Increased GPU Needs Increased Storage?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

AlanLovesMagic

Increased GPU Needs Increased Storage?

PostTue Aug 06, 2019 8:11 pm

Hi everyone,

I am kind of a noob to developing creative applications here. I was just wondering, when you need to increase your GPU for certain applications (ex. high resolution video editing, 3D rendering, etc.), will you need to accommodate the increased GPU by having increased/faster storage capability?

I was thinking with the increased GPU, you would benefit from something like NVMe storage / NVMe RAID storage cards that have a high transfer rate and big bandwidth to accommodate these applications.

I know that GPU and storage have little to do with each other in terms of creating high level applications, but I was wondering if there would even be a need to have bigger and faster storage when GPU keeps increasing.

Have you guys ever come across a situation where you needed extra bandwidth and faster storage for your applications?

I would appreciate any insight... thank you!

Jack Fairley

Re: Increased GPU Needs Increased Storage?

PostTue Aug 06, 2019 10:53 pm

Complicated question, but yes, it's possible. If you can process data fast enough, you can eventually outstrip the disk's ability to write at that speed.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Return to Getting Started