Stickies

• Author

Jim Simon

Stickies

PostFri Aug 09, 2019 9:34 pm

Update:
I would love for Resolve to keep all changes made by the editor to tools, states, views, etc. until those things are manually changed again. Currently, Resolve will reset a great many interface options.

I want that to end. We made those changes on purpose. They should stick across sessions until we change them again.

Original post follows:
There are certain changes that editors can make to the user interface, tools, dialogs, etc. that just don't 'stick'. We have to change these things every time the dialog opens, or for every new project, or every time we restart Resolve.

This thread is for posting which items really annoy us because we have to keep changing them, which items we wish would stay the way we set them up until we change them again.

I'll start.

1. Clips on the Deliver page. I don't want 'em, ever. But I have to turn them off every time I restart Resolve.

2. Advanced Settings under Video on the Deliver page. I do want these, every time. Yet I have to open them up every time I restart Resolve.

3. Qualifier on the Color page. I very rarely use it, so I have to turn it Off every time I open a new project.

4. Timeline View Options on the Edit page. I'd love to set this up just once, and have every timeline in every project for every database use those Options by default.

5. Normalize Audio Level dialog. I always use A/85 for my projects. I'd love for the dialog to remember the last used setting. This 'memory' would persist across all projects in all databases.

6. New Multicam Clip. I always use the same settings here, as well, and would love for this one to also remember those settings across all projects and databases so that I only have to set them up once.

7. Loudness Metering preset, Fairlight page. (Accessed from the three dot menu for the Loudness Meter.) Like I said, I always use A/85, so I'd love for this to stick across all projects and databases until I change it.

What about you guys? Anyone else have anything they wish would stick, so we set them up only once?
Last edited by Jim Simon on Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: Stickies

PostSat Aug 10, 2019 3:01 am

Can you setup the machine as you like and save a workspace- layout preset and see If that helps?
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Jim Simon

PostSat Aug 10, 2019 3:37 am

No, that won't help with any of the mentioned issues. These are things BMD has to change in the progamming.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

BenSchranz

PostSat Aug 10, 2019 2:33 pm

Jim Simon wrote:There are certain changes that editors can make to the user interface, tools, dialogs, etc. that just don't 'stick'. We have to change these things every time the dialog opens, or for every new project, or every time we restart Resolve.

This thread is for posting which items really annoy us because we have to keep changing them, which items we wish would stay the way we set them up until we change them again.

I'll start.

1. Clips on the Deliver page. I don't want 'em, ever. But I have to turn them off every time I restart Resolve.

2. Advanced Settings under Video on the Deliver page. I do want these, every time. Yet I have to open them up every time I restart Resolve.

3. Qualifier on the Color page. I very rarely use it, so I have to turn it Off every time I open a new project.

4. Timeline View Options on the Edit page. I'd love to set this up just once, and have every timeline in every project for every database use those Options by default.

5. Normalize Audio Level dialog. I always use A/85 for my projects. I'd love for the dialog to remember the last used setting. This 'memory' would persist across all projects in all databases.

6. New Multicam Clip. I always use the same settings here, as well, and would love for this one to also remember those settings across all projects and databases so that I only have to set them up once.

7. Loudness Metering preset, Fairlight page. (Accessed from the three dot menu for the Loudness Meter.) Like I said, I always use A/85, so I'd love for this to stick across all projects and databases until I change it.

What about you guys? Anyone else have anything they wish would stick, so we set them up only once?

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes

5-7. Meh

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Jim Simon

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 4:10 pm

BenSchranz wrote:5-7. Meh

I'll take as many of these as BMD wants to give me.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

BenSchranz

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 4:37 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
BenSchranz wrote:5-7. Meh

I'll take as many of these as BMD wants to give me.
Yes it would be nice haha.

