Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Group Instancing

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

bezzmx

Group Instancing

PostSun Jun 23, 2019 12:15 am

Hello! Here is the situation: i have a bunch of nodes which should be used many times in my composition for different inputs. So i group them and make instances of this group. All work fine, the parameters of nodes are linked and so on. But if i want to change the "logic" of a flow in a group (add some new nodes or remove nodes) it works just in one group. So i have to delete other groups and make new instances again after changes. Is there a some way not just to link parameters of nodes but update node structure in instanced groups? Something like HDA (Houdini Digital Asset) in SideFX Houdini. (In Houdini HDA combines subnetwork of nodes in another one node which content can be edited and updated anywere HDA is used)

Bryan Ray

Re: Group Instancing

PostSun Jun 23, 2019 2:59 pm

No, to the best of my knowledge that isn't possible in Fusion. I can imagine a script that would auto-update a macro or group from the most recent version of the network, but I'm not sure if it would be possible to preserve the instance referencing when updating.

Unless someone else knows how to handle instancing in a script?
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Chad Capeland

Re: Group Instancing

PostMon Jun 24, 2019 6:18 am

Yeah, you'd have to use a script to manage it, which if you aren't careful could get messy. Like you need to account for users having access to the nodes...

If it's a real pipeline issue for you though, it can be done.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Return to Fusion