 - works great.

Return to Live Production