Reynaud Venter

PostSun Aug 18, 2019 9:33 am

Jim Simon wrote:7. Loudness Metering preset, Fairlight page. (Accessed from the three dot menu for the Loudness Meter.) Like I said, I always use A/85, so I'd love for this to stick across all projects and databases until I change it.
Always use EBU R128 here, and Resolve retains this setting between application restarts on my systems.

Jim Simon

PostSun Aug 18, 2019 11:23 pm

Reynaud Venter wrote:Resolve retains this setting between application restarts

Does it do so for new projects? In a different database?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Marc Wielage

PostMon Aug 19, 2019 2:49 am

waltervolpatto wrote:Can you setup the machine as you like and save a workspace- layout preset and see If that helps?

What I do is save these in an empty session which I call a "Template." That way, all of these specific project-wide settings are intact with a specific project. When I need to start a similar project, I just open a template, save it under the new session name, then bring in the media and start working.

I do agree that more attention should be made to Resolve's state for different settings: for example, if you turn Live Preview off and save the session, it should stay off the next time that project is opened. At the moment, it turns back on, which I believe is an inconvenience and a design flaw. (I get that this is subjective.)
Last edited by Marc Wielage on Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Reynaud Venter

PostMon Aug 19, 2019 6:13 am

Jim Simon wrote:Does it do so for new projects? In a different database?
Resolve always defaults to the first item in the Loudness Meter's Additional Options listing (i.e. BS.1770-1).

Setting the Loudness Metering preference once will apply across all current and newly created Projects within that same Database.

Vit Reiter

PostMon Aug 19, 2019 4:23 pm

1. Yes!
It has no logic to open by default. On the contrary, it must remember the last user settings as on other pages.

2. No.
It has logic to open by default.

3. No commnets.

4. Yes.
Maybe it has logic to be open by default but Yes. :) It'll be more practical.

5. No.

6. No commnets.

7. No.

I add

8. On Edit Page remember open/hide section Cropping, Dynamic Zoom, Stabilization, etc., pls!
It must remember the last user settings.
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.6 Studio (macOS Monterey 12.7.4)
Mac Pro 2013, AMD FirePro D700, 64GB RAM

Film Editor, Colorist, DIT, Datalab technician
linkedin.com/in/vít-reiter-film-editor

Jim Simon

PostMon Aug 19, 2019 6:13 pm

Reynaud Venter wrote:Setting the Loudness Metering preference once will apply across all current and newly created Projects within that same Database.

Really?

I'm constantly changing it here.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Dennis Fassbaender

PostThu Aug 22, 2019 6:11 pm

Is it possible to save the actual working-folder with the Resolve project?
So when opening a project, and then jump to the mediapage the last opened folder will be opened automaticly.
Actually we need to navigate to our project-folder each time we restart Resolve.

Jim Simon

PostMon Aug 26, 2019 3:04 pm

Dennis Fassbaender wrote:we need to navigate to our project-folder each time we restart Resolve.

For now, you can set up Favorites.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

casterle

PostWed Aug 28, 2019 5:03 pm

It seems whenever I open the Fairlight page inspector, all of the items contained within are expanded. This is OK if there's only one or two, but if there are several it's a pain!

I propose that items in the Inspector retain their state, and that the initial state be open when the item is added.
Windows 11 x64, Ryzen 9 3950X, 64GB, RTX 2080Ti + 1 4K and 2 WUXGA (1920x1200) Monitors, XP-Pen Deco Pro, Behringer X-Touch Mini

Jim Simon

PostThu Aug 29, 2019 1:25 pm

"Addressed an issue where the new multicam dialog would not remember last used settings"

Ooooh, looks like my item 6 has been granted in the new 16.1b2.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostThu Aug 29, 2019 1:26 pm

"Addressed an issue where the normalize audio levels dialog would not remember last used settings"

Item 5, also. Sweet!
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Robin Davies-Rollinson

PostFri Sep 20, 2019 1:12 pm

Is there any way that I can increase the brightness of the text on the workspace? I like the dark grey background, but I wish the lettering could have more contrast...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim Simon

