VFX connect roundtrip

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Emil Öberg

VFX connect roundtrip

PostMon Jun 24, 2019 12:10 pm

I'm trying to figure out if it possible to send a .exr file out with VFX connect to Fusion and then in Fusion render out a .mov or .mxf back to Resolve? When I try to do this I get this error message saying: "Selected version of Fusion Connect clip is not rendered. Do you wish to open this clip in Fusion?"

Jean Claude

Re: VFX connect roundtrip

PostMon Jun 24, 2019 5:36 pm

Emil Öberg wrote:I'm trying to figure out if it possible to send a .exr file out with VFX connect to Fusion and then in Fusion render out a .mov or .mxf back to Resolve? When I try to do this I get this error message saying: "Selected version of Fusion Connect clip is not rendered. Do you wish to open this clip in Fusion?"

Hello,
Everything works fine here from an EXR :)

VFX_Connect.jpg

Automatic
VFX_In_fusion_render.jpg

From Fusion v16 Beta 0028
VFX_Connect_render.jpg
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Emil Öberg

PostMon Jun 24, 2019 10:41 pm

My problem is not to render the quicktime, it's to load it in Resolve as a version for the VFX Connect clip. Thank you for taking the time though!

Igor Riđanović

PostMon Jun 24, 2019 11:31 pm

This may not work for your specific circumstances, but I typically select the "Use source media..." option to avoid spending time on another file output. Then under the format dropdown I select what I want back from Fusion.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

RCModelReviews

PostMon Jun 24, 2019 11:36 pm

WARNING... THREAD HIJACK

Whilst on the subject of VFX-connect... I use this a lot but sometimes I need to go back and make a change in Fusion after I've gone back to Resolve. The problem is that if I just restart Fusion and select the last project edited the render fails because Resolve still has the file locked.

Can I switch from Resolve back to working on the VFX clip in Fusion whilst editing? "Create New VFX" doesn't seem the correct option.

So how do I go back and forth between Resolve and Fusion on a VFX-connect clip without the file-locking issue?
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

b.forbort

PostTue Jun 25, 2019 1:17 am

RCModelReviews wrote:So how do I go back and forth between Resolve and Fusion on a VFX-connect clip without the file-locking issue?

Hi Bruce,

I'm not sure what version you are using, but in Studio 16 Beta 4, I can right-click on a VFX Connect clip, then select 'VFX Connect' > 'Open in Fusion.'
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (162.75 KiB) Viewed 1544 times

That opens up my saved Fusion project automagically and I don't get any file lock issues.

Hope this helps, and thank you for the great videos! You influenced me to learn how to scratch build and get out flying.

Hendrik Proosa

PostTue Jun 25, 2019 10:29 am

Emil Öberg wrote:I'm trying to figure out if it possible to send a .exr file out with VFX connect to Fusion and then in Fusion render out a .mov or .mxf back to Resolve? When I try to do this I get this error message saying: "Selected version of Fusion Connect clip is not rendered. Do you wish to open this clip in Fusion?"

What is the use case for this? Rendering comp to video container is usually not a good idea, so there must be some specific need for it I guess..? I don't think what you want is currently possible without using original source media as suggested by Igor. Resolve expects back the exact naming convention and format it set up when creating vfx connect item, afaik user can not modify this after the fact unless you dig into Resolve database.
I do stuff.

Jean Claude

PostTue Jun 25, 2019 5:45 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:WARNING... THREAD HIJACK

.../...

So how do I go back and forth between Resolve and Fusion on a VFX-connect clip without the file-locking issue?

Hello,
It is that you do not respect the procedure: see the manual. :oops:
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

RCModelReviews

PostTue Jun 25, 2019 6:26 pm

b.forbort wrote:That opens up my saved Fusion project automagically and I don't get any file lock issues.

Hope this helps, and thank you for the great videos! You influenced me to learn how to scratch build and get out flying.

Duh... I don't know where my head was at :lol:

Thanks for pointing out what should have been bleeding obvious (how often do I forget that the right mouse-button has a purpose -- answer: too often).

Thanks also for the kind words -- it's a small world!
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

Return to DaVinci Resolve