Cannot see my keyframes

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ogcine

Cannot see my keyframes

PostSun Jul 21, 2019 11:19 pm

I cannot see the keyframes dots I create. The changes take effect in the edit page, but I can´t see the dots. Not in the color page keyfrane timeline, not in the edit page. Can´t see them for correction, effects or transitions. Please help

Harold Tomlinson

Re: Cannot see my keyframes

PostMon Jul 22, 2019 9:23 pm

I think that you are correct. When you do the keyframes on the edit page, you will not see them. I would love to have a keyframe editor there, but this is what I have figured out so far: (Hopefully someone can tell us a better way.)

You can change the keyframes on the edit page by using the Next and Previous icons that are on either side of the dot. If the dot is white, you are not on a key frame, Click on the next or previous and it will turn red and the play head will move to where the keyframe is. You can 'delete' it by clicking a red keyframe so that it turns white or just adjust the settings. I believe you can also right-click on the adjustment and select items from a menu that let you delete or set keyframes for the adjustment and/or for the set of adjustments (for example, x, y, and z offsets can be keyframes together by right-clicking above the x adjustment).
---
Resolve Studio 18.1.1 /Fusion Studio 18.1.1
Mac Pro 2019 - 2.5 GHz 28-Core 240 GB
- AMD Radeon Pro W5700X 16 GB + Radeon VII 16GB
BMPCC6k - BMPCC4k - GH5s - GH4 - GoPro Hero 7 Black
vimeo.com/haroldtomlinson
creacom.smugmug.com

Peter Cave

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 1:26 am

I'll just leave this here and recommend the User Manual as a source of information.

Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 11.24.37 am.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 11.24.37 am.png (438.24 KiB) Viewed 21557 times
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Marc Wielage

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 3:26 am

Peter Cave wrote:I'll just leave this here and recommend the User Manual as a source of information.

It's been asked before that a start keyframe and an end keyframe have different colors, and then maybe they'd be easier to distinguish (particularly on a complicated position curve). So far, that hasn't happened.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Harold Tomlinson

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 3:31 am

Thanks for leaving that image Peter. I was able to figure out what needed to be done from it.

It was still hard to find the information in the manual. I did find Chapter 28 on "Using Transition Curves" but that was not it. It referenced "clicking the Curve Editor button" so I searched for that. (A glossary, index, and or a icon description table would help a lot.)

While looking for that I came across Chapter 36 which has the answer to the original poster's question about the keyframes. To the original poster: see the section "Keyframing Effects in the Edit Page" for a description and a picture of the "Keyframe button".
---
Resolve Studio 18.1.1 /Fusion Studio 18.1.1
Mac Pro 2019 - 2.5 GHz 28-Core 240 GB
- AMD Radeon Pro W5700X 16 GB + Radeon VII 16GB
BMPCC6k - BMPCC4k - GH5s - GH4 - GoPro Hero 7 Black
vimeo.com/haroldtomlinson
creacom.smugmug.com

ogcine

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 11:51 am

Thank you all very much for the prompt response. I had figured out the keyframes on the edit page. However, my main problem is on the color page. The keyframes do no appear on the keyframe timeline for the clip. In every tutorial I watch, all it takes is to click on any diamond of any parameter on the inspector and a mark (or diamond, if you will) will automatically appear on the timeline. That is not happening. As I scrolll through the timeline and reach a point where there is a keyframe, the button on the inspector turns red to let me know there is a keyframe there, but it is not visible as it was on DR15 and in every tutorial I watch. Thank you again for the attention.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 10:19 pm

Edit page Inspector dynamics do not appear on the Color page keyframe list. This is the same in 15 and 16.

if you are referring to something different, a screen shot or 2 may be helpful.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Peter Cave

PostWed Jul 24, 2019 4:56 am

ogcine wrote:Thank you all very much for the prompt response. I had figured out the keyframes on the edit page. However, my main problem is on the color page. The keyframes do no appear on the keyframe timeline for the clip. In every tutorial I watch, all it takes is to click on any diamond of any parameter on the inspector and a mark (or diamond, if you will) will automatically appear on the timeline. That is not happening. As I scrolll through the timeline and reach a point where there is a keyframe, the button on the inspector turns red to let me know there is a keyframe there, but it is not visible as it was on DR15 and in every tutorial I watch. Thank you again for the attention.

To summarise: Edit Page keyframes and Colour Page keyframes are completely independent from each other. Colour Page keyframes only appear in the Colour Page keyframe panel.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

ogcine

PostMon Jul 29, 2019 1:25 am

I cannot figure this out. I have seeked help on YT but to no success. This youtuber from John's Films tried helping me. I created a video showing him my problem. If someone could please take a look and help, I would appreciate it.

hexspa

PostMon Aug 23, 2021 10:16 am

I'm just guessing here, Oscar, but maybe try creating a static keyframe instead.
9900K, 32GB, EVGA RTX 2060 Super, Z390 Aorus Pro, LG UHD Monitor; Windows 11 Home 21H2, Resolve 17.4.3.

PoorlyEdited

PostFri Dec 01, 2023 6:05 pm

I'm also having a problem with this. All I'm trying to do is do keyframing for subtitle text, as a way to add a sort of "pop-up" effect. But for some reason, the keyframe diamond icons that should be appearing on the right of subtitle customization settings simply aren't there anymore. From what I've seen in video tutorials on how to achieve this effect, it looks like this was a feature during the 18.5 update. So I'm not sure if maybe the recent update (18.6) might've taken out this small feature for the subtitle category. (P.S. I still do see the diamonds whenever I click on the video track, as opposed to the subtitle track. So it's not like it's completely vanished for me, I'm just confused as to why the feature isn't appearing for the subtitle track.) Any amount of help on this subject would be my savior at this point, because everything I've been scouring the internet for this ever since I ran into the problem, and I'm at a complete loss.

Paul Fisher

PostTue Dec 19, 2023 7:14 am

Peter Cave wrote:I'll just leave this here and recommend the User Manual as a source of information.

Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 11.24.37 am.png

Peter now do this with Composite keyframes and send a pic..
WORK MACHINE:
MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2021
Apple M1 Max 64 GB - Sonoma 14
2 TB Glyph and other thunderbolt SSDs

PERSONAL MACHINE:
MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2021
Apple M1 Max 64 GB - Sonoma 14
4 TB internal SSD

Return to DaVinci Resolve