PostSun Sep 22, 2019 12:26 am

That doesn't seem at all related to this thread, Robin. You should probably start a new one for that request.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Pedro Dias

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 6:12 pm

Make cache settings sticky please. I can't get anything done without "Smart" cache enabled
Med vennlig hilsen / Regards,

_________
Pedro Dias
- DaVinci Resolve Studio -
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt

John Holt

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 9:51 pm

0O6dVqg8Bk.png
0O6dVqg8Bk.png (44.5 KiB) Viewed 12955 times
Pedro Dias wrote:Make cache settings sticky please. I can't get anything done without "Smart" cache enabled

Hi. You can make some changes in the project settings to achieve this.
Windows 10 Pro
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.60 GHz
64GB RAM
GTX1650 4GB :(
Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB 1000.2 GB
Dual Monitors 32" & 27" Samsung
BM Multidock
Speed Editor
DR Studio Latest Version Fusion Studio Latest Version

Jim Simon

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 10:05 pm

I'd like to add Smart Bin>Keywords to the list of things I wish would stay the way I leave it, so that I don't have to keep putting it the way I want it.

If I drop that list of Keyword Smart Bins down, leave it down. Don't make me keep doing that every [bleep]ing time I open the project. Grrrrr!
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Skiess

PostWed Jan 29, 2020 4:58 pm

Remember edit index view

Every time I open a project I have to re-set what I want to show in the edit index (markers in my case).
It would be logical if this view setting was saved with the project.
Or if that's not possible simply remembered by Resolve.

allenrowand

PostTue Mar 10, 2020 7:46 pm

More things that would be great to have stored with the project:
- The source viewer mode, i.e source or multicam
- The multicam edit mode, i.e video only or audio and video
- Timeline view option, i.e. stacked timelines

It's a drag to have to reconfigure the workspace every time I open a project.
Davinci Resolve Studio 18.5 build 41

MacBook Pro 14" Max, MacOS 13.5, 32 GB RAM, 24 GPU cores

joymonger

PostWed Apr 15, 2020 3:45 pm

Skiess wrote:Remember edit index view

Every time I open a project I have to re-set what I want to show in the edit index (markers in my case

This one is a real issue for me, I use markers extensively and have even created a column layout which you can persist by creating a workspace. But the filter doesn't get persisted.
MBP M1Max

Jim Simon

PostFri Jun 12, 2020 3:22 pm

allenrowand wrote:- The multicam edit mode, i.e video only or audio and video

That one gets me often, as well. I only ever cut Video. Wouldn't mind if that setting stuck across all projects.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Mark Grgurev

PostTue Jun 30, 2020 5:03 pm

joymonger wrote:This one is a real issue for me, I use markers extensively and have even created a column layout which you can persist by creating a workspace. But the filter doesn't get persisted.

What would be even better than that is if they brought the Edit Index from the Fairlight page into the Edit page. Fairlight's Edit Index includes a tab just for Markers that can be viewed as thumbnails or a list view.

andrewwhiteley

PostWed Jul 01, 2020 8:46 am

Would it be possible to make the Timecode Window open and remember it's previous size and position when opening Resolve, because this does not seem to be saving when I create a layout pre-set?

bellerandre

PostTue Jul 21, 2020 11:44 pm

Retime controls.

Currently, when closing a project - or even just switching timelines - the Retime controls on clips will close themselves. I'd prefer they stay open until I close them manually.

Furthermore, I always set mine to "Retime Speed" instead of "Retime Frame". Currently, it will revert itself back to Retime Frame, but I'd like it to remain on my selection of Retime Speed.

Jim Simon

PostSat Jul 25, 2020 7:23 pm

The Layout on the Fusion page resets every time I switch to another page and back.

