Extreme 3D start

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

cchen@raystream.com

Extreme 3D start

PostMon Sep 10, 2012 10:26 pm

Hi,
We have a DeckLink HD Extreme 3D card, I installed the newest Desktop Video 9.6.4 for Windows software, I am using Windows 7 64bit, I set input and output are HDMI, I connected HDMI output to my monitor, and input video from HDMI input port, I couldn't see anything on monitor, and couldn't capture any video on Media Express window.

Please help me to find the reason.

Thanks

Chen

Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

Re: Extreme 3D start

PostTue Sep 11, 2012 4:03 pm

First, make sure that in your Control Panel settings for Blackmagic you have your Set Input dropdown selected for HDMI Video & HDMI Audio if this is your intended input format. Then make sure that the resolution of your source is properly set in Media Express preferences under Project Video Format.

Also, make sure that the HDMI video source you are using is not an HDCP (copy protected) source. Sources with HDCP transmitted via HDMI cables typically include Blu-ray players, DVD players, Playstation 3 consoles, and similar devices. If you have an HDCP source, you might swap out the HDMI cable for a component cable.
Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

cchen@raystream.com

PostTue Sep 11, 2012 8:17 pm

Thanks Sarah,
I found this card won't work when it is plugged into a PCIe x8 socket, but manual said yes. I plugged it into PCIe x16 socket, I can get video from HDMI output port. But when I use Media Express to capture video, there was error window jump out, it says Media Express could not capture the clip. One or more frames were dropped.

Also, I have a camera with composite analog output, I plugged it to cable 4 composite Y in, and set control panel "Set input" to Composite Video(Y in), I can't see any video on HDMI output, and can't capture any video in Media Express.

Thanks

Chen

cchen@raystream.com

PostTue Sep 11, 2012 10:25 pm

Hi Sarah,

I read the manual, page 8 getting started, in Windows 7 system, after installed Desktop Video software, 10 applications should installed, but I can't find:

Blackmagic AVI and QuickTime codecs,
Adobe Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop presets and plug-ins,
Avid Media Composer 6 plug-ins,
eyeon Fusion plug-ins.

I used workstation HP XW4600, it is not on the certified list, could you please tell I does this workstation
support Extreme 3D card.

Thanks

Chen

Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Sep 11, 2012 11:31 pm

Despite not officially supporting the HP XW4600, based on the spec sheet, I can't see any specific reason why the DeckLink HD Extreme 3D would not work. However, I don't have any information on if we have tested this particular system and if so, what kind of results were seen.

If you are seeing an error regarding dropped frames, this points to a read/write issue with the hard drive. I would recommend running Disk Speed Test on whichever drive you are capturing to in order to determine if it is capable of reading and writing at the required speed for your source's resolution and frame rate. For uncompressed video, you would likely want a RAID 0 configuration or an SSD. If you are capturing to your internal drive or similar, you might consider looking at the Motion JPEG compression option in the Media Express preferences.

When you are connecting a composite video signal, this is a standard definition signal. Some HDMI monitors do not support standard definition over HDMI. You will want to make sure that your monitor is capable of this. Also, in Media Express you will want to change your Project Video Format to the proper standard definition format that your camera is outputting, such as NTSC.

In regards to the installations that are listed in the manual, those plug-ins are related to other software applications that you may or may not have installed on your system, such as Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere to name a few. These plug-ins have no bearing on getting Media Express to input and output video. They will be located on your system in the following location:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Blackmagic Design\Blackmagic Desktop Video\

A copy of these plug-ins is included in the driver and saved here. If these particular programs are detected on your system, the driver will place a second copy in the appropriate location on your system. If you installed the driver, the original copies will be on your system, but as I said, they will have no bearing on getting picture to come in and out of Media Express because they are specific to third party software.
Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

cchen@raystream.com

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 3:54 pm

Thanks Sara,
I found this card doesn't work when I plug it into PCIe x8 slot( according to the manual), it only works on x16 slot, can you tell is that true?

I want to use this card to capture dual 1080p video streams on our server, please tell me server's hardware requirement, like CPU, hard drive, memory, graghic card( I use Radeon HD 7970 now, is it OK?) or others.

Thank you

Chen

Junior Ikenwa

Re: Extreme 3D start, dropping frames

PostSun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Hi,
i enjoyed Extreme 3d card for a while and suddenly it began to drop frames, i use to capture blackmagic uncompress video hd 50i and it was ok and suddenly
have this problem of dropping frames during capture, I've spent a hell of money trying to solve this problem, i change my hard disc from black edition Raid 0, to Verociraptor Raid 0 configuration, change my motherboard , Rampage 111 asus, i use PCIe 16 slot, bought quadro 5000 nvidia graphic card, the problem is still there, how can i solve this problem,
my spec, win7 64 bit, 12 gig ram, 1x2 verociraptor raid 0 hard drive, Rampage 3 Asus Motherboard,
nvidia quadro 5000, graphic card, core 17 processor 990, premiere pro. avid studio, pinnacle studio,
davinci Resolve, Daz studio4, prodad adorage, photoshop elemnet 9,
please can someone advice me what to do, if the problem is from the card ,Thanks

Return to Getting Started