how can I use DVR16 Cut to remove individual frames?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Blammar

how can I use DVR16 Cut to remove individual frames?

PostMon Jul 15, 2019 8:18 pm

I am a brand new user of Resolve. I just installed the free version of DVR16 beta.

I have zero experience with any video editing software, though I am very computer literate.

I have pulled together four clips from one of my family VHS tapes. The clips are about 25 minutes each. I figured out how to put them all into one timeline, each clip following the previous.

What I now want to do is remove adjacent frames from each clip. Say, there'll be about 200 sequential frames in the middle of one clip that's no good. I want to snip them out.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to select these frames and remove them.

Using shift-[ and shift-] can select frames but the part to the left of [ and the right of ] disappear from the timeline as soon as I press these values. So I don't think that's what I want to happen.

I do need a step by step like I was five years old description of what to do. Thanks in advance.

Jim Simon

Re: how can I use DVR16 Cut to remove individual frames?

PostTue Jul 16, 2019 1:43 pm

Blammar wrote:I figured out...

I always recommend against that for software of Resolve's complexity.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... e/training
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Blammar

PostTue Jul 16, 2019 9:38 pm

Two minor issues with using the existing training:

1. It's for DVR15, not DVR16. (And it seemed better for me to learn how to use Cut from the start, rather than get bogged down with the "obsolete" Edit approach.)

2. I'm hard of hearing, and the training videos aren't captioned. They do look good, but I am unable to follow the discussion.

Peter Cave

PostTue Jul 16, 2019 11:41 pm

Blammar wrote:Two minor issues with using the existing training:

1. It's for DVR15, not DVR16. (And it seemed better for me to learn how to use Cut from the start, rather than get bogged down with the "obsolete" Edit approach.)

2. I'm hard of hearing, and the training videos aren't captioned. They do look good, but I am unable to follow the discussion.

Use the edit page. It is not obsolete. There is no DVR16 training as it's still a beta release.

Mark in "I" key. Mark Out "O" key. Backspace to lift out of timeline, shift backspace to delete and close the gap.

If you don't know how to edit you REALLY NEED to do some training or go online and do a lot of research. Forums are generally not film school.
Resolve 18.6.2 Mac OSX 13.6 Ventura
Mac Studio Max 32GB UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Charles Bennett

PostWed Jul 17, 2019 7:25 am

Blammar, the Blackmagic videos, and many others, are captioned. Just click the CC button at the bottom of the video.
As to Resolve versions it doesn't matter. You need to get a grasp of first principles of editing and the training videos will help.
Resolve Studio 18.6.5 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Roen Davis

PostWed Jul 17, 2019 10:28 am

Is there a forum for surgery?
I just got a scalpel and thought that I could operate on my son's foot.
A step-by-step guide would suit me best....
the first bit was ok but I cant work out for the life of me how to stop the blood getting everywhere...

....sorry - long day. Couldn't help myself.
The manual for V15 will give everything you need to edit.
Once you have learned where the buttons are and what they do the V16 manual will be out.
to the deaf person the dancer appears mad

Mark Grgurev

PostSun Jul 21, 2019 5:23 pm

Blammar wrote:And it seemed better for me to learn how to use Cut from the start, rather than get bogged down with the "obsolete" Edit approach.)

Just one of the many problems with the Cut page being a thing.

Blammar

PostSun Jul 21, 2019 7:30 pm

Charles Bennett wrote:Blammar, the Blackmagic videos, and many others, are captioned. Just click the CC button at the bottom of the video.

The ones downloadable from the Blackmagic training pages are uncaptioned .mp4 files, so I didn't think to look for them on youtube, where they turn out to be captioned. Thanks, I'll start on these today.

Roen Davis wrote:Is there a forum for surgery?
the first bit was ok but I cant work out for the life of me how to stop the blood getting everywhere...

:D :D :D

Well, in faint justification for my initial request, my mental model is that a video is just a sequence of frames. Just like a text editor, I thought it would be easy to locate frames, snip them out, etc. and that functionality would be easy and clear to find in a video editor.

And in regards to learning Cut without learning Edit, I suppose I just wanted to "stand on the shoulders of giants." We don't bother to learn how to knapp flint anymore do we, but just whet our steel knives on the sharpener.

Mark Foster

PostSun Jul 21, 2019 8:39 pm

Mark Grgurev wrote:Just one of the many problems with the Cut page being a thing.

whoever sees problems here has not understood the cut page
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

Peter Cave

PostMon Jul 22, 2019 4:10 am

Blammar wrote:
Charles Bennett wrote:Blammar, the Blackmagic videos, and many others, are captioned. Just click the CC button at the bottom of the video.

The ones downloadable from the Blackmagic training pages are uncaptioned .mp4 files, so I didn't think to look for them on youtube, where they turn out to be captioned. Thanks, I'll start on these today.

Roen Davis wrote:Is there a forum for surgery?

:D :D :D

Well, in faint justification for my initial request, my mental model is that a video is just a sequence of frames. Just like a text editor, I thought it would be easy to locate frames, snip them out, etc. and that functionality would be easy and clear to find in a video editor.

And in regards to learning Cut without learning Edit, I suppose I just wanted to "stand on the shoulders of giants." We don't bother to learn how to knapp flint anymore do we, but just whet our steel knives on the sharpener.

My earlier post tells how to do it in the edit page. Those instructions also work for the Cut page. Did you miss my post?
Resolve 18.6.2 Mac OSX 13.6 Ventura
Mac Studio Max 32GB UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Blammar

PostMon Jul 22, 2019 4:32 am

Peter Cave wrote:My earlier post tells how to do it in the edit page. Those instructions also work for the Cut page. Did you miss my post?

No, I saw them. Thanks for the info, and I'm sorry for not thanking you earlier. I kind of got it to work, and then, metaphorically, the blood started spurting.

So it's clear to me I really should spend the time up front to "learn the alphabet" before "writing the novel." The captioned youtube videos work a lot better for me; thanks to whoever posted them.

Uli Plank

PostMon Jul 22, 2019 5:02 am

Check if the Rippletraining tutorials got captions, they already have one for the Cut page.
That said, Cut doesn’t replace Edit (nor is it more advanced). It just offers a different working style.
Maybe AI can help you. Or make you obsolete.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Return to DaVinci Resolve