That should just stay until it's manually changed again, without having to 'save' it in any way.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Mel Matsuoka

PostSat Jul 25, 2020 7:38 pm

I’d like to add Clip group selection in the Node Graph as one of those things that should be “sticky”. It’s the main reason why I avoid using Clip Grouping, even though I really want to be able to use them more often.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=98085

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

bellerandre

PostSat Jul 25, 2020 8:33 pm

Jim Simon wrote:The Layout on the Fusion page resets every time I switch to another page and back.

That should just stay until it's manually changed again, without having to 'save' it in any way.

Yes. Just last night I had a timeline with two stacked clips. I wanted to edit the Fusion clip on Video Track 1. But of course Fusion would always default to the clip on track 2.

I get that the playhead "sees" track 2 first, but maybe it should prioritize the selected clip?

Jim Simon

PostSat Jul 25, 2020 9:22 pm

That would be a different feature, Andre.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostMon Jul 27, 2020 6:17 pm

I'd like to add the Bypass to this list. I had it set to Bypass only Color effects, leaving Fusion effects in place.

After a restart of Resolve, that was reset.

I really wish this software would stop resetting things on its own. I set it for a reason. If I want it reset, I will reset it.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostMon Jul 27, 2020 6:26 pm

Loop playback in the Fusion page should stay as it's set. It keeps turning on by itself.

That's annoying.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostThu Jul 30, 2020 3:58 pm

Show All Frames in the Viewer menu keeps resetting as well.

C'mon BMD. Stop coding the program to change our settings on its own.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Mel Matsuoka

PostThu Jul 30, 2020 6:49 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I'd like to add the Bypass to this list. I had it set to Bypass only Color effects, leaving Fusion effects in place.

After a restart of Resolve, that was reset.

This is one of those things I actually don't want Resolve to make sticky. I can see it being handy when working with Fusion, but for the Color page, oftentimes a restart is the only way to "fix" puzzling and unexpected UI states. Accidentally enabling Bypass without realizing it is often one of the causes of these situations.

Of course, this would not be necessary if Resolve was better designed to make such states more obvious in the UI in the first place, as I have discussed in these posts:

Better UI indicators that a grade has been disabled

Warn when changing locked nodes + Icon Color
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

Jim Simon

PostThu Jul 30, 2020 7:33 pm

Mel Matsuoka wrote:Accidentally enabling Bypass without realizing it is often one of the causes of these situations.

Sorry Mel, I may have misstated by earlier request.

What I meant was that Bypass can work on Color, Fusion, or both. The default is both.

So when I set Bypass to operate only on Color, I want it to stay that way until I change it again.

At least for that project.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Mel Matsuoka

PostWed Aug 05, 2020 1:15 am

Another "non sticky" option that annoyed me today:

"Show Timecode Overlays" in the Edit Page viewer

Mel Matsuoka

PostWed Aug 05, 2020 1:17 am

And another one:

"Enable Preview During Editing"

As a colorist/finishing editor, I almost NEVER want this option on by default when conforming edits using Trim controls in the Edit page. When I turn it off, it should stay off!

Jim Simon

PostWed Aug 05, 2020 1:28 am

Both good options.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Mel Matsuoka

PostFri Aug 28, 2020 9:22 am

And how could I forget “Live Preview” in gallery bins?

This is such a polarizing feature that it’s frustrating that it doesn’t preserve the colorist’s preference for it across restarts.

If I turn it off, it should stay off until I say otherwise!

Jim Simon

PostFri Aug 28, 2020 3:13 pm

I'm starting to think that every single function of the software should stay the way it's put by the user. I don't like my software changing my settings without my intervention.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Mel Matsuoka

Stickies

PostFri Aug 28, 2020 6:19 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I'm starting to think that every single function of the software should stay the way it's put by the user. I don't like my software changing my settings without my intervention.

