Plural eyes alternative

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

AbdoulUK

Plural eyes alternative

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 10:44 pm

Hi all,
Apologies if this repeat question shows up, I did ask before my profile was verified but looks like it's been lost in the process.

Does anyone know if there is an easy way to sync audio to raw BM clips inside davicni resolve without timecode? I know there are ways mentioned in the manual and even from a quick search on here, but what Im looking for is a method which replaces the audio in the raw files and updates the media pool so each clip is now self contained with replaced audio (like plural eyes does).

I ask because this is literally the only thing stopping me editing my projects in Davinci, and instead edit in Premiere and then just round trip to davinci for grading then back out again. Is plural eyes my only option for self contained clips with replaced audio?

Thanks

Michael_Andreas

Re: Plural eyes alternative

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 11:40 pm

The Create Multicam Clip dialog gives the option to sync by audio, and has worked well for me given that I would slate with hand claps. The replacement of the audio track is not included but Resolve provides other options for audio selection.

depiqd_alex

PostTue Apr 30, 2019 7:53 pm

I've had issues getting Plural Eyes and Resolve to work well together. The XML from Plural Eyes and the way Davinci Resolve sees it is not working correctly. I hope that someone can prove me wrong on that.

In the meantime, I've been using Syncalia. It's not as UI friendly as PE but it works with Resolve flawlessly.

Hope that helps.

Frank Engel

PostWed May 01, 2019 4:36 pm

You don't need an external program for this.

https://filmora.wondershare.com/davinci ... solve.html

Joshua_G

PostThu May 02, 2019 10:06 am

Indeed, multicam syncing and editing can be made from within Resolve, there is no need for any plugin or external software.
Read chapter 25, "Multicam Editing", on DaVinci Resolve Reference Manual, page 513 on the DaVinci Resolve 15.3 Reference Manual.
Also, watch the (non-official) tutorial videos on the following links:

The first link is for Resolve 12 and the second for Resolve 14. The principles of multicam editing haven't changed between versions, though there are some minor changes in some sub-menus that one can find out by reading the relevant DaVinci Resolve manual, or by some experiments.
DaVinci Resolve Studio (latest stable) / Windows 10 Pro x64 / AMD 1920X / 32GB RAM / RX Vega56 8G.
BMPCC 6K + BMPCC 6K Pro.
Retired electronics technician and sound engineer, long-time amateur photographer, beginner hobbyist filmmaker for personal uses.

Uli Plank

PostThu May 02, 2019 10:42 am

As long as syncing by TC there is no problem. But syncing by audio works far better in PluralEyes.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Glenn Venghaus

Plural eyes alternative

PostThu May 02, 2019 11:01 am

I am a total Resolve fanboy , but have never trusted my non TC audio to Resolve. Never worked.
PluralEyes rules on that front and dead simple.
Used it for the last 4+ years on every version of resolve (in standalone mode, the n create a premiere xml en import that incl media in resolve)
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Reynaud Venter

PostThu May 02, 2019 11:27 am

Syncaila is preferred to Plural Eyes: https://syncaila.com

Glenn Venghaus

PostThu May 02, 2019 11:30 am

Aparantly syncalia does not do so well on very long clips as does pluraleyes with it unique drift compansation, but both are excellent tools for your audio toolbox.
Recommend to try both and see which better suits your workflow / material.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Drakulica

PostMon Jun 24, 2019 3:24 pm

Video why is Syncaila only solution for DaVinci Resolve users. (and better than Pluraleyes)

Glenn Venghaus

PostMon Jun 24, 2019 3:37 pm

Drakulica wrote:Video why is Syncaila only solution for DaVinci Resolve users. (and better than Pluraleyes)

Tnx for the link although most users here do not speak this language so less usefull than it could have been.
Also qualifications like better or worse depends on your workflow and usage case. Also the video shows an old version of Pluraleyes, which , while still good and had zero issues with it in the past , has been superseeded by a newer version long time ago.

The workflow demonstrated, using a timeline export / import with Davinci resolve works indeed better in Syncalia.
For standalone workflows or dailies sync , i have never had a single issue with Pluraleyes and have been using it for the last several years with all versions of Davinci Resolve since 12.5.
I can trow multiple cams, audios etc on Pluraleyes and it syncs flawless. Its is not for noting a very popular tool

Where pluraleyes shines is for very long clips sync (more typical for standalone clips/dailies sync), where it uses smart drift compensation to keep the audio in sync over very long clips (within limits )
I have not seen this feature in Syncalia (yet)

So again it depends on your workflow which program suits you better. "This program is better than that program" you should typicaly avoid (lessens the value of your posts) and just let users decide for themselves based on info available and your/others experiences you describe.

JoshuaBrown

PostTue Jun 25, 2019 9:24 pm

Syncalia is the only alternative I found that works if you're dealing with a lot of clips. The built in syncing is awful and can't sync at least half while syncalia gets them right every time. The biggest problem though is with multicamming. You have to import the xml back into Resolve then paste it inside of a multicam sequence that you already created. An annoying extra step.

antoine

PostWed Jun 26, 2019 1:10 pm

Hi,
If you're working with .BRAW files then there's a trick to import them in Red Giant Shooter PluralEyes, check out our link : https://autokroma.com/blog/Importing-BRAW-Plural-Eyes-Premiere-Pro/.

Then you can export the .XML and import it into PPro and work with .BRAW directly in Premiere Pro with our plugin BRAW Studio (Windows and Mac OSX) https://autokroma.com/BRAW_Studio/
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

Drakulica

PostWed Jun 26, 2019 1:52 pm

JoshuaBrown wrote:Syncalia is the only alternative I found that works if you're dealing with a lot of clips. The built in syncing is awful and can't sync at least half while syncalia gets them right every time. The biggest problem though is with multicamming. You have to import the xml back into Resolve then paste it inside of a multicam sequence that you already created. An annoying extra step.

I agree with you. Generaly I dont like how multicam work in DaVinci Resolve. The best multicam workflow is in Edius. So simple and powerful. I thing the only solution is that blackmagic create new tab like CUT tab just for multicam.

Sam Steti

PostWed Jun 26, 2019 3:17 pm

Hey,

Didn't have the opportunity to deeply watch the demo video, but I can tell I've eaten tons of multicam since FCP, and here in Resolve, the WF made of creating any multicam ISO that you empty and replace its contents (open in TL) by synced stacked tracks coming from PE is rock solid with a lot of clips too...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

teamnoir

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 7:24 pm

Reynaud Venter wrote:Syncaila is preferred to Plural Eyes: https://syncaila.com

I downloaded the trial, but it just crashes on XML import for me.

Reynaud Venter

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 7:37 pm

teamnoir wrote:I downloaded the trial, but it just crashes on XML import for me.
System spec? Crash log?

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190

teamnoir

PostFri Dec 20, 2019 1:22 am

teamnoir wrote:
Reynaud Venter wrote:Syncaila is preferred to Plural Eyes: https://syncaila.com

I downloaded the trial, but it just crashes on XML import for me.

I managed to get it to run, but when I import the XML it produces, it seems to place the clips on random tracks. I wrote them about it and they claim it's a Resolve bug.

/shrug

I took a quick look at the XML and I can see that it's different but I haven't delved into the fcpxml format deeply enough to be able to adjudicate whose bug it might be. But in the mean time, it doesn't seem as though Syncaila works very well with Resolve.

How are you getting around this "Resolve bug"?

Return to DaVinci Resolve