Proposal to BM:Host Reference Media & Projects

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Michael_Andreas

Proposal to BM:Host Reference Media & Projects

PostTue Jun 25, 2019 1:28 pm

I propose that BlackMagic Design host on their website some reference media and projects. What these would be useful for are:
(1) Troubleshooting
(2) Benchmarking
(3) Training
(4) Marketing

When someone (a customer) describes a problem they're having using DR, one important variable is the actual data the customer is working with. The customer's system is another variable. If the customer could recreate the problem with a reference project, then that would allow the BM team to more efficiently evaluate the problem on their end. If it's a bug, then it could be part of the bug definition in the bug report given to the development team.

For benchmarking, the performance depends on the complexity of the project and the hardware and software of the system hosting DR and the project. If there were reference sets of media and projects, then different users could render the same projects and contribute to a benchmark database.

There actually the beginnings of this in the downloadable material for the DaVinci Resolve training videos and PDFs. Since the goal of this was to train the user in concepts for using DR, these might not be complex enough for all use cases.

And there could be some marketing value with these, particularly if the media was produced using one of BlackMagic's cameras.

Beginnings of an idea here. Hopefully others will see the value in this and contribute additional ideas and refinements.

Jim Simon

Re: Proposal to BM:Host Reference Media & Projects

PostTue Jun 25, 2019 3:42 pm

My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Michael_Andreas

PostTue Jun 25, 2019 3:55 pm

Yes, Jim. I mentioned the training materials in my OP. The media samples in there are 720P and 1080P. For some issues 4K may be a factor. RAW files and files with different codecs may be a factor.

Jim Simon

PostTue Jun 25, 2019 3:58 pm

My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Michael_Andreas

PostTue Jun 25, 2019 4:28 pm

Thanks, Jim.

Perhaps there's other material already available for this purpose, such as stock footage: https://www.videvo.net/stock-video-foot ... clips/yes/

The other piece of this would be the project files themselves and user guides. I tried a test load of a .drp to this forum, and that was filtered immediately. The FAQ was not enlightening on what is allowed in the way of attachments to posts. So there would have to be buy-in from BlackMagic on this if they are to be hosted on the forum.

Return to DaVinci Resolve