I think I’m inclined to agree with you. Although there are always enough exceptions that I can see that it would be challenging to decide which options don’t remain sticky (disabled grades and Highlight mode would be a couple of those options that I personally wouldn’t want to be sticky)

Jim Simon

PostFri Aug 28, 2020 6:21 pm

I would want them to be sticky. Everything should be sticky.

If I put it that way, it's because I want it that way. Leave it that way until I UNput it that way, is what I'm saying. :)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Mel Matsuoka

PostFri Aug 28, 2020 7:15 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I would want them to be sticky. Everything should be sticky.

If I put it that way, it's because I want it that way. Leave it that way until I UNput it that way, is what I'm saying. :)

I absolutely agree with you in principle. But there are times when certain features are accidentally invoked, such as qualifier/window highlight mode or disabled grades, and making everything "sticky" would make it very difficult to recover from confusing UI states like this, because restarting Resolve--the general solution to these problems--would not reset these options to their previous states.

There are certain features like that which are only intended to be used in temporary states (I don't know of any legitimate use case for always leaving highlight mode on while working across Resolve sessions), and as such, it makes sense for such options to be excluded from global stickiness.

tlegvold

PostSat Sep 12, 2020 6:11 am

Why wouldn't "Reset UI Layout" fix that?

Mel Matsuoka wrote:
Jim Simon wrote:I would want them to be sticky. Everything should be sticky.

I absolutely agree with you in principle. But there are times when certain features are accidentally invoked, such as qualifier/window highlight mode or disabled grades, and making everything "sticky" would make it very difficult to recover from confusing UI states like this, because restarting Resolve--the general solution to these problems--would not reset these options to their previous states.

There are certain features like that which are only intended to be used in temporary states (I don't know of any legitimate use case for always leaving highlight mode on while working across Resolve sessions), and as such, it makes sense for such options to be excluded from global stickiness.
Desktop: 2019 Mac Pro 16 Core CPU 192GB RAM | AMD Radeon W5700X 16GB | OS X Monterey 12.7
Fairlight Audio Accelerator CC-2 | Audio Interface SX-36 | Audio Editor (FAE) | Studio Console
Mobile: 2023 16" M3 Max MacBook Pro 64GB RAM | OS X Sonoma 14.3

tlegvold

PostSat Sep 12, 2020 6:16 am

In Fairlight - Please Leave the Inspector the way I left it.

E.g. if I "close" a bunch of sections (gain, pan, speed, etc), *leave them closed* the next time I open the Inspector, rather than opening everything back up (and making it really arduous to navigate and scroll, especially with a few plugins that have literally a hundred variables each).

As it is, everytime I close and reopen the inspector, all the sections have been expanded out again, and I can either scroll (far) past them, or close them all again. The problem is that they won't *stay closed*.

That would actually save me a not insignificant amount of time. Simple stuff like this makes a big difference in a day to day workflow.

If not from session to session, at least within the same session (i.e. since I started Resolve and have been working in the App without quitting it).
Desktop: 2019 Mac Pro 16 Core CPU 192GB RAM | AMD Radeon W5700X 16GB | OS X Monterey 12.7
Fairlight Audio Accelerator CC-2 | Audio Interface SX-36 | Audio Editor (FAE) | Studio Console
Mobile: 2023 16" M3 Max MacBook Pro 64GB RAM | OS X Sonoma 14.3

Jim Simon

PostSat Sep 12, 2020 4:16 pm

Mel Matsuoka wrote:there are times when certain features are accidentally invoked

Honestly, my preference for solving Operator Error issues has always been "pay more attention".
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostSat Sep 12, 2020 4:20 pm

Mel Matsuoka wrote:I don't know of any legitimate use case for always leaving highlight mode on while working across Resolve sessions

Maybe the colorist is just taking a break? Or restarting either the software or the entire machine to solve another issue? Or done for the day and wants to pick up exactly where he left off?

I just can't give up the idea that if a change was made on purpose, it should stay that way until it's purposefully changed again.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests