No cut in cut page

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Charles Bennett

Re: No cut in cut page

PostMon Jul 22, 2019 6:31 am

Same here.
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Jim Simon

PostMon Jul 22, 2019 4:01 pm

To the best of my knowledge, the Cut icon is used to remove a transition, not to create a cut. It's doing exactly that for me in Studio 16b6 for Windows.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Jack Swart

PostMon Jul 22, 2019 7:10 pm

Selecting the dissolve and hitting DELETE also deletes the transition so I suspect that CUT is not working as advertised.

BLADE still works.

I wish Markers would work on the CUT page in TAPE mode. Would be so useful quickly selecting shots
DR Studio 18.6.3 b19, OS 13.2.1
2023 Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 20 core CPU, 48 core GPU, 128 GB ram
BM 3G ultra studio, 12TB SSDs in raid 0, 16TB HDD backup, 56TB archive server.
Tangent Elements panel, TV logic XVW-245W

Tom Early

PostMon Jul 22, 2019 10:27 pm

Australian Image wrote:
Jim Simon wrote:To the best of my knowledge, the Cut icon is used to remove a transition, not to create a cut. It's doing exactly that for me in Studio 16b6 for Windows.

In the earlier versions, I could set the marker at some point in the clip, press cut and it would place a cut in the clip. I'd move to another point and repeat, and then delete the unwanted part. Now nothing whatsoever happens.

I don't think that Cut button is intended to actually add an edit that doesn't already exist, you can use keyboard shortcuts for that. Those 3 buttons (Cut/Dissolve/Smooth Cut) are for changing the edit type at the nearest edit point (i.e. without the playhead needing to actually be on top of the edit point, thus saving time), so if the Cut button actually added a cut, then it would lose this smart/convenient functionality.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Tom Early

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 6:32 am

Australian Image wrote:
Tom Early wrote:I don't think that Cut button is intended to actually add an edit that doesn't already exist, you can use keyboard shortcuts for that. Those 3 buttons (Cut/Dissolve/Smooth Cut) are for changing the edit type at the nearest edit point (i.e. without the playhead needing to actually be on top of the edit point, thus saving time), so if the Cut button actually added a cut, then it would lose this smart/convenient functionality.

I'm quite certain that in the earlier Betas, I could cut sections from a clip in the cut page. The benefit was that it was extremely fast and precise compared to the edit page.

You still can, using the keyboard. ‘Fast’ doesn’t really describe using the mouse to click on-screen buttons though, are you talking about something else?

Jim Simon

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 8:48 pm

Australian Image wrote:In the earlier versions

I've no way to test that, but in watching the BMD video about the new CUT page, there was no mention of that capability. All they talked about was changing the transition type.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Tom Early

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 9:49 pm

Australian Image wrote:The icon for cut is still there in the cut page, but it now does absolutely nothing.

As I mentioned before, it changes the transition type of the nearest edit point to a Cut. Of course, there has to be a non-cut type edit point (i.e. an applied transition effect) for it to make any difference.
Last edited by Tom Early on Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Early

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 9:55 pm

Australian Image wrote:And to prove it was working

He doesn't use the icon, he uses a keyboard shortcut.

DigiKin

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 10:52 pm

Can you roll back to when it worked and show an example?

As others have noted doing it the way the gentleman does it in the video works. Are you talking about the cut icon next to dissolve and smooth cut icons? If you click it it still takes away transitions for me. Those are for changing the nearest cut to that transition. Or the cut icon when you right click the playhead? That still works for me.

I think rolling back to when it worked and showing us an example will help.
Resolve Studio 16(Current) | Windows 10 | Nvidia GTX 970 | i7-4770, 32GB RAM

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jul 24, 2019 12:18 am

@Ray: You are apparently mis-remembering.

cut_page_cut_icon.PNG
cut_page_cut_icon.PNG (3.04 KiB) Viewed 2306 times

I've just went through all 6 betas, and the Cut icon does not add a cut to the timeline in any of them.

In Beta 1, it does nothing. It's busted.

Look at the Cut icon in relation to the other 2 icons in that group, which are Dissolve and Smooth Cut. These are for transitions between clips. When you click the Dissolve or Smooth Cut icon, it will affect the clip boundary closest to the playhead. And it will convert that clip boundary to a dissolve or smooth cut.

The Cut icon is to convert either of those back to a ... cut.

And this is what it does in b2 through b6.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Peter Cave

PostWed Jul 24, 2019 12:46 am

Australian Image wrote:
DigiKin wrote:Can you roll back to when it worked and show an example?

As others have noted doing it the way the gentleman does it in the video works. Are you talking about the cut icon next to dissolve and smooth cut icons? If you click it it still takes away transitions for me. Those are for changing the nearest cut to that transition. Or the cut icon when you right click the playhead? That still works for me.

I think rolling back to when it worked and showing us an example will help.

I can't remember which iteration worked and I'm not sure that I want to try and revert several versions to find out which one worked. And I don't think it going to be of any use, for as soon as Resolve goes out of beta, we're stuck with what we have.

But yes, I'm referring to the dissolve and smooth cut icons. I just tried it again and right clicking does nothing (it does bring up the menu). Clicking on the dissolve or smooth cut icons places a dissolve or smooth cut at the beginning of the clip, not where the play head is located.

The Cut icon on the Cut Page has never worked that way. I have tested every R16 beta version on both Mac & Win. There IS a cut function but it's default mapping is Command/Control-X for deleting a marked selection. Command/Control-B adds an edit.

My preferred way to delete sections is to Mark IN, Mark OUT, and ripple delete. It's fast. No more keystrokes than you were using.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jul 24, 2019 1:16 am

You are aware that you can right click the Playhead and get a cut icon that will do what you want to do, yes? Or is this what you were referring to above?

playhead_right_click_cut.PNG
playhead_right_click_cut.PNG (5.24 KiB) Viewed 2285 times
Dwaine Maggart

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jul 24, 2019 1:46 am

You get what your image shows if you right click in the timeline thumbnail.

You get what my image shows if you right click on the Playhead icon itself.
Dwaine Maggart

Return to DaVinci Resolve