New Rokinon Cine Lens

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Bill Rich

New Rokinon Cine Lens

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 6:30 pm

Check out the new line of affordable Cine lenses Rokinon is releasing.. I'm definitely going to order the
14mm T3.1 as soon as I receive my BMC! Of course I'd love a set of Zeiss Compact Primes.. but my meager budget can't afford that yet..

Lenses available for EF mount (as well as Nikon F and Sony A mounts)
8mm T/3.8 Fisheye Cine Lens
14mm T3.1 Cine Lens
24mm T1.5 Cine Lens
35mm T1.5 Cine Lens

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Nt ... h=&ipp=100
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

Mark Wilhelm

Re: New Rokinon Cine Lens

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 7:52 pm

Bill Rich wrote:Check out the new line of affordable Cine lenses Rokinon is releasing.. I'm definitely going to order the
14mm T3.1 as soon as I receive my BMC! Of course I'd love a set of Zeiss Compact Primes.. but my meager budget can't afford that yet..

Lenses available for EF mount (as well as Nikon F and Sony A mounts)
8mm T/3.8 Fisheye Cine Lens
14mm T3.1 Cine Lens
24mm T1.5 Cine Lens
35mm T1.5 Cine Lens

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Nt ... h=&ipp=100

I love the affordability of these lenses, the built in lens gear and declicked aperture. Definitely buying one gently used as soon as I can afford to. :)

George Wharmby

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 12:16 am

With the crop, I wonder how fishy eye-ish, the fish eye would be. I've seen other 8mm lenses look normal.... If the crop would make it 'just wide' I'd buy it now!

Bill Rich

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 12:31 am

Go here and scroll down the images and you will see the Rokinon 8mm fisheye on the BMCC
http://www.onerivermedia.com/blog/?tag=bmcc

The Rokinon does have some barrel distortion.. but not as bad as the Canon 8-15mm at 8mm..

I just ordered the 14mm Cine lens!
Last edited by Bill Rich on Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

cgurtlinger

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 12:37 am

I'm def. Investing in all of them myself with my budget at the moment. Currently have the 35mm Cine Prime on order from B&H...It's backordered of course when I went to order online it says instock then my order goes through and it seems someone was quicker getting that last one ugh now Having to wait for them to get it back in stock now. Will be getting the rest as soon as possible though

Chris Chiasson

PostFri May 17, 2013 1:31 pm

Just wondering if the EF Blackmagic version needs an adapter or anything in order to use it, since Rokinon lens are MF.

Matthew Silver

PostFri May 17, 2013 1:40 pm

I have the 24, the 35, and the 85, and they are a dream to use. I absolutely love them. I ended up buying the Nikon mount and then putting EF adapters on them so that I could use them with other cameras that we have in house. But I highly recommend these lenses.

dallascurrie

PostFri May 17, 2013 2:34 pm

I have the 8mm, 24mm, 35mm, and 85mm, and I love them all. with the 8mm, I have been using the crumplepop "Fisheye fixer" plugin, and it straightens it out really well!

Iver Heen Ask

PostFri May 17, 2013 2:41 pm

What is the difference between the Cine lenses and normal EF-versions?
I have some of the normal versions for DSLR, and I really like them for shooting video also.

masterok

PostFri May 17, 2013 5:30 pm

Can someone who uses these lenses comment on the sharpness. You guys seem to all say you love them, when everywhere on internet people say these lenses are VERY soft after f3. I need some fast primes but not soft primes.

Trevor Zuck

PostFri May 17, 2013 5:39 pm

Chris Chiasson wrote:Just wondering if the EF Blackmagic version needs an adapter or anything in order to use it, since Rokinon lens are MF.

These are technically all Samyang EF lenses no adapter needed.

iverha wrote:What is the difference between the Cine lenses and normal EF-versions?
I have some of the normal versions for DSLR, and I really like them for shooting video also.

Cine version has a de-clicked manual iris and gears for follow focus systems. the manual iris is very nice to have.

masterok wrote:Can someone who uses these lenses comment on the sharpness. You guys seem to all say you love them, when everywhere on internet people say these lenses are VERY soft after f3. I need some fast primes but not soft primes.

there's been a few comparison videos and its sharpest around f3 and gradually loses sharpness up to f22 but f22 is sharper than f1.4/T1.5. but thankfully the BMCC is already highly detailed having a slightly less sharp lens compliments it well.
- TZ

Visual FX and Post Production Artist
Screenscape Studios

masterok

PostFri May 17, 2013 5:47 pm

masterok wrote:there's been a few comparison videos and its sharpest around f3 and gradually loses sharpness up to f22 but f22 is sharper than f1.4/T1.5. but thankfully the BMCC is already highly detailed having a slightly less sharp lens compliments it well.

I mean the other way. sorry. from 3 to 1.5
Last edited by masterok on Fri May 17, 2013 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iver Heen Ask

PostFri May 17, 2013 5:50 pm

masterok wrote:Can someone who uses these lenses comment on the sharpness. You guys seem to all say you love them, when everywhere on internet people say these lenses are VERY soft after f3. I need some fast primes but not soft primes.

The 24mm (as said in my above post I have the normal DSLR versions, but I'd guess they're the same in terms of glass quality) is the only one I don't own, I've heard it's softer than the other Samyang lenses at low apertures. But that is a typical thing for fast wide angle lenses.

The 14mm, 35mm and 85mm is great for the BMCC.
Remember that when you use lenses made for a full frame sensor, such as the Samyang lenses, you only use an area in the middle of the glass when you mount them on a crop sensor. Typically, you'll see softness in the corners on these lenses when used on a 5D. I see that even on the Canon 24mm f/1.4 II, which is about twice the price as the Samyang 24mm. But when mounted on the BMCC, you use the best area of all your full frame lenses.

On the BMCC you don't have autofocus anyway, and I think it's way better to have full control of your aperture, which is manually controlled on all of them.

To be honest, I don't see the big difference in Zeiss or Samyang lenses on a crop sensor.
And neither will your customers. ;)

And TZuck, thanks for answering my question.

Christian Schmeer

PostFri May 17, 2013 5:53 pm

According what was said on this forum, the 35mm T1.5 is the sharpest of the Rokinon/Samyang lenses.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

masterok

PostFri May 17, 2013 6:03 pm

thank you guys. definately will be getting them. What about that 8mm? I have checked out oneriver website, there is only that one picture. Could someone please comment on the distortion? Is really visible? is it easily fixable with a plugin or how do you go about it? Thanks.

Margus Voll

PostFri May 17, 2013 6:50 pm

In some sense some softness is not bad.

We use a lot ProMist here to mask hairpin sharpness in some material to get more filmic look.

I graded one feature that was shot with old soft lenses and with ProMist on red and it did look
so organic.

That could be the case if also with just a tad soft lenses.

Depends what you are after.

I will also get this range of lenses for my cam :D
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

Tom

PostFri May 17, 2013 9:55 pm

Soft/sharp are relative terms. For an absolute measurement, search for the MTF ratings on the lenses.

For my 35 1.4 @1.4 - it is a bit soft and fine details becomes a bit smudged. Even stopping to 2.8 makes a big improvement though - even f2 is not too bad.

Really though - they arent as soft as their price suggests. I think the biggest problem with the 35mm is its size and weight.

I wouldnt call it VERY soft at 1.4.

The 8mm is much more of an issue. That can be quite soft until about 5.6 - focusing is hard too!
Tom Majerski
Colourist at Tracks and Layers
http://www.Tracksandlayers.com
Motion Graphics - Colour Grading - VFX

Rudy Satria

PostSat May 18, 2013 5:50 pm

Tom wrote:
The 8mm is much more of an issue. That can be quite soft until about 5.6 - focusing is hard too!

i'm thingking to buy Samyang 8mm f3.5 (Fish Eye) for my wide shot. I need to know from anyone here about this lense on BMCC before i buy that lense.

Many thanks,
Rudy
Rudy Iskandar

Return to Cinematography