Media management and naming advice

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Singularity

Media management and naming advice

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 12:13 am

I'm interested to know what approach people are taking to media management, metadata, and naming in resolve?

I'm currently trying to organize a project shot over two days with two different cameras and several locations.

I can easily put in the location / scene metadata by selecting multiple clips.
But I would also like to give the clips meaningful names. (without naming each individual clip manually).

I thought I might be able to name them something like "scene - shot". But that means I have to go through each clip and manually enter the shot number first. Is there a more efficient or automated way of doing this?
Or is there a better way I might be able to organize my media ?

Curious to know how other people organize their projects.
Thanks
Resolve 18 Studio. Windows 11 Pro. Ryzen 2700x. GTX 3060. 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 RAM. ASUS Crosshair x370.

Jason Conrad

Re: Media management and naming advice

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 3:30 am

Methodologies for this are going to vary from project to project, and the responsibility usually falls to an assistant of some sort. It always helps to slate everything on set, keep your methods for that consistent, and to avoid rolling too far before the director calls for a marker.

On the DaVinci side, if you're the one entering all the info, there are a few tricks, and I'm sure I don't know them all. One of them is to use tokens wherever you can. Try typing a percent symbol in an input field; the clip name field is a good place to start. You'll get a dropdown selection of attributes which are available to auto-populate the field. You can also select these tokens, copy them, and paste them into a text editor to see how they're actually formatted, and save combinations for re-use. For example, try pasting this text into the clip name field, without the quotation marks: "%{Project Name}_S%{Scene}_S%{Shot}_T%{Take}". If your camera metadata contains scene, shot and take information, when you hit return, the clip name will become something like "MyProject_S1_S5_T4". It's up to you to decide what naming conventions to use, what's helpful, and what information is available.

Also, check out smart bins.
-MacBook Pro (14,3) i7 2.9 GHz 16 GB, Intel 630, AMD 560 x1
-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

Singularity

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 10:13 am

Thank you. I was aware of the % variables, and it's definitely a useful tool. But I still find I need to do a lot of manual entry. Unfortunately I'm a one man team, so no assistant or anything like that.

Smart bins combined with keywords are really useful.
Unfortunately they don't seem to be available in the cut page yet.
Resolve 18 Studio. Windows 11 Pro. Ryzen 2700x. GTX 3060. 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 RAM. ASUS Crosshair x370.

L Gius

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 10:40 am

Hello
My workflow is Mync as clip management with keywords. Then transfer to Davinci Resole.

To bring the keywords to Davinci Resolve I wrote a small Lua-Script. This simplifies the whole handling very much.

I put the script including the description on my homepage.

You can download it under
segelspass.net/DavinciResolve.html

At the moment the description is only available in German, but it is very easy to use.

I will try to create an english description in one, two days.

Hardy

Jim Simon

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 1:26 pm

Singularity wrote:Smart bins combined with keywords

That's how I organize things.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Jim Simon

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 1:27 pm

Singularity wrote:Unfortunately they don't seem to be available in the cut page yet.

The CUT page isn't the best option for every project.

The EDIT page will work for every project.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

L Gius

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 3:43 pm

Singularity wrote:
Smart bins combined with keywords

That's exactly what my script above does.
Mync Beschreibung_001.jpg
Transfer Mync to DVR-01
Mync Beschreibung_001.jpg (279.68 KiB) Viewed 1243 times

Mync Beschreibung_002.jpg
Transfer Mync to DVR-02
Mync Beschreibung_002.jpg (190.39 KiB) Viewed 1243 times

Singularity

PostThu Aug 15, 2019 2:15 am

L Gius wrote:
That's exactly what my script above does.

This looks interesting, but I'm not sure if I understand exactly what's going on.. What is this doing that can't be done in resolve?
Thanks

L Gius

PostThu Aug 15, 2019 4:17 pm

Hello Singularity

Mync is a media management tool, where you can easily manage clips, sounds etc. and above all, easily and relatively quickly tagging keywords. Time saving for me is compared to DVR at least factor 3 to 4. The keywords are stored in a database and are thus connected to the clips.

If I now look for one or more clips from my pool and want to bring them to DVR I export them as FCP XML including the media. In DVR an import of XML is started afterwards and I have all clips in the Mediapool.

So far everything is ok, but what I still need are the Keywords and the Smart Bins.
I wrote the script to make them available in DVR.
The keywords are read directly by Mync and imported into DVR and the Smart Bins are created at the same time.
So I have the same keywords everywhere and very little effort to manage my media.

I hope I could explain this to you with my modest English.

The easiest way is to get a demo of Mync and try it out.
By the way, I have nothing to do with Mync. I was just looking for a workflow that I could do and then I came across it.

L. Gius

Return to DaVinci Resolve