Does Using Converters Degenerate Outputted Signals?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

colourdesk

Does Using Converters Degenerate Outputted Signals?

PostTue Jul 02, 2019 2:23 am

Hi all,

I'm currently monitoring for colour with an older Eizo CG246. Using my Ultrastudio 3D's SDI outputs, I'm outputting to a BMD Mini Converter SDI to HDMI 6G, then outputting to an Eizo CG246's 1.4a HDMI connector. So...

Ultrastudio 3D :arrow: BMD Mini Converter SDI to HDMI 6G :arrow: Eizo ColorEdge CG246

Meanwhile in the Desktop Video app, I've set the SDI output to convert video to RGB 4:4:4.

The BMD Mini Converter SDI to HDMI 6G specs say it has HDMI Colour Precision for 4:4:4.

So on the surface it appears to work well, but there's no way of confirming from the monitor itself that the signal it's receiving is the same unscathed 10-bit 4:4:4 signal originally outputted from the Ultrastudio 3D.

I'm wondering if the double-handing of the outputted signal is degenerative. Could anyone could share some insight on this? It'd bring me great peace of mind.

Many thanks!

Myron Hobizal

Re: Does Using Converters Degenerate Outputted Signals?

PostFri Jul 05, 2019 11:01 pm

There is no degenerating with digital signals. The monitor should still be getting 4:4:4 10bit. The only way to confirm is to put up a ramp and look for 8-bit banding.

I have a similar setup and see no banding as long as SDI 4:4:4 is enabled:
Decklink Mini Monitor 4k -> Mini Converter SDI to HDMI 6G -> HDMI out to -> Eizo CG2420.

colourdesk

PostThu Jul 11, 2019 10:01 am

Myron Hobizal wrote:There is no degenerating with digital signals. The monitor should still be getting 4:4:4 10bit. The only way to confirm is to put up a ramp and look for 8-bit banding.

I have a similar setup and see no banding as long as SDI 4:4:4 is enabled:
Decklink Mini Monitor 4k -> Mini Converter SDI to HDMI 6G -> HDMI out to -> Eizo CG2420.

Thank you for your reply, Myron! You've brought me great peace of mind. :D

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Jul 11, 2019 8:24 pm

Just note that this is all true with good converters. Some may be just eg. 8bit (or 8bit for some modes which is not properly explained in manual).

Return to